Oxford Rail offer the J27 NER/LNER/BR 0-6-0

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: Oxford Rail offer the J27 NER/LNER/BR 0-6-0

Post by Bigmet »

No real conflict. The LNER was very early into 16 tonners, and had just over 7,000 on handover to BR, and the LMS had a similar number. These differed from BR's standard design in some details but were recognisably 'of the type'.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Further conflict reduction, the BR early crest version is likely to be with retailers this weekend. That will do for me, another pre-group 0-6-0 design well into the second half of its time in service. If no-one else gets theirs' first, I'll probably have an appraisal of it by the end of August. (I already know that the cabside windows are a little narrower than they should be, but hey, I can modify if that galls me.)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It's out on the test circuit doing the mechanism running test I always apply to new purchases to check for 'infant mortality'. Not that I expect trouble, it started running freely and quietly, forward and reverse, when first given power on each loco wheelset, and that's a sign that all is probably well with the mechanism. Loco alone weighs 195g, probably enough for the traction required for the kind of secondary duties 0-6-0's were on in the 1950's. I will assess what it can drag around once testing is complete

As for appearance, overall very good, matches the few leading dimensions I have available, (don't have a drawing) and captures the look of the subject compared to photographs, all the detail is firmly attached. There are well executed aspects worthy of note, on the loco the fine coupling rods, internal valve gear detail, freely hinged fall plate, pretty comprehensive cab equipment; on the tender a completely clear bunker deck, just a little moulded 'coal' in the slide, so you can add as little or much coal as desired. There are some mouldings of fire irons included to add to the tender if wished.

Minor critiques.
I will make the axle ends and tyre sides filthy when the model is weathered, likewise tone down the 'very blond' cab interior.
Underneath the tender the brake gear pull rods are represented. These hang down to just above rail level, and may foul on uncoupling ramps which might cause trouble on some layouts.
Not had the model all in pieces (yet!) to assess construction, there is a hint of a visible join as the boiler turns under, probably where the mechanism slots into the body, and I'll see if that can be eliminated.

If you have ever been caught complaining that there aren't enough RTR models of NER design locos, an 0-6-0 is an essential item. It's not the pretty little J21 that so many would have preferred, (this world isn't perfect!) but a good 0-6-0 model is a good and useful model for any layout...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Having had its first two hours divided between forward and reverse at medium speed, it has quieted such that the loudest sound up to a scale 50mph is the wheels on the rails; there's some gear whine above that speed, but nothing excessive, and it would be a rare day they went over 40mph. It will now crawl forward and reverse at 1.5mph on resistance controller DC, and from full tilt it will coast smoothly over two feet if power is 'snapped off'. Now, ho for decoder fitting, once duties assigned to me by the slim controller are completed, which may take some time...
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I'm sorely tempted.
I see the Sound fitted early BR livery not in yet - Mmmmm I promised myself
that I didn't need any more locomotives. Regardless of what OR say I wonder
if it'll be happy on 1st radius curves as on St Oval, my permanent test track.
Their GWR Dean Goods had no problems .......

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I should think it will manage first radius, not seen any reports of trouble on set track points, and those are tighter than second radius.

Had a quick traction test, good to pull a sixty wagon freight on level track, which is ample, and it could do more as it got away with no slipping, and could move them at dead slow.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Set track point are at least 2nd radius 438mm
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Bigmet,

Impressive traction - never get the sectional layout up, so on the garage test oval
I'm limited to around 30. Even that has the brake van just approaching my hole in
the sky while the locos come out the other end !!

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It's all been in pieces this evening.

The tender top is held on by two screws, drawn in the diagram, and then hinges up at the rear. However this does not release the body as it won't hinge up far enough to release, before the tender rear begins to bend the lamp iron detail! Never mind, there's enough room to successfully insert the 21 pin decoder.

The loco body removal requires four screws to be removed, or five if you want to perform the operation without the tender attached, (as I did). The diagram mentions loco body removal but doesn't tell you how. Easiest method in my opinion: extract the electrical plug from the tender, remove both pivot screws of the drawbar, and then the two screws at the rear of the loco that were partly obscured by the drawbar pivot screw, and at the front of the loco lift out the NEM coupler pocket and remove the screw concealed beneath. Now you can wrestle the mechanism out of the body, (it was a tight fit on my example, took a little flash off the side off the casting to make it an easy fit) and estimate that the reduction is 44:1.

