New to DCC. Cannot get Controller to recognise any locos.

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
SquiddlyDiddly

Re: New to DCC. Cannot get Controller to recognise any locos.

Post by SquiddlyDiddly »

To Richard08. Thank you for understanding that I am not a complete novice. As I have tried a number locos with different decoders etc my situation is simple. "DOES THE CONTROLLER RECOGNISE ANYTHING ON THIS SETUP" If gives commands but doesn't get a response. The wires from the controller are soldered directly to the rails. That same connection works when using DC control. So I just want to know that I have to purchase a new controller/system as I cannot take the original back.
centenary

Post by centenary »

SquiddlyDiddly wrote:To Richard08. Thank you for understanding that I am not a complete novice. As I have tried a number locos with different decoders etc my situation is simple. "DOES THE CONTROLLER RECOGNISE ANYTHING ON THIS SETUP" If gives commands but doesn't get a response. The wires from the controller are soldered directly to the rails. That same connection works when using DC control. So I just want to know that I have to purchase a new controller/system as I cannot take the original back.
Sorry, why cant you take the original back? The only wires that should be soldered to the rails should simply plug into the back of the Powercab faceplate. These should be your wires and not proprietry so not an obstacle to a return.

As the video shows though, have you use the flat cable to connect the Powercab to the faceplate?

Have a look at this Powercab set up. https://youtu.be/hIKbiRYCC5Q
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I've just had a horrible thought. How are your wires connected to the rails? Soldered directly to them is the best. The worst is to use an old Hornby power connecting clip, if you know this ok but just in case you don't, the block into which the wires connect contains a TV suppressor. It's pretty useless for TV interference but it will stop your DCC signal dead or at least distort it to the point that it doesn't work.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

Here are a few things that might help:-

[list=
[*]First try setting a loco to short address '3'. All decoders should respond by setting themselves to short address mode when setting a short address so you will know what the address is. When the loco is programming you should see it jiggle along the program track a few milimeteres while it is responding to the programming even if you do not get a response on the programmer.

[*]Second make sure that you are trying to drive the loco on short address '3' this is different to long address '0003'. The NCE allows you to drive both addresses so you need to ensure that you pick the correct address when driving. Long addresses are from '0000' to '9999' wheras short addresses are from '1' to '127' and separate from the range '0001' to '0127']

[/list]
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Again in granny->eggs mode, but I've just seen a video that talks about the 'wall plate' thing that the handset plugs into. It seems to be a common (and fully understandable) mistake to assume the LED should be at top, whereas it should be at the bottom with the handset plugged into the left hand socket. The right hand socket is for 'other devices'. When powered up the handset should read "LOC: 003 12:00AM" on first use. End of granny->eggs mode.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Here is my two pence worth, I am by no means an expert but I am a PowerCab user.

NOTE: For the purpose of clarity I am taking the viewpoint that the reader knows nothing!

In my experience you can think that everything is connected correctly and the Powercab acts as if things are normal but nothing happens.

The connection on the back for your track feed are fiddly and can give the impression that the wires are connected when actually they are not. The best way to check is with a multimeter, is there continuity between the small screws that hold the wire and the other end of the wire and ultimately the track.
tempImagezwTGNP.gif
As stated in other posts... Is the red light on the bottom? is the flat 6 wire cable in the left socket? (IF the unit is second hand is this in fact the right cable, there are many that look like it but are not quite right, it is easy to end up with the wrong cable)

I set my top right display to AMPS, this can further prove that power is getting to the track. Trying to find this in the manual is a nightmare:
tempImageQuvvhu.gif
Press the Prog/Esc button six times. This should take you to Set Cab Perams. Press Enter and you will get Trk Current. Press 1 to select and you should get 0.0 amps in the top right.
tempImageZzvaMV.gif
tempImagehwC9g5.gif
tempImageMHJ14p.gif
Split post for Photo requirement:
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Part 2:

The track with nothing on should read as 0.0 amps as stated in part one. Place a loco on the track and you should get a read out, as per the 0.13 shown.
tempImagenH49gV.gif
Try programming the loco. Step 1 is to enter the Prog Track by using 4 presses of the Prog/Esc button shown in Part 1. Press enter. Press 1 for Standard. You will then get the Wait screen, followed hopefully be recognition of the chip maker... simply follow the rest of the instructions.

If all in Part 1 and 2 fail, on multiple locos I would suggest that your cab is faulty.

Good luck.
tempImagezzeoIE.gif
tempImageRK6acB.gif
tempImageBnNWD6.gif
tempImagersHKvw.gif
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

As a bit of a follow on from my above post.
SquiddlyDiddly wrote: I followed the relatively simple instructions for connecting wiring to the track and then setting up the NCE controller to operate the system.And then I followed the also simple instructions to test a DCC fitted locomotive on the track...........and that is where my problem started. Nothing happened, the locomotive did not move.

