Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Clifton009

Re: Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post by Clifton009 »

SouthernBoy wrote:I think you must be Matchstick King. You've found plenty of uses for them on your layout, and always very effectively too :)

I like the hinged doors on the engine shed and neat work on the conveyor too.

There's a recognisable style to your work, the essence of which I've not managed to put my finger on, but one day I will :)
Thanks. Matches are an under rated building material! Their size makes them ideal for 009. I have used a fair few on the layout so far :roll: The last batch are not so good though :x , took ages to sort out ones good enough for the doors. Most were only good enough for stirring my tins of Humbrol!
Stewart Gethin wrote:Fabulous.

As Southernboy said, there is a definate style to your work, and it's not made from all sorts of different materials making the buildings look mixed and matched. I like it, alot. :D

Doors on the Loco shed look great, with all the cross bracing and all.
May I ask, what sort of glue did you use to glue the matchsticks onto the wire?

Keep up the good work.

Stew.
Thanks - I'm pleased with the doors. 4 more to make now for the other shed! I used 3 different glues on the doors! Quick drying wood glue to stick the matches together (Very good stuff!), Unibond Power glue (Allows a fair bit of adjustment before it dries) to glue the Plastruct bracing to the matches and Loctite super glue (Needed to be strong) to glue the wire to the matches.
Stewart Gethin

Post by Stewart Gethin »

Thanks for that. ;)

Stew.
whynot

Post by whynot »

It just gets better! The shed and offices are top stuff. I think I may be turning an unattractive shade of green...
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Thanks whynot.

I think I've got the hang of the Wills plastic sheets now. The more buildings I've made the neater the cutting & filing has got! I'm also happier with the doors & hinges on these sheds versus the first one I made on board 1. I think I may go back to that one and either replace or re hinge the doors. I tend to save a lot of sprues, off cuts etc which have come in useful for gutters, downpipes etc on the sheds - much cheaper as well :wink:
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

The doors for the small shed are now complete:

The remaining bare areas of board around the loco sheds are now covered in a base layer of scatter:
I used a mixture of grey, black and brown scatters.

Thought I would start painting a few detail bits next….
Telegraph poles for B2 & B4. I will run wires along these as per B1 using upholstery thread. I also have some street lamps for B2.
Sea Gulls I got about 18 months ago! They have had a coat of grey primer.
Some permanent way tools.
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

Looks really good, i love this layout, very realistic :)
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Upholstery thread?

What's that like in terms of gauge? Flexibility? Colour (s) etc ? ... Never heard of that before but am instantly intrigued :)

Everything looking good as always Jason. Do you think you could treat us to a little video one day?
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi Jason

I haven't been on for a while but this ltest development has certainly made the visit all worth while. The turntable section is simply lovely and oozes atmosphere. I have to second Mark's request for a video if at all possible. T['would be a treat 8)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Thanks for the comments.
SouthernBoy wrote:Upholstery thread?

What's that like in terms of gauge? Flexibility? Colour (s) etc ? ... Never heard of that before but am instantly intrigued :)

Everything looking good as always Jason. Do you think you could treat us to a little video one day?
I used it on board 1 as it's much thicker and stronger than normal cotton. It's available in different colours, I'm using grey. The only problem I found was that it didn't hang between the poles too well as it has no weight to it. I solved this by brushing along the wires with diluted PVA glue. Not sure about gauge, but probably a bit over scale, looks fine (IMO).

Here are some pictures from board 1 with the wires on:

I can't do a video at the moment as my digital camera can only do about 30 seconds of video in each clip. Just bought a Nikon digital slr today which can do about 10 minutes at a time in HD 8) - not supposed to be using this until next month though as it's meant to be for my birthday :( . So will be doing some when I master the new camera.
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Definitely looks the job for telegraph wires there.

ok, will look forward to some video after your birthday :)
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

Read this thread from start to finish and thought I would just say AMAZING !!! You have a great eye for detail and are very creative. I love the use of matchsticks. You should consider using your skills to make some kits for sale, your buildings are stunning. I look forward to the next series of posts.

Regards
Scott
All Aboooooard !!
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

:roll:
thebritfarmer wrote:Read this thread from start to finish and thought I would just say AMAZING !!! You have a great eye for detail and are very creative. I love the use of matchsticks. You should consider using your skills to make some kits for sale, your buildings are stunning. I look forward to the next series of posts.

Regards
Scott
Thanks Scott.

I enjoy making the buildings etc from scratch. I'm afraid I don't have the time to make extra ones to sell. I don't think that my patience would stretch to making more anyway :roll: Matchsticks are just the right size for making alsorts of bits for 009. I've used a good few hundred already!
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Board 2 now has some street lights:
I've used the Skaledale ones as per board 1.

A batch of telegraph poles are ready for board 2 & board 4:
These are cut down ratio ones.

First batch of Seagulls are now painted:
I'm pleased with these and will be ordering more from Langley!
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Been busy preparing some detail bits for Board 4:

Oil barrels painted in black, green & red.
Off cuts of rails rust painted.

Yard lamps ready - I’ve used the Ratio ones that I used on B1 & B2.
4 single ones for the depot area – like the one to the left in the photo below, but with green shades to match the rest of the depot area paintwork.
As these all come as double lamps I had 4 lamps that I cut off, which I have used above the 4 depot doorways.
I’ve also painted 4 double yard lamps for the slate mine on Board 2 – like the one to the right in the photo below, but with brick red shades to match the rest of the slate mine buildings paintwork.
Photo’s to follow once all the paint & glue has dried and they are in situ!!

I’ve also started painting some Langley Pigeons! They are more of a challenge than the Seagulls as they are a fair bit smaller!
My 6 semaphore signals are finally nearing completion – been on with these for a while. Just the signal arms to paint and the wires to attach.
FZ6

Post by FZ6 »

Great looking layout. It's really inspiring as I want to have a go at Narrow Gauge modelling as well.