Accurascale to announce UK OO loco at Warley

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Accurascale to announce UK OO loco at Warley

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I would be prepared to put money on someone finding an error with the Accurascale model, the rivet counters will be all over them once the model is released and some trivial detail will be wrong.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
b308

Post by b308 »

GWR_fan wrote:For years we were happy with the Hornby-Dublo model,
Were we??!

From what I remember of that era many people were getting hold of the Kitmaster Deltic prototype and converting it using Triang EE Type 3 bogies! The HD Deltic was an awful model, especially when compared with some of the others they made.

Would agree with the thoughts behind the post, though!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The simple fact is that if a new manufacturer wants a 'flagship' BR diesel in their range, they are all of them 'already taken', so a duplicate of an existing model it has to be. These are popular subjects with apparently plenty of folk in the hobby prepared to buy them. I should think Oxford Rail must have been considering their options from their start, and have now seen 'better yet' models of classes 24, 25, 52, 55, 66 either produced or announced. (FWIW I would see classes 20, 30/31, 50, as the next 'likely targets' since these are now arguably the weakest representations of what are popular long service life and multiple livery subjects.)

Personally, I am going to wait on the new Deltic until just what is on offer is clear. I don't want underscale wheels, and to be blunt promising a very accurate model that will negotiate second radius simply isn't possible without a signficant compromise somewhere. Bachmann got it solidly correct for my taste: they raised the model's body over the bogies so that the scale diameter wheels do not machine their way through the body sides at the ends. The mechanism design is very easily adjusted so that the body sits at correct height above the bogies and then it is a much superior looking model. But so adjusted it can only be operated around 30" radius curves.
Mike Parkes wrote:
GWR_fan wrote:We had the old Hornby class 47, then the Lima, then the Bachmann and then the Heljan model. Apparently all were flawed so is it time for a new manufacturer to produce a new class 47?
...Bachmann - evolved from their 57; think the issue is something relatively minor like the wrong fuel gauge on a tank and too many rivets around the cab windows...
There was also a moulded on pipe on the bogie frames that was only applicable to the 57 conversions. But it really is nit picking stuff when the model overall looks so convincing, and doesn't appear to have hurt its sales at all. But if the market holds up (like it has for pacifics first in service 1922 - 1951) then my projection would be that some manufacturer will doubtless take a swing at it at some point in the next 40 years. For now though there are easier targets, not yet taken up!
Mike Parkes wrote:...Have to agree the 14xx and J94 are a bit of a disaster largely due to the DJM weird geared chassis and ridiculous extent of noise generated.
Back to the future with this product. Looks good externally but with a mechanism pattern that has many of the weaknesses of Mainline split chassis, with some extra problems from using N gauge applicable drive technique stirred in. Only for collectors, not for operators like myself who like the 'screw together construction, iron core motor and steel axle wheelsets with wiper pick up' formula proven since the 1950s to be maintainable long term.
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Did I get the only quiet runner then?

I had no idea the mechanism was anything other than conventional before I bought it last week, I did read on here about running issues but thought I’d take a chance at the Hattons bargain price, to my relief as I mentioned before on test running with DC it runs really smoothly and slowly and is quiet.

Doesn’t mean I am not worried of impending doom in the future though. :?
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Boksonay

Post by Boksonay »

Hi chaps,

Many thanks for the feedback! As modellers ourselves we're always keen to ensure we're doing everything possible to ensure fidelity and practicality!

Any questions about the plans, just let me know, and we a have several more projects to announce in the coming months, in addition to the Deltic, PCV Cemflo, PCA Wagons and HUO Hoppers already announced, as well as a our Rawie buffer stops and parts!
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I must confess that I'm struggling to see the need for models with even higher levels of detail, fragility and cost, but then we're a broad church and we all have our own leanings. Personally, I'd rather see new models of previously unavailable, or very poorly modelled, prototypes. Some useful accessories might also be nice, like semaphore signals that are a little more realistic than Hornby's toy-like ones, but sufficiently robust to be used without fear of snapping them off, e.g. with metal posts like the old Triang ones. Of course there is one benefit with these new super fine scale models, the people who buy them are then flooding the second-hand market with perfectly acceptable cheap models for the rest of us to buy :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Boksonay

Post by Boksonay »

Hi Gerald,

High levels of detail are indeed expected by modellers and collectors now, and when the cost is equivalent or indeed less than similar, less detailed models, why not :) As for fragility, our models are designed to be anything but, with etched steel and plastic parts designed and tested for robustness as well as fidelity. It's generally agreed that the current options for the 55 don't accurately capture the model, and as we are making 22 versions in this run, we're tooling never before seen variations and numbers, complete with all their accurate differences.

While established in the Irish market, we're still growing our brand here, and while we've announced three wagon projects (plus collaborations with NRM, DPS, RevolutioN, Realtrack models and more) we've a long list of new announcements coming in the next year, including wagons, coaches, locomotives, multiple units and accessories (like our buffers and buffer stops).

If we can deliver highly detailed, very accurate models that run well and reliably, and delivery them quickly to market, at prices the same or less than the equivalent, is that not a good thing for all modellers!
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Sounds promising and nice to hear a manufacturer with such enthusiasm.
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
allan

Post by allan »

In 00 scale, the real turn-off, for me, is the tension lock coupler. The "other" Europeans dealt with this issue 25 years ago, with NEM coupler mechanisms, a solution that is quite appropriate to 00 scale, but one that has not yet been fully embraced. Being able to run 00 scale locos and rolling stock buffer-to- buffer, out of the box, has remained an elusive dream, but that's how the prototype ran. OK, so three link chains are unmanageable, but there are a good number of NEM compatible couplers readily available - Kadees #17 to 20 being just one example.
Boksonay

Post by Boksonay »

allan wrote:In 00 scale, the real turn-off, for me, is the tension lock coupler. The "other" Europeans dealt with this issue 25 years ago, with NEM coupler mechanisms, a solution that is quite appropriate to 00 scale, but one that has not yet been fully embraced. Being able to run 00 scale locos and rolling stock buffer-to- buffer, out of the box, has remained an elusive dream, but that's how the prototype ran. OK, so three link chains are unmanageable, but there are a good number of NEM compatible couplers readily available - Kadees #17 to 20 being just one example.
Absolutely! The Deltic will include a fully detailed bufferbeam, as well as NEM sockets for your choice of coupler! (and metal sprung buffers of course)
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

b308 wrote:
Were we??!

From what I remember of that era many people were getting hold of the Kitmaster Deltic prototype and converting it using Triang EE Type 3 bogies! The HD Deltic was an awful model, especially when compared with some of the others they made.

I always thought that Dublo couldn't make their mind up whether it was going to be a 37 or a 55 lol. Saying that the cobo was pretty diabolical too.
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

D605Eagle wrote:
b308 wrote:
Were we??!

I always thought that Dublo couldn't make their mind up whether it was going to be a 37 or a 55 lol. Saying that the cobo was pretty diabolical too.
The three rail version of either knocks spots of anything else in haulage power; they had traction tyres on all driven wheels. Mine would happily pull an eight foot long rake of tinplate tankers (heavy!) around second radius curves. NO modern loco can match that haulage power. One of the marketing pictures showed three of them pulling a child along. Primitive models yes, poor motor bogie layout yes but many are still clocking many hours of use when younger models have long worn out.

Boksonay, I suggest that you look to steam rather than diesel for inspiration. There are many models in Hornby's range that are awful interpretations of the prototype such as their Black 5 which is riddled with errors. Same with their 8F, 2P and I could go on because there are many others that would make a nice model that Hornby haven't bothered to tool properly in this century.

There are dozens of gaping holes in the non passenger rolling stock department too. If you must duplicate pick something that needs it not one that's been done to death for the sake of making it fractionly "better" than someone else's.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Boksonay

Post by Boksonay »

Thanks Jim!

We're certain that when you see 'our' Class 55, there will not be anything 'fractional' about it.

We're always delighted to get suggestions too, so if you would love some of those gaps filled, just let us know!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I won't be buying one but only because I do not need one. I do find some of the picky approach being taken at this very early stage a little difficult to follow though. If it's to be 'OO', the only certainty is that the wheel base will be too narrow, like all 'OO'. It can still be a fine model and if the dimensional / profile issues present in the Bachmann offering are dealt with, all the better for that. It will sell.

I did buy the Bachmann prototype Deltic however, but only because it was irresistible! I didn't even know about the profile issues until someone raised it. Was I bothered?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Boksonay wrote:Thanks Jim!

We're certain that when you see 'our' Class 55, there will not be anything 'fractional' about it.

We're always delighted to get suggestions too, so if you would love some of those gaps filled, just let us know!
Actually the only diesel I like was the class 28 because they were pretty useless!

OK, suggestions for you.

LNWR 4 & 6 wheel brake vans plus closed vans and open wagons. Full brakes as well, one lasted into the sixties in departmental service and is now at Quainton. Coaches as well!

LMS would be ditto because they aren't done either. Bachman's ex midland type van is the only recently tooled LMS vehicle their box van being ex mainline tooling from 35+ years ago with a modified chassis. Early period LMS coaches as well, we just have Bachmann's ex Mainline ex Replica extremely dated and wrong versions.' A STOVE van that actually stays on the track would also be nice.

Midland stock would also be good choices seeing as pre group is gaining a little more popularity now.

GWR siphons G, F plus pre war full brakes and a range of earlier 20th century freight stock.

PROPER 4 wheel coaches based on actual prototypes 6 wheelers too.

Others will probably add to this but these are only some of the gaping holes in RTR stock some of which aren't going to be retooled, ever.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?