In brief I tested a number of locomotives.

I put the DC loco on the track by mistake and connected the Powercab to the power, and...........the controller "buzzed". So that told me that the Powercab was at least getting a connection to the track.
If it isn’t actually connected the Powercab still displays as if it is, although your final quote suggests that it is connected correctly.

What do you mean by test? I often find that if a loco fails to respond it sometimes needs a quick reminder of its address. Follow the program as per my previous posts. Point to note you have the option of short address of two numbers and long of four numbers. If the short is 34 and the long is 1234 a loco expecting to be called 34 will not respond to 1234 and vice versa.

A loco being programmed will not necessarily move during the process.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dave-00 wrote:... I am a PowerCab user...
At last, :-) because I feel this is what's required, someone with NCE user knowledge.

I tried to help on a different forum, but without any knowledge of NCE gear it had to be 'general principles' rather than the specific 'war dance' to check whether it is functioning as it should. (I suspect that the unit is in some way faulty, and suggested return to the retailer, who should either demonstrate that full functionality is available, or refund or provide a replacement unit, as the customer requires.)
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Richard08 wrote:
End2end wrote:I'll reiterate as I don't see it addressed in your reply. :wink:

The controller needs to be set to the same number as the decoder in a loco for it to respond.
WHICHEVER track the loco is on.
I don't believe that is the case, certainly not with Lenz etc anyway. The whole point of the programming track idea is to allow full access to the decoder irrespective of it's current address, so that, for example, you can find out what address the engine is set to. This appears not to be the case with NCE Power Cab, god alone knows how you are supposed to cope with a s/h model with unknown address you just bought or a mate who's brought an engine round for a play that happens to have a duplicate address. Probably getting off topic now...
Not really part of the OP however for interested parties.

Program on main and Program track as far as NCE are concerned are a bit confusing. The Powercab doesn’t care where and what it’s connected to. Irrespective of whether it’s connected to a standalone piece of track 300mm long or a 200m long circuit if you select program track everything its connected to becomes that program track on reduced power. Likewise if you select Program on main it will change CV’s on anything that’s on that track.

Using the ‘simple’ procedure outlined a few posts ago, you can find any loco address by starting the ‘standard’ program procedure… after showing the manufacturer of the chip, it will tell you the version and then the address already allocated, you can then exit without making any changes.
SquiddlyDiddly

Post by SquiddlyDiddly »

As far as I am concerned nothing suggested so far has made any difference.

As I only have a one metre of track - attached to NOTHING - I have called it a Program Track but equally it could be a Main Track; The Quick Start instructions in the Powercab manual just say that you can test whether things will work by using a small length of track and following their instructions, I have done that and there are no responses from any loco I have tried. I have tried to read a decoder but there is no response. I have done a factory reset and the display on the controller seems to do as it is supposed to. So for the controller is working but something is not allowing communication to a decoder. This would be a problem with the track, the track connections or the panel. I am assuming that at least one decoder is seated properly, is the right way round and is set to 3 (I know one is). If I remove every DCC from the track - including locomotive - and connect my DC contrller to the same track and using a DC locomotive the locomotive picks up poser from the track and runs. So I followed the NCE suggestions on testing the panel and the track feed. BTW before this I did a factory reset of the controller. As far as I am concerned the test of the track feed , the panel and the panel light being solid throughout indicated that all these components were working. So now I have to see if the voltage is being received at the track. I am not too familiar with multimeters but I will give this go next.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

I just tried this to make sure it works... use an LED (with resistor), it should light up if there's power. Or a lit coach?
centenary

Post by centenary »

Id respectfully suggest the OP needs to include a couple of pictures of his powercab display compared to those already posted.

Id also respectfully suggest he takes the body off a couple of the DCC fited locos, provides a picture or two of the DCC chip in situ then takes them out and check they are fitted pin 1 to pin 1. The OP says he isnt a novice but respectfully, he is as he says he's new to DCC.

There's something majorly wrong going on here that at the same time, might be simple. It's like paraphrasing Sherlock Holmes who said, if you eliminate the impossible, all that's left must be true.

The only options are the Powercab isnt working, the DCC chips are faulty or the power supply wiring set up is faulty.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Richard08 wrote:I just tried this to make sure it works... use an LED (with resistor), it should light up if there's power. ?
Yes that will work. I use mine all the time. :D
Just make sure the 2 wires touching the track are the correct way round or the LED won't light.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

SquiddlyDiddly wrote:As far as I am concerned nothing suggested so far has made any difference.

I have done that and there are no responses from any loco I tried.
Did you test for amps on the track as per my suggestion? If you have amps then it negates a multimeter or resistor test
Lofty wrote:
The track with nothing on should read as 0.0 amps as stated in part one. Place a loco on the track and you should get a read out, as per the 0.13 shown.
You have stated that you cannot take it back. Another option is to find a friendly NCE user that can test all your components one at a time by substitution.