All reassembled now, with the drawbar at the closer setting. Testing tomorrow, as I think the fall plate will significantly limit the minimum radius by fouling on the tender front with the drawbar set like this. Perhaps a little trimming of the trailing edge of the fall plate will be called for.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

As suspected, with the drawbar set to the optional scale spacing, it's 'tight' on a 30" radius curve with the fall plate down. (Lift the fall plate and it sails around, haven't tested the minimum radius it can work on like this as I have no track available to try it.) Once test running is completed, I will file a little off the corners of the fall plate so that it can be lying flat at all times - my layout has a 30" minimum radius in goods only running lines and yards, where it will largely lurk when operating.

Operation with the Zimo MX638 decoder is very refined, (it's a 'dangerous engine' as movement at speed step 1 is almost imperceptible, can creep along all unnoticed if you don't make sure it is definitely stopped) now trundling around at a scale 20mph with a long train, just been turned round for an hour in reverse. Very pleased with the performance. And it has tender pick ups on the leading and centre wheels, only noticed that today.

It could have small details added such as mechanical lubricators on the footplates, but I won't bother; filth, rust, coal, and maybe a tarp draped over the cab roof, will personalise it sufficiently.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

O.K. I think you've convinced me !!
I'll be placing an order for a Sound version. Can't be bothered to have a Zimo based sound system
added and don't want to do it myself. Under £200 as RTR will suit me.
As to 1st radius I'll take the chance.

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Couple of things to be aware of on this model that I forgot to include earlier.

The slotted head screw securing the loco to tender drawbar at the tender end is a bizarre item, very fine thread into a very slim plastic post. Some owners have found that it is easy to break this, and it is probably best left untouched other than at direst need. It was exceedingly fiddly to get it back in, and if it ever fails I will remove the slim post and cement in a plastic block as a replacement, and drill a pilot hole into which a regular more chunky self-tapper will be inserted. (The location is all concealed by the tender frames.)

The front NEM coupler pocket appeared to be mounted above or very near to maximum spec. height, and is not very positively engaged; didn't measure anything on the original arrangement, just got on with modification: pocket has been cut down and now has a Bachmann pattern coupler (which I have as standard on goods stock) positioned so the bumper bar is in the same plane as the buffer faces, and a little cyano retains the pocket in the mount at the correct height.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bigmet wrote:As suspected, with the drawbar set to the optional scale spacing, it's 'tight' on a 30" radius curve with the fall plate down. (Lift the fall plate and it sails around, haven't tested the minimum radius it can work on like this as I have no track available to try it.) Once test running is completed, I will file a little off the corners of the fall plate so that it can be lying flat at all times - my layout has a 30" minimum radius in goods only running lines and yards, where it will largely lurk when operating...
All it actually needed was a small smoothly curved cut out in the rear edge of the fall plate to clear the tender brake column. (The prototype had this cut out.) Made sure that the newly cut out edge cannot contact the stanchion as a thin metal edge will chew its way through the plastic in time. I didn't need to make concave cut outs to the rear edge and sides of the fall plate for 30" minimum radius, but that would be an option for smaller radii if necessary. (The prototype had such cut outs, but the model fall plate is a little short of full scale width.)

It's right up there in the 'very useful engine' category on the layout and will be used in rotation with the other 3F and smaller LNER group 0-6-0 types that are on the layout, all of which are too good to be left in storage, even if they varied between rare and never seen in the KX inner suburban area.

I am going to write myself a similar permit for 'other' small 0-6-0s as well: while the MR 3F and SR C are legitimate on cross London goods moves, the CR 812 isn't, neither will be any examples of L&Y or LNWR or yet more exotic LMS group 0-6-0 classes, that will hopefully appear in time. I just likes small 0-6-0s, and will have an excuse to see them operate.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

That sounds like a true LMS small locomotives plan !!
Mine is on order - Sound fitted.
In the mean time I have a few 13 ton hoppers to make, 1 made, 1 to be started and plans for
another few when they become available again.
This has given me the push to drag out of the loft 20 x 21 ton hoppers. Not seen light of day
for a few years. Can't justify having that many 13 tonners though, although my TOPS record
tells me I paid £7.20 each for them - Must have been mad to spend £144 on one type of wagon.

Handy points of limitations Bigmet, thanks for the tips.

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote:That sounds like a true LMS small locomotives plan ...
Surely some manufacturer will venture an MR Ramsbottom type outside framed 0-6-0? Too pretty for words. Plenty more such subjects just crying out for models, and not just from what became the LMS group. NER J21, GW 'Beyer goods' , Stephenson long boiler, anyone?

I have enough to do making the essential models for my chosen location, so my hopes for all the other lovely items has to be RTR...