Beaglington-On-Sea 00 gauge in 6ft by 4ft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ironduke

Re: Beaglington-On-Sea 00 gauge in 6ft by 4ft

Post by Ironduke »

happy birthday Alex :)
You might wanna turn off the "Doris Day" filter there or do I need new glasses?
Regards
Rob
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

Time for an update!

So anyways, I got a couple of strange wagons on ebay for cheap, they aren't the greatest of runners but they do look very nice.

It was time to work on some new buildings for the town and I wanted to add my own twist. I started with the Superquick supermarket kit:

I used a receipt from Centra, our village supermarket (and my daughter's school friends' parents shop), and cut the name off the back and attached it to the supermarket sign from the kit, it just so happened to be the perfecr size:

I strengthened the little awning with some match sticks:

Before I assembled all the bits:

I fitted light inside that would shine down into the window display:

I also coloured the walls inside the porch area with yellow and green (the County Kerry colours):

View in from the side window:

How it looked finished:

LBSC days at the station:

Shop frontage:

I'll have to resize more pictures now, I've run out of things I've uploaded to flickr.

Thanks,
Alexander.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
heda

Post by heda »

I like that supermarket, the small changes can make a big difference
Dave
Mannick

Post by Mannick »

You've done a wonderful job. A (silly) question: All your photos are in the mist...or do I need new glasses ? :D
Alexander Court

Mannick wrote:You've done a wonderful job. A (silly) question: All your photos are in the mist...or do I need new glasses ? :D
It's not silly, it is true, but then again you do get mists near the Sea :P
It is in fact down to my phone being knackered, with a smashed screen and scratched up camera lenses, it cannot do much justice to the image it is trying to capture. I have tried to borrow the wifey's iphone since then and forwarded myself the pics but because we work different shifts (she does mornings and I did afternoon to nights) at our jobs there was often little crossover time and it has usually been used to eat together as opposed to being able to go do railway things.

Thanks,
Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Alexander Court

heda wrote:I like that supermarket, the small changes can make a big difference
Dave
Thanks, I built the antiques shop but left it as antiques due to my interest in antiques shows and history stuff, but did a proper window display, but that's another story....

Alex

Alexander Court

I'm now unemployed again.

FML

Alex

Chops

Post by Chops »

Rotten business, this virus thing. Well, here's hoping you get in some more train time.

I rather like the misty effect of the damaged lens; looks like sea fog.
Nessie rocks!
Alexander Court

Slight Rewind

Back To The....Brewery Siding?!

Noticed that I never posted anything about making up the brewery siding after knocking through the cliff.

First up, just a view of how the lighting is managed in the brewey building itself:

And this is how it was laid out (although in future the points made need updating as they are quite old):

I decided I'd do the brewery building side sidings as a mix of random ballast and the other end as sandy yard stuff (sand from our beach) a bit like the goods shed:

And the sandy end:

The Ruston 48DS tests out the siding:

Sidings filling up:

An old railway carriage being used as a store building:

And that's all for now.

Alexander.

kevin sharpe

Post by kevin sharpe »

What a lot you get in a small space well done like the layout
Alexander Court

kevin sharpe wrote:What a lot you get in a small space well done like the layout
Thanks, going to attempt another update today. I've been back at work and have been too busy with Christmas to go through pics to write posts and I've hardly had time to run anything! It doesn't help that my camera on my phone has got even worse.

Alex

Alexander Court

Update time, although it's more like catching up on the progress I made months ago. The situation is becoming more complicated, I've had less time due to being back at work and also preparing for Christmas, my fingertips have dissolved again which limits my ability to do any actually modelling, and the uncertainty caused by brexit means that international ordering is going to become too expensive or just unavailable. With that said, the wifey has bought me some things for Christmas from the good people of Widnes to help me finish more of my layout's scenery, before the wall comes down. Hopefully they arrive before tariffs/customs/etc are introduced.

So, back to the layout progress I was making...

I wanted the roads to have some substance and not just be painted wood, so I used polyfilla like I did on my N gauge 'Tonglington Abbey' layout to create what I thought was a fairly natural road layout.
Image1RG
Image2RG (Getting the filla up to the edges of the buildings was a bit of a challenge)

Then of course it was time to paint the road and the green areas that would become grassy areas.
Image3RG
Image4RG
Image5RG
The plan for the biggest green area was to have a few buildings opposite the station but most of it was to become an orchard for Trevor the Traction Engine.

After painting was dry it was time for the usual faff of laying the grasswork down. Using mixes of scatters I opted for a lighter more summer-ish grass for the centre area of the layout, darker greens for the clifftops to try and create a feel of distance (badly explained there I know, hopefully you get what I mean) and then there's the dark, well tended grass of the beer garden of the pub.
Image6RG
Image7RG
Image8RG
As can be seen, I managed to rescue some tufts of hanging basket liner from previous dioramas to add a bit more variety and unkempedness to the outer extremities of the layout. I really need to get more for the other end of the layout where the boats/seaside is.
Image9RG
Image10RG

I drew templates for the siting of my supermarket and antiques shop:
Image11RG

Reintroducing some beehives from previous layouts (and in a reminisce of 'Buzz,Buzz')
Image12RG

Those brave men, off on another sortie...
Image13RG

What the Spitfire pilots see as the come over the cliffs:
Image14RG

Defensive position:
Image15RG
Image16RG
Image17RG
(note my destination/direction notes behind the cliff!)

Helmingham Hall arrives with a train full of Holiday Makers:
Image18RG
Image19RG
(Man, I miss the sunshine!)

The brewery sidings:
Image20RG

Oh and the next day I walked into the room to find the cat had jumped up on the windowsil in the night and knocked over my jars of scatter.....he's such a **** sometimes!

Anyways, that's all for now.
Thanks for stopping by,
Alexander.

Chops

Post by Chops »

Enjoying the views. Miss sunshine? Come to El Paso. So much of the ruddy stuff I’m half blinded. The sea mists envelope Beagleton beautifully. Must book a passage there. Escape from the unending sun.
Nessie rocks!
Alexander Court

Got made unemployed by the government again today.

At least I might get my thread fully up to date now.

Merry Christmas, Everyone.

Alex

Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I like your little layout. Happy Christmas.