New guy new layout helps plz

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Mountain

Re: New guy new layout helps plz

Post by Mountain »

Depending on the sort of noise it is making, they usually go quieter after running in. New locos gears need to bed in.
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

I'll get a video for ya 2moz lol see if you can hear it.. Like I say it's my only one so may well be normal :P
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

atnas666 wrote:Ok so i have thought of a layout idea.
[
Loosely Designed on the non existent Ramsgate port station
Any thoughts?
The station I know, but only through one of C J Freezer's later track plan drawings.

The track plan is very workable for both loco-hauled (including tender steam locos) and multiple unit trains.
Having a single track oval does make for quite a lot more room.
The train length has had to come down from my "top priority: train length" sketch, but that was inevitable. It had it's own sacrificed features.

My main concern is for the points and hidden sidings along the rear edge, particularly if the baseboard is shown in its intended final position.
Access to them is likely to be problematic there.
The CJF plan envisaged the operator being behind the cliff, as in an exhibition layout.
With a private layout the operating and viewing sides are nearly always wanted as one and the same.

I have an idea... I will have to try it in Anyrail.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

I never used a plan I use pictures of the real thing. Noffin is final :P and never is lol
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

@Mountain here is a very quick video https://youtu.be/MTK5TYKa-Oo
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It sounds OK to me. A healthy sounding newly purchased motor. Nothing to worry about. It will go quieter with age and time. They usually need running in for about half an hour. (15 minutes in each direction at a reasonable pace usually does ths trick). Check to see if there are any running in instructions. High milage locos run the quietest. Yes, some run lovely and quiet from new but not all.
You may find that locos run quieter if an underlay is under the track. Surprisingly, the quietest material I have run models on (00 gauge) is concrete ready for an outdoor line. I ran a Lima diesel and it went so quiet it was only the movement which indicated it was working.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

atnas666 wrote:I never used a plan I use pictures of the real thing. Noffin is final :P and never is lol

I'm not sure how you managed to get so much sea-shore room by your station. Do you know what the tightest curves were, that you put in?

Here, by going to two levels I've managed to give all the points easier access.
This is with 10" and 11" curves and the small Peco electrofrog points. The turntable is 6" diameter.
Nsimple1.jpg
The top oval has three storage lines on the return loop, and the station can have at least two sidings as the line passes under the higher level bridge or viaduct. The gradient is not severe, but could be eased further by dropping slightly the track where it meets the green oval.

There would be quite a bit more room if the station had the high level, as then the end tracks could run underneath it. and the storage lines, longer, could have very easy hidden access at the front.
This, however, removes any connection at all from Ramsgate and its cliffs!

Chris.
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Mountain. Thanks like I said did not think there was an issues just louder the 00 stuff I was used to. Thanks. As for concrete I guess it works in house with sound.

Emettman r2 so just over 10 :( was the smallest I used. I like that design u made there.
Also what's the height of the 2nd level?
I appreciate the help
Last edited by atnas666 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Really want some coast in it does not need to be ramsgate for sure
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

atnas666 wrote:
Emettman r2 so just over 10 :( was the smallest I used. I like that design u made there.
Also what's the height of the 2nd level?
I appreciate the help
Rail level rise is what determines the gradient, and if the purple section rises 1.5 inches, 1:50 or a little easier is possible.
By bringing gentle gradients into the green oval track that can be made gentler still and at the same time the vertical separation on the only *visible* could be increased to improve cosmetic effect.

If you like the Ramsgate turntable position (N turntables are not cheap!) (Are steam tender locos a definite want? ) let's keep working with that.

Inverting the track plan might allow for a bit of Dawlish for the running line rather than the station being at the shore.

Chris
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Haha Just finished flipping it
Was already on that
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Ah, by flipping, I meant vertically!

One whole edge of oval now gets the Dawlish treatment, complete with secret junction: I really wouldn't put those storage tracks hidden on the back edge unless there's free access that side (but that's only advice.)

Here the station should be on a single liftable board, but the lower points are not under the station.
Nsimple2.jpg
Chris
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

so the orange is the top section and the green hidden?
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

atnas666 wrote:so the orange is the top section and the green hidden?
Yes. The purple gradient will emerge into the open at some point along its length.
The two sidings stay in the open.

At least one of the "tunnel dash through a headland" places shown is purely scenic.

Chris.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

I may have cracked it, at least to my way of thinking.
At the least all the elements we have been playing with have come together in sensible and comfortable order.
Nothing is squeezed: the storage loops are longer, the minimum radius is 11" and there's more sea/beach.
Only one gradient. About a 3" drop with no problem, allowing an inch to make the storage loop cover reasonably rigid.

The idea? Put the return loop at low level, with the storage tracks at the front, under the sea!
Nsimple3.jpg
The sea will probably been in two sections, (with the join covered by a short pier?)
The yellow oval gives shore-line scenery with a headland lower-right.
The hidden section for yellow upper left is principally so that a train can be held there while a train passes directly between the station and the storage loops.

The cliff can now be as high as you like.
With a seated operating position it could be high and completely open behind.

Chris.