My New Attic Layout !

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

thanks for the feedback everyone! I feel inspired to go have a few hours at it now. hehe.

Gav, yes I totally agree. I have thought of losing the power clip... Its just that I havent soldered since school, and I'm not really confident at doing it... I will get a mate to do it at some point. :)
class56

Post by class56 »

what i would do is get a scrap piece of track and then try soldering on the piece of track then you will get better at it
DrStroganoff

Some new photos!

Post by DrStroganoff »

Well I've just come down from the loft. Got one of the Noch road kits, planning out where thats going and put a few new trees in. And running in my new Western!

heres a few piccies:

1 - View of the main board (minus fiddle yard)

2 - Western + DMU at the station

3 - Had a go at weathering - Yes? No?

4 - Planning where the pub is going

5 - My old Lima class 40. Best runner I've ever encountered.

6 - The 2 Westerns. Weathered Lima, and new Heljan. I used some parts left over from the Heljan to detail the Lima one a bit on the buffer beams.

I been weathering with powders... and I'm worried that I'm gonna end up destroying everything. I'm weathering everything in my path at the moment.... including the dining table. :oops:
DrStroganoff

Some new photos

Post by DrStroganoff »

1 - APT arriving at the station

2 - Hymek & APT

3 - APT on the bend

4 - HST in the sidings
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Hate to keep bumping my thread... :wink: but I've just been up to take a few photos. So here they are...

1 - The market bit

2 - The sidings

3 - Class 40 + Deltic

4 - Hymek + DMU

5 - And again

I went to the model shop this morning and they had a new range of scenic items by a company called Busch... Packs of daffodils and tulips and road markings etc... very interesting range, reasonably priced too. So I bought a few bits.... You have to build the daffodils, they are the most fiddly things !! And I've got 60 of them to do ! :) Think I'll get the missus to help...
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

hi
nice pics, tis all starting to come to life
i've used some of the busch scenics, they are well priced and as good as i could expect, have used foam scatter stuff and their static grass
michael
DrStroganoff

Some new pics

Post by DrStroganoff »

Bought some of the Hornby railroad rolling stock today, great value for money eh? The crane has a nicer finish than when Lima released it, it looks less toy-like.

1 - new building - superquick hotel

2 - View down the street...

3 - the crane

4 -

5 - The sunflowers... A real potch to make... and then I realised I hadnt painted the middle of the flowers brown like it said on the packet... So they are a bit green

I've come to the conclusion I have too many locos and stock to fit on the layout. They are overflowing out of the fiddle yard now. time to re-evaluate which ones are needed I think... I've got my eye on a triang Grey/blue pullman train next... so somethings gotta go to make way....
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

:idea: :idea: :idea:

The time has come for a gruelling re-appraisal of the whole layout... And I've decided its poorly designed. I rushed into it a bit having not had a layout for years and years, and didnt put a lot of thought into it.

Now after seeing all your awesome layouts, and building the new N gauge one with the missus, Im feeling ready to take on a mammoth project. And I want to run scale length HST's :roll:

So tonight I'm drawing up a track plan, and next weekend I'm gonna take a saw to the baseboards and come up with something else. Hopefuly utilizing more of the loft space.. Hopefully something about 10ft long ! We'll see.....

:idea:
davek

Post by davek »

Looking good Dr S.
What did you use for your ballast? Is it Gaugemaster underlay?
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

well spotted, yes its the gaugemaster stuff. i think the ground around it needs ballasting still, so it isnt so neat.. but it raises the track up nice, i quite like it !! :-)
davek

Post by davek »

After my recent troubles with ballasting and points I have been interested in alternatives, thanks for the confirmation and it does look good.
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

They dont seem to make pieces of ballasted underlay for points tho, you have to fashion them yourself... which isnt too hard. Expect to pay £10 a roll tho. I used about 1 1/2 rolls on my double oval + sidings, just to give an idea.
davek

Post by davek »

Cheers! I'll keep it in mind.
Bryan Gundry

Post by Bryan Gundry »

I assume that if you are going to run scale length HST's you are you planning on going over to N gauge for the new layout as well?

In which case if in the next 6 months you decide that some of your buildings and accessories are surplus to requirements let me know.

Bryan
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Nah I'm not switching to N gauge, I'm hoping to have about a 12' run down each side of the loft, like 3 oval main lines... So hopefully I'll be able to run a nice long HST without it chasing its tail... However there is going to be much less board-space for the buildings that I do have, so I'll let you know if anything is surplus to requirements !!!

I've started ripping it all up this morning.... a bit of a shame, but Im sure its going to be a much better layout when I'm done.

I'm cursing my less-than-professional carpentry skills that I used when building the baseboards, they are a pain to take apart !!!

Oh well, back to it I guess.... :D