00 Points choice..?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Mountain

Re: 00 Points choice..?

Post by Mountain »

Regarding points. (Switches, turnouts etc are the same but names that come from different countries. Actually in the early years of Britain, we used to call them turnouts and railroads (I have an 1840's-1850's original map of Britain's "Railroads" (Not railways)) but in Britain at some point in time turnouts became points and railroads became railways. However, when the early pioneers went across to the USA, they kept the old terms they had once used in Britain).

To simplify the main common types used.
Left hand, right hand and Y points. These are standard points which can be in different lengths. The design is in the name. They have one enterence (Confusingly called the "Toe" end of the point) and two exit routes.
Then you have curved points in left or right hand form and can be made in different radii and lengths. They are similar to above but curved.
Then you have a three way point with one entrance splitting into three exits. I've never known a four way point but who knows! There's probably an example somewhere in the world!
Now we come to diamond crossings. This is simply where one railway line crosses another at the same level. They can be at various angles from 90° to very gentle angles.
Now things get exciting. Think of an ordinary diamond crossing and then think of adding the ability to diverge off at the other route instead of going straight across. This is known as a single slip.
Now think of the same as above but one can diverge off to the other routes in both directions. This is known as a double slip.
There are catch and trap points which are simple points designed to de-rail trains or wagons etc., to prevent them colliding with other passing trains. These are last resort points which trains would only normally be de-railed if the train has passed a signal at danger.
brober

Post by brober »

Thanks both for a very clear and informative pair of replies. All is now clear. One resultant question though - Will code 75 likely cause issue with normal flanged wheels derailng? The reason I am looking at fitting code 75 electrofrog crossovers is that there doesn't appear to be a code 100 option, only insulfrog.

Bruce R
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

They used to be available. I remember they used to cost 10p extra. Could be that Peco have dropped them since they've introduced their new code 75 range.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I made this point (scuse pun) on another thread but it is worth repeating it here, avoid mixing set-track and streamline points in the same formation, all set-track points and crossings are at a turnout angle of 22.5 degrees, streamline points and large crossings are at a turnout angle of 12 degrees so if you mix them you will get into trouble

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I've mixed them often and use the point that fits best. I've even slightly bent longer points to get them to meet my required location. You are right about the angles of the points, but for me I used it to my advantage, but most of what I tend to use is flexible track apart from sharp curves and the points for my 00 gauge items.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Mountain wrote:I've mixed them often and use the point that fits best. I've even slightly bent longer points to get them to meet my required location.
Not a good idea and certainly not good advice for a beginner, believe me I am speaking from painful experience, