N-Gauge data and information

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
phibs14

Speed freaks!

Post by phibs14 »

Thought I'd throw this in here as the 'speed' topic has come up + it saves starting a new post.

Found this very handy website for speed calculations in many different model scales so feel free to move or copy this post if need be.

http://www.nhsouth.com/crafts/workbench/ssc.htm

Easy, select ur scale and enter the speed you wish to simulate in the real model and then press 'calculate'! :D
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Pete wrote:I think, UK N is half OO scale not 160th as continental N.
Not quite. Half British OO gauge which is 4mm scale would be 2mm scale and that scale ratio is 1:152 not the 1:148 of British N gauge.

The reason it's different is because our real locos are smaller than continental and American locos and when the scale/gauge (1:160/9mm) was invented the smallest motors would not fit in a same scale British loco so it had to be made slightly larger at 1:148 plus there is an issue with the outside cylinders.

The family of N gauge/scales all running on 9mm gauge track are

* American and Continental 1:160 (1.9mm to 1ft)
* Japanese (and professional architecture) 1:150 (2.03mm to 1ft)
* British 1:148 (2.06mm to 1ft)

2mm fine scale (OOO) is 1:152 (2mm to 1ft) running on 9.4mm track.

G.
callteg4

Finescale n guage flexitrack

Post by callteg4 »

Hi I am very new to N guage and i am about to order some flexitrack from hattons but I have been confussed again lol
could someone please tell me the difference of the 2 lots of flexitrack please I am using code 80 but now i dont know what finescale mean i have attached a link of the 2 different flexitrack
http://www.hattons.co.uk/store/releases ... =2#SL300/S
http://www.hattons.co.uk/store/releases ... 2#SL300F/S
please help thanks
blooregard

Post by blooregard »

Hi there

If your using code 80 track you dont want finescale, thats for use with code 55 track which has a more realistic rail height of 55 thou rather than 80 thou. The rail is actually the same but is buried slightly in the sleeper.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.
callteg4

Post by callteg4 »

blooregard wrote:Hi there

If your using code 80 track you dont want finescale, thats for use with code 55 track which has a more realistic rail height of 55 thou rather than 80 thou. The rail is actually the same but is buried slightly in the sleeper.
Thanks alot for the quick reply thats sorted that out thanks again
blooregard

Post by blooregard »

No problem!.
geoffshumba

Re: N-Gauge data and information

Post by geoffshumba »

Hi Folks - I am in the process of designing my first N gauge layout, and thought this might be useful to some folk. Courtesy of C J Freezer, Model Railway Design Manual.

Clearances Inch mm
Platform Edge 0.354 /9 From track centre
Bridge parapet clear 0.394 /10 From track centre
Bridge parapet height 0.315 /8 From top of rail
Bridge inner side 0.591 /15 From track centre
Overbridge clear 1.181 /30 From top of rail
Top of platform 0.236 /6 From top of rail
Canopy Underside 0.787 /20 From top of platform
Fixed obstruction 0.472 /12 From platform edge
Bottom of sign 0.472 /12 From top of platform
"True" track centres 0.984 /25
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

does anyone have any information on N gauge track standards e.g flangeway clearances. I'm going to be building some dual gauge track and need to find a workable compromise between 00 and N standards. Cheers

Pete
blooregard

Post by blooregard »

Hey dude, I'm failry certain the information your after is in the N gauge society handbook. I dont have it to hand but I'll have a look when I get home unless someone else can reply earlier.
blooregard

Post by blooregard »

Right dude :

Track gauge : 9mm (obviously!)
inside face of rail to outside face of opposite check rail : 7.9mm
distane between outer face of check rails : 6.8mm
Flangeway clearance should then be 1.1 mm

Hope this helps
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

1.1mm is precisely what I've been going by for flangeways, excellent. :D I'm drawing out templates for the points using solid edge, so I can print off engineering drawings of the points and work from those. So that should mean that stock for both 00 and 00-9 will run fine over my trackwork? Assuming I build it properly of course. Where can I find suitable clearance gauges for 00 and N to help with building?

Cheers

Pete
trainsanddartfrogs

Post by trainsanddartfrogs »

ahh! ironduke has a pic of thomas the train for his user picture! and another horrid thought....the U.S. (where i live) has smaller trains than the other! i like bigger train for the track but i guess ill have to do over seas shipping to get what i want :roll: *sigh*
engineer

Post by engineer »

Hi Guys, Very much a newbie to railway modelling. Wish to thank all for the very useful information on this thread, apart from the odd error.

To help me in my venture, I'm still in the umm ahhh planning stage, could anyone let me know the buffer to buffer length of some Graham Farish STEAM engines. Also the buffer to buffer lengths of some rolling stock, both goods and passenger please.

Oh! And could you tell me the distance between parallel sets of railway lines in 'N' gauge please.

Allan
Nathan20138

Post by Nathan20138 »

Hi guys, similar question really. Im about to embark on my 1st N gauge layout and would like to know the overall length of a farish cl 57 and cl 08 please. it would help me in knowing how much track to purchase so i can pre-determine the size of the sidings / runaround. i'm on a budget and want to keep the postage down if possible.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Nathan.
"Let all men who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour tomorrow."

Brightside Lane TMD
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=33379
engineer

Post by engineer »

I don't think anyone is watching this thread.

Gone elsewhere.