Hattons new Website Oh Dear.....

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Byegad

Re: Hattons new Website Oh Dear.....

Post by Byegad »

I can see Track Shack and many other sellers will see an increase in sales too. Hattons are huge in the model railway world but appear, having taken careful aim, to have cunningly shot themselves in both feet!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

GWR_fan wrote:...When testing a site the individual who "tests" the site should not be either the web developer or an IT savvy person. A site needs to be tested by some one with little to no IT experience as these people actually see the "faults" the designer missed.
Quite so. It needs to be tested by a sample of customers, for whom it is 'just another utility'.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I think thats what they have everyone doing, for free :lol:

Its important to send them any feedback you have, if enough people have the same issue it will encourage them to change it before it fully goes live and the old one is no more
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

A site needs to be tested by some one with little to no IT experience
In many cases that is the web designer.
I'm sure that's not the case here, but their previous site was designed entirely in house and there were several places where although a perfectly practical method it did not follow usual conventions, like having "my account" halfway down the left hand navigation pane.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

It might be linked to thier new website, but Hattons look to be more active on eBay as well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/ehattons

I have a few alerts set up, one of which is for P class locos and its gone nuts recently with new listings - turns out they are all from Hattons :roll:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Flashy new website to go with their very grand exhibition stand. All very refined and minimalist, definitely trying to out do you know who, " our big H is bigger than yours :P "
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Chops

Post by Chops »

Well these days I do most of my British purchases at Mountain Goat's. It's pretty simple as he usually has just one item in stock at any given time. His motto is, "If I don't have it, you don't need it." High marks for courtesy and speed, although shipping is usually done by a tramp freighter and it makes stops all over the globe before getting to El Paso. Gives me something to look forward to!!
Nessie rocks!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Haha Chops. My problem is that when I was modelling in 00 gauge I bought too much. :lol: I had a mad few years when I used to work on the railway. I had a garden railway in mind. Never did get to run trains in the garden. One day maybe.
Actually, looking back I did run a train on about 10 ft of track outdoors and did a few other tests, and one of those tests had me run a Hornby 0-4-0 converted with a larger cab and chimney into 7mm narrow gauge. Then I converted it back to 00. Many years later it went through another conversion back into 7mm narrow gauge and became this:-
Attachments
IMG_20180609_190046.jpg
Chops

Post by Chops »

That is a delightful piece. I wonder what the draft would be like on the prototype?
Nessie rocks!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Not sure. Her chimney was made from an ink cartridge from a fountain pen. :)
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

alex3410 wrote:It might be linked to thier new website, but Hattons look to be more active on eBay as well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/ehattons

I have a few alerts set up, one of which is for P class locos and its gone nuts recently with new listings - turns out they are all from Hattons :roll:
Looking at their seller feedback it is quite some time since model railway items were sold (listed) on their eBay site.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It would appear that Hattons are having another go at website 'redesign', to degrade what is easily the best and most useful model railway retail site, and reduce it to a similarly useless muddle as that proposed two years ago. It's so bad this time, that the feedback form doesn't work. I suppose that's a sure fire way for the s/w developer to be able to report no customer problems received as feedback.

Right: paper, pen, envelope, stamp. Gonna write me a letter to Richard Davies.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Bigmet,

Don't mock the good old written word, but aren't postage stamps expensive !!
This from a guy who is trying to arrange a postal AGM with voting forms. I've
just spent £39 on stamps !!

Geoff T.
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

Yes visited Hattonsonline the other day after a couple of N gauge locos. I'm sure Rails will be grateful for my order.
Totally useless search/layout and (un)ease of use. Hattons have not only shot their N gauge business in the foot with their spat with Bachmann but they've then removed the entire other leg with their site downgrades.
vespa

Post by vespa »

My account was no longer there when I went to check any preorders. It was finally fixed but if anyone has a preorder for anything check you still have an account or you may not have the order for what you want. It now takes nearly a minute to load secondhand items.