New controller

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Spike

Re: New controller

Post by Spike »

RAF96 wrote:
Spike wrote:Well after a lot of digging and searching .... It turns out that the Hornby one (Select controller) is not NMRA compatible ...
Incorrect.
The Select is NMRA compatible but not NMRA warranted. One reason for this is it doesn’t have a separate programming output, as it programs on the main. The other reason is ringing off the DCC signal when off load. Easily fixed by putting a few locos on track, no need to run them, just give the controller a track load. Not every manufacturer lays out the cost of having their kit NMRA warranted, instead they state that is it designed to be compatible.

It has been shown that some decoders (especially some USA units which are not NMRA warranted) if programmed on one controller may not react to another controller, not just the Hornby Select. The answer is to reset the decoder from the controller in use and reprogram to a chosen address within any limitations of the controller, such as 1-59 for Select locos.
Hi
Thanks for that. and it makes sense to me I think, totally new to all this but I have just set everything up again to try the new controller I have bought,the Bachmann E-Z Command with the new loco and I still have problems.

The new loco as soon as I put it on the track it started to make sounds, one step up from the Hornby select controller I thought, but still no movement and the light does not work.

I tried different number for the code thinking it might be on a different number instead of the programmed 3 by the factory. and again nothing, BUT the sound is still there no matter what, I thought the sound would only work once the loco started to move and be silent when stationary?
Like I said I have no other knowledge with model trains apart from the box set I bought from Hornby.

I put the Hornby loco from the set I bought onto the track and pressed 3 which is where it is coded to on the select controller and it worked perfectly so the controller does work.

Is there anything else I can try to get this loco to work??

Thanks
Spike

Post by Spike »

Ok problem solved

As I did not know which code the loco was programmed too and nothing seemed to be working someone sent me some instructions from an older version of the controller about how to programme a loco without knowing the address of the loco and it has worked. my instructions do not have this part in it
I now have the loco running and doing everything it should.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Select v1.5 manual page 9
Same as previous book entries from memory.
I.e. long press Select, input address required, press select again.

PNG image 29.png
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Spike

Post by Spike »

RAF96 wrote:Select v1.5 manual page 9
Same as previous book entries from memory.
I.e. long press Select, input address required, press select again.

PNG image 29.png
After getting the loco to work with the Bachmann controller I did try it again with the Hornby selct controller and did exactly what you have posted about, but to no avail.
The Hornby controller just does not like my new loco :lol: so I will stick with the Bachmann one. Like I said earlier my theme for the layout will be 1870 ish wild west America and Hornby have very very little in the way of trains for that period but Bachmann have absolutely loads.

I am just really pleased that the new controller worked and would like to thank everyone for their input on the problems I had.

P.S I now have a Hornby Select controller for sale as I no longer need it or can use it :lol: