SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
rosenblad

Re: SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Post by rosenblad »

I have just completed my track plan based on Roco GeoLine track using SCARM. This program is simply great! It's easy to use as well! Highly recomended!
Carpe Diem!
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

Thank you Rosenblad :)

If you want to share your SCARM design, post about it in the forum or send it to me to Image.

Here are the SCARM railway blog posts for November.

See also the recently posted Virtual HO-Scale railcars with military vehicles, which are also suitable for using in OO gauge layouts for those, who are modelling layouts with military scenery.

Mixy
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

Mixy, here it is!

Not exactly complicated, but fun anyway!
Carpe Diem!
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

Cool plan :) It is not needed to be complicated, just needed to be enough for fun with the running trains on it ;)

And here is the list with SCARM railway blog posts for December.

Don't miss the last post for 2015 which is representing the beautiful Badalona train station in N scale as virtual model in SCARM :)

Mixy
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

Here is the only post in SCARM Railway Modelling Blog for January:

Reset SCARM Settings to Defaults

Use the method, described above if you want to revert to default settings and/or if you have troubles when starting the program - resetting can be of help.

I am in process of finishing some new features in SCARM and the next version will be released soon :)

Mixy
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

Check the recently published post in the blog about Various Tanks & Water Towers in HO Scale and use these in your own HO or OO layouts.

And the SCARM Railway Modelling Blog post for February is about possible Discrepancy Between Elements on the Layout and the Parts List - check it to see what are the most common causes for that.

Mixy
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

The new version SCARM 0.9.32 is ready and published, coming with new Flip and Rotate features and many new and updated track libraries. Read more details here:

SCARM Model Railway Layout Software 0.9.32 Released

This version also fixes several annoying bugs that may appear in the older releases, so update is recommended :)

Mixy
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

Here are the SCARM Railway Blog posts for March and April.

The next version of the program is on the the way, so check the SCARM website regularly :)

Mixy
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Mixy wrote:I want to introduce my freeware layout design program, called SCARM, which you can download and test from www.scarm.info.
It looks interesting, but I only saw mention of Windows when I looked at the system requirements. Will it run on a Mac?
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

Only under a windows emulator (or whatever they're called) such as Parallels.
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Roger (RJ) wrote:Only under a windows emulator (or whatever they're called) such as Parallels.
I thought that might be the case, which would mean spending up to $100 to run a free program. I think I'll give it a miss.
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

Well, SCARM is for Windows only, but there is an option for running it also on Mac platform without spending a cent. See about that here:

Running SCARM on Apple Mac

With the help of another free-for-personal-use software package and having SCARM already on your PC, it may run also on any mobile device, such as iPad or Android tablets:

Using SCARM on iPad and Android Tablets

Mixy
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Mixy wrote:Well, SCARM is for Windows only, but there is an option for running it also on Mac platform without spending a cent. See about that here:

Thanks for that. I'll check it out later.
railsquid

Post by railsquid »

Mixy wrote:Well, SCARM is for Windows only, but there is an option for running it also on Mac platform without spending a cent. See about that here:

Holy Bovine, it actually works. Apart from the 3D view, same issues as on Linux I presume. Also space ("repeat last task") doesn't seem to work.

However I'd like to point out that the above blog link says:
read Installing Wine on Mac OS X [External link] by David Baumgold – detailed guide about installing WINE and using Windows applications on Mac with it.
Note that the linked blog explains the installation using Homebrew, which is fine if you are technically minded and use Homebrew, but the Wine wiki says there are OS X packages available, which should be easier to install without resorting to the terminal. (For the record, suffering from a technical mind, I installed Wine via Macports, which is similar to Homebrew).
railsquid

Post by railsquid »

Wolseley wrote:
Roger (RJ) wrote:Only under a windows emulator (or whatever they're called) such as Parallels.
I thought that might be the case, which would mean spending up to $100 to run a free program. I think I'll give it a miss.
If you have an unencumbered Windows installation media available, "VirtualBox" is a free emulation software which enables you to install Windows (or any other OS) on a virtual machine on your Mac. I use it under Linux mainly to run SCARM.