Beaglington-On-Sea 00 gauge in 6ft by 4ft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Alexander Court

Re: Beaglington-On-Sea 00 gauge in 6ft by 4ft

Post by Alexander Court »

Small update time!
So, at long last, there was a Hornby Terrier(NEW) replacement motor in the NRM shop so I snapped it up, but due to the ongoing cyber attack repercussions with the Royal Mail it still might take a little while to get Merton up and running again (And it better not fail again!) In the meantime I have managed to secure a bargain old style Dapol terrier in southern green (2635) from the Widnes crowd that I will eventually ship over to Ireland.

The most irritating thing is that once again Hornby are once again taking the **** with the Ruston 88DS. I can't believe how late it is now after showing off the same samples twice, a year and a half apart (Feb 2021 youtube video and then late in 2022 exhibitions). I get that they have been having issues, and I totally understand what Simon Kohler was getting at in his explanation of delays and his frustration too, and I know this is meant to be a catch up year, but still, it's been moved back so many times I don't know why they even do an expected arrival thing anymore for it. AFTER Simon had a go at us impatient people, it still said 'Spring 2023' on their website, but I mentioned to NRM shop about having it on preorder in an email they informed me Hornby now expected it to be with them in 'Summer 2023', and so the Ruston 88DS saga continues...

First World Problems I suppose, at the end of the day it's just a toy train and there are far worse things happening in the world than a delayed model. Can still enjoy a good moan though xD

Anyways, I'm looking forward to another year of making my layout videos and hopefully get some modelling done, My LMS 'Holyhead' went to bits today, the running gear/motion fell apart on one side and I got it back together but then the contact wires seperated from the tender draw bar so I had to solder those back on, and now at least it's running again.

As for Beaglington-On-Sea, I'd quite like to get a working lighthouse onto the layout this year as it's probably the last major feature that never made it in the original construction. I don't know how many more years I'll get out of the girls sharing a room so I'd really like to get that done, however the Bachmann Thomas one is like £65 plus post and double taxation due to Tootally not being Irish vat registered. At least it woud be ready to plant though, other than that I'm not sure, even if I could build a kit one or scratch build it I'm not sure how I would get the flashing or spinning light thing to work. Any ideas?

Thanks all, I'll try get some new pics up at some point of some action on the railway or if you have time you can find it by searching for Beaglington-On-Sea on the Youtube.

Stay safe,
Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Alex, Don't get old before your time !! Quote :-
"Can still enjoy a good moan though xD"

Hope 2023, ouch, yes 2023, is a good one for you.

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Alexander Court wrote:I'd quite like to get a working lighthouse onto the layout.
This may sound a little crazy but try Cornish / coastal gifts shops for a lighthouse model.
I've seen them in stone but also in wood of varying sizes, usually lit.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Alexander Court

End2end wrote:
Alexander Court wrote:I'd quite like to get a working lighthouse onto the layout.
This may sound a little crazy but try Cornish / coastal gifts shops for a lighthouse model.
I've seen them in stone but also in wood of varying sizes, usually lit.
Thanks
End2end
I Could, but as Cornwall is 244 miles away as the crow flies it's a bit far to go. I'd like something at least sort of accurate/realistic, I might have to make my own, I'll have to research some of the Irish ones, there's one here over the mountain and across the water on Valentia Island or there's one on the Skelligs or even Hook Head in Wexford.I don't really have the transport to check out many shops here. Anything that I could buy from the UK online is going to face the same VAT/customs problems anyways but I'll have a google and see whats available from those sorts of shops, might at least get some good inspiration.

Thanks very much for the suggestion,
Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
End2end

Post by End2end »

Alexander Court wrote:[Anything that I could buy from the UK online is going to face the same VAT/customs problems anyways
Oops. I didn't factor that in. :oops:

I did find these too but I think the same applies...
https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/in ... lighthouse

The price if the second one is rather shocking. :shock:

There's also this which is cheaper and also includes the lighting.
https://therailwayconductor.co.uk/model ... led-beacon
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Alexander Court

End2end wrote:
Alexander Court wrote:[Anything that I could buy from the UK online is going to face the same VAT/customs problems anyways
Oops. I didn't factor that in. :oops:

I did find these too but I think the same applies...

The price if the second one is rather shocking. :shock:

There's also this which is cheaper and also includes the lighting.
https://therailwayconductor.co.uk/model ... led-beacon
Thanks
End2end
Thanks for those,the Langley kits look good but the good sized one is very pricey. The Kibri kit is certainly one to keep an eye on, I'll have to check a few sites and see if any have it in stock or what the postage costs are.
I'll try get some proper updated pics on here tomorrow.
Thanks Again, Much Appreciated!
Alex.

Alexander Court

Dad-1 wrote:Alex, Don't get old before your time !! Quote :-
"Can still enjoy a good moan though xD"

Hope 2023, ouch, yes 2023, is a good one for you.

Geoff T.
Having seen the news the last few years, I'm starting to think I'm middle aged at 30!

