DCC Short

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Flashbang

Re: DCC Short

Post by Flashbang »

Leebo wrote:Hi Flashbang,

Sorry, I’m really confused.
So I’m testing as follows;

Multimeter probe 1 to the Red wire from the decoder.
Multimeter probe 2 to the motor bogie wheels (pic 1).
Testing with her beep function and should it beep or not?

Then...

Multimeter probe 1 to brown wire on front bogie.
Multimeter probe 2 to the front bogie wheels (pic 2).
Again testing with the beep function.

Thanks again.

Leebo
Hi

No! You do not test the decoders wires. You're testing the existing and original locos wiring.
Next my apology ... I assumed and I can't think why! That the original wire to the front motor wheels was red. Its actually Black! Sorry for any confusion.

All wires removed from motor brush strips. Test on Bleep Left strip to all wheels of motor bogie. No Bleep should be received. If there is then you need to resolve the connection before proceeding.
The original Black wire removed from the motor goes to the motor bogie wheels on one side of the motor bogie. Testing will reveal which side this Black wire makes connection to. I'm assuming its to the right hand sides wheels. If so, then now test on Bleep the Brown wire to both wheels on the rear bogie but they both MUST be on the diagonally opposite side to the Black wire on front wheels test.
i.e. Test 1. All wires removed from both Brush strips.. Meter lead on left brush strip other lead to all motor bogie wheels and any metal of the motors chassis. No Bleep is correct.
Test 2. Existing Black wire previously removed from motor. One meter lead on end of Black wire (all other wires removed from this Black wire) to all motor bogie wheels. On one wheel side a Bleep will be received on each wheel set. The other side should not produce a Bleep. I'm assuming the Bleep will be heard when the right hand wheels are touched with the one probe, while the other probe in on the original Black wire. (Right hand side is when looking down on the loco).

Now move to the rear bogie. Connect one meter lead to the now free end of the Brown wire. The other meter lead to the wheels on the Left hand side of the rear bogie A Bleep should be heard when both left hand wheels are connected by the probe. If correct all is good. If only one wheel set provides a Bleep check the failed wheel set to the opposite wheel side to ensure that wheel set hasn't been fitted the wrong way around. You are testing to ensure all wheels on the one side are connected to the Brown wire and all and wheels on the opposite side are isolated or electrically dead.

Only once this has all been proved are the decoder wire connected. Red and Black decoder wires to the original Black and Brown wires. Orange and Grey decoder wires to the motor brush strips. Which way around the decoder Red and Black wires connect doesn't really matter too much. But I would connect Black to Black and decoder Red to Brown. But the opposite way around (Red to Black and Black to Brown) is also fine

Also do cut off those spade connectors and make all joints by in-line soldered connections and ideally use Heat shrink tubing slide on before twisting the wires and soldering then once cooled slide the tube down over the joint and shrink it down over the joint. If HS tubing is not available use small strips of PVC insulating tape.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Leebo

Re: DCC Short

Post by Leebo »

Hi guys,

New decoder installed and its running a treat.
It’s still the basic Hornby one but I’m waiting on a Lens one that someone suggested.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your help.

Leebo