Very simple question,

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Bufferstop

Re: Very simple question,

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Buelligan, I bet you didn't think your simple question could generate so many different replies :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Certainly got more replies than I thought, and more varied too! I’ve got some glue today, and am about to order some more. Already got a couple of cutting mats that I use for Christmas craft stuff, and a set of craft knives and scalpels, as well as a steel rule (plus an aluminium yard stick, but I doubt I’ll need anything quite that big.)

I may post up some photos, depends how it turns out!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I have a brass "metrestick" it came off a well worn dressmaking table thrown out from the college where I worked, hence being metric. It comes in when you want to cut an A1 sized sheet of card, so hang on to your yardstick.
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Bufferstop wrote:I have a brass "metrestick" it came off a well worn dressmaking table thrown out from the college where I worked, hence being metric. It comes in when you want to cut an A1 sized sheet of card, so hang on to your yardstick.
Yes I should say metre stick too, I bought it from Wickes earlier this year for something, no idea what it was now though, its never been used and is just something else for me to trip over in the garage. I was disappointed it was aluminium and not like the old steel rules, doesn't feel so strong. Despite being 30 and so never growing up with feet and inches, a childhood listening to my dad measuring in the imperial has worn off and I now talk imperial, describe things in adverts in imperial, but if I'm measuring something to cut, or see if it'll fit in the room, I automatically go into metric...

Anyway, rest of the materials are now on order from various places, so will sit back and wait and try them out.
b308

Post by b308 »

I've used both the cheap UHU and Anita's "Tacky Glue" which is PVA glue but "tacky" so it holds stuff as well whilst drying.
argent

Post by argent »

I had run out of my bottle of rocket glue and found some gorilla wood glue in the workshop. filling the empty rocket glue bottle with it to try, I am never going back to paying the over inflated price again for rocket glue. Gorilla wood glue is just as quick to dry on card, has the same adhesion when used in spots or very fine lines and dries clear. apart from CA glue and glue stick, It is the go to glue for me. I can get loads of refills for the price of one rocket glue.
BrightonMan

Post by BrightonMan »

argent wrote:Gorilla wood glue is just as quick to dry on card, has the same adhesion when used in spots or very fine lines and dries clear. apart from CA glue and glue stick, It is the go to glue for me. I can get loads of refills for the price of one rocket glue.
A top tip, argent, thank you. I've got some Gorilla glue knocking about somewhere, I'll dig it out and give it a try.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Buelligan wrote:... about to tackle my first card kit, a metcalfe bridge. My question is, what is the best glue to use? And any other tips on construction for a complete beginner.
There are many alternatives which will work just fine, but IME the best by far for multiple reasons is Weldbond. Hands down. Available at any hardware store. Best applied with a fine tip glue applicator like this. Clean up with water before cure. It's not a PVA, so superb in humid climates.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Metcalfe do a pack of 3 finetip glue bottles, the tip is OK but the hole in the neck is so narrow it's nye on impossible to pour the glue in. I got two from the lady in Morecambe who did the original ones for needle workers and the like. But she retired and no one took them on.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Talking about glues. I have in the past glued with paint. It was the best way to apply scatter and flock to my previous layout. Paint could also be used with card but it would need to be held firm. Probably best buy glue though! :D