I hope you have a fruitful 2023 also, both in modelling pursuits and life outside of that :)

Thanks,
Alex

Alexander Court

Hello again! I have returned, and this post is pretty much a month late. I did take the photos earlier in the month but work was busy so I was tired, then a friend and work colleague of mine moved away which made me a little blue, then I was also busy making videos as well. Oh well, tomorrow I am going back to learning to drive and friday I am having a haircut, busy busy.
But for now, here is how Beaglington-On-Sea is looking, or has been looking, since Xmas.

The S15 is on the outside line with a rake of Triang Pullmans, the middle line and platform 2 are occupied by the Blue Pullman though I didn't have a middle coach with it so I used a blue and grey Mk2. Ex-Thomas 0-4-0 in GER green (never really understood that, Hornby) 'Gerry' is on a parcels train trying to help relieve the stress in the backed up sorting office. There's snow on the ground, a few Christmas Trees are around too and the pub is doing brisk trade, what with its roaring fire casting a warm glow on the winter weary patrons.

The Peckett and the Ruston are both busy at the brewery, keeping the pub well stocked.

A small blue saddle tank simmers in the middle of shunting the fireworks for the new years display.

An aerial shot showing the station from above and the 'Yellow Submarine' and Gordon who are on the shed siding.

The current control system, my HM2000, old Hornby 'Red Knob' and the Hornby Select for my DCC locos.

The NCB Bedford driver has reversed too far and bumped one of the empties off of the rails in the coal siding.The Goods shed sits on the corner of the layout and frequently gets bumped, banged, and even toppled, by everyone in the house, even the lighting wiring is severed. It will need replacing but it's difficult to know what to do, maybe try a Metcalfe model, but whatever I choose there's not much point going for something resin or fragile because they'll also assumedly take a knocking.

The 'Yellow Submarine'

The snow has finally lifted and Centra has a sign out for takeaway pizza.

Business as usual at the Brewery.

A lone passenger waits on the island platform for her train to arrive.

A colourful scene as a Freightliner 66 passes LMS 4-6-0 'Holyhead', as a bright blue Andrew Baclay scurries around on the inside line.

A few close up shots of the 'Little Barford' passing by 'The Swan Inn'.

A final shot of the layout, from the clifftop above the road bridge.

Now, on my desk I have a bit of a casualty. The repainted 'Gordon' I bought second hand with no face (I drew one) finally died it just wouldn't go. I thought it was about time to check for hairs/dust etc in the motor area but no, so decided I'd clean the commutator and brushes. And Oh deary me, Oh deary me....The Brushes were seized in place, stuck in their sockets and when I finally extracted them I thought it a wonder he had ever worked, because there was the tiniest piece of one left and a fairly small crumb left of the other. So now Gordon will be in the works indefinitely until I can source some affordable new brushes (including shipping to Ireland of course).

So yea, that's just a little update on the layout.
Thanks for stopping by,
Alex.

Alexander Court

Hello Again!
Another post, another Engine in distress. This time it's my Lima BR Green Class 20. I set it up to run with my Blood and Custard clerestory coaches as they are lightweight and anything too taxing makes the plastic driveshaft ping out. Turned up the power, the driveshaft was already disengaged, I decided to removed the bodyshell which was a bit of a challenge. Previously I found I couldn't get the buffer shanks back in the holes that hold the body to the chassis and suspected some alignment issues with the body holes and he holes of the chassis. Anywasy, I removed the body, replaced the driveshaft, and popped it back on the track, turned up the power, only for the front half of the chassis, with the motor, to set off, leaving a rear section behind, like something out of a comedy film, or perhaps a tragedy...

So now I'm left with a conundrum, do I attempt to glue the chassis back together? Will Superglue work? There are a great many other cracks appearing on the chassis too. I can't really justify buying a new class 20 at the moment, but is it worth trying to fix this one?
CL1.jpg
CL2.jpg
CL2.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 447 times
CL3.jpg
CL4.jpg
Thanks, Alex

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Alex I think that chassis doesn't offer enough area for superglue to make a strong bond. I'd go for Araldite or another brand of two part adhesive and try to reinforce the joint with some sections of plasticard. You might be able to remove the battery boxes from the body and use them to strengthen the chassis. They'd be slightly out of place but not disastrously so. I don't think a class 20 would really qualify for fitting a pair of long range tanks to bridge the break.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

PM sent regarding the Class 20 chassis.
Ken
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's mazak rot ('zinc pest') doing the damage. Your mention of the drive shaft disengaging, the buffer shanks not going into the block easily and the cracks (some of which I can see in the photo) are all related: due to a contaminant, usually lead, accidentally incorporated in the zinc alloy, the crystalline stucture is altering and the result is the whole casting expands - somewhat variably - causing fractures.

There's no cure, and really the chassis casting is for landfill or sacrificial corrosion on a metal seagoing boat hull/component (definitely don't want it recycled into another zinc casting to cause more potential trouble).

I have no idea what the spares situation might be with Lima, 20 years after they were bought in a fire sale by Hornby. It's possible Hornby have continued with this design and the current block fits, the Limby enthusiasts will have to advise. But truly the Bachmann model is vastly superior, and if real money is being asked I'd suggest that this newer model is the better choice of where to spend it.