m.levin's layout thread

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: m.levin's layout thread

Post by Dad-1 »

A Happy New Year to you Martin,

Soundy stuff moving - real progress.

Geoff T.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

After a few issues with Hattons I didn’t get the track I ordered when I planned for it.
But now I finally have the track and I have started to lay it, working on my over base board return loop and heading down towards the under baseboard return loop.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Its been a while since I updated on forums, but thought I would just update my layout thread, since a lot has happened since. I have been hoping that the track settles with the changes in temperature, before ballasting, but wishing for to much maybe? I have started on 1 section of track, it seems to look ok, I do plan to do it all in sections.
I have been working on the station announcements circuit, using an arduino and mini MP3 board, I have added a keypad so I can select which sound file i wish it to play, I will connect this to a stationary decoder output, to play a file which a train enters a detection block.
I have also, since my last update on here, purchased a 3D printer and printing everything off, for the layout and what ever I want. Prior to ballasting, I did print off a spacer tool, which I created, for the concrete sleeper spacing.
I have so much ongoing, from adding loco lighting, vehicle lighting (faller car system) and much more, its so easy to get carried away with the projects, but keep raining myself in every now and again.

I will have to work out how to add photos, I do have a YouTube channel, if you cant wait for photos.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

We are cooking now!!

Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Great stuff, Marty!
Regards
Rob
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Thanks Rob

been busy working away on the layout, so those photos are out of date lol
I was expecting a visit from Mumbles this month, but he had to cancel, better offer ;)
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Thanks Dave

I have my reasons for being away from the forum. maybe they have moved on, hopefully towards the light!

My layout has changed a lot since my last updates.
Its all computer controlled using RR&Co and all automated now.
its all systems go on the scenic's now, its very slow going as I am scratch building as much as possible on the layout.
I also have my Faller road car that I want to get back on this layout.
I'm trying to video log as much as possible now, as I enjoyed looking back at my older videos.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

I’ve had a go at static grass today, in the past I have used an old talc bottle, as a primitive applicator. It worked well but arms ached with squeegeeing the bottle over a small area. So I have had a go at building my own static applicator, to save my arm for moments of self abuse!! ;) I’m very please with the result, just need to finish it off And tidying up, the static applicator, before wasting time on something that didn’t work, just bin it and move on.

m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Dave wrote:I had a look around you YouTube channel earlier, things have certainly changed since the days of levington.
Massively! I gutted the whole loft and started again, fitted a window, plastered and rewired, that’s before the new layout.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Martin, Great to see you posting on here again.
Can't say I'm the most regular visitor nowadays, missing your first return posting
for a while.

What with Dave, Ironduke and now yourself a few real oldies still here. Me I'm a new
boy 2008, very recent.

Phew different standards of electronics ....... where are my clogs.

Geoff T.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Yeah been on this forum sometime now, 2006! And made many good friends from this forum, some I still keep in contact with today!

Iron duke send me a Christmas card every year, from Australia!!

I’ve never been away! Just not been contributing. I find the model railway community can be challenging at times, I might even start visiting shows again at some point.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

I had a frustrating day in the loft yesterday.
Started with one of my class 158 loosing drive on one of the boogies, a full strip down and sorted.
Then usual running season issues, then POP! The controller detected a short, started the fault finding process and found the fault was within the controller. :x

video showing the fault!!

Found one of the mosfets had blown.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Can you fix it?
Regards
Rob
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Ironduke wrote:Can you fix it?
I will have a go, I want to upgrade anyway, so got the push to start saving the pennies.
I can send it off for repair at about £40 or $76 aus dollars, but not really worth it, as it’s was sent off for repair 18mths ago, with the same fault. Yes I have asked and repairs only have 90 day guarantee.
So it’s knackered, can’t fix it, it will still be knackered, fix it I will have to find a use for it.
Send it off for repair and sell it, break even with repair cost, EBay charges and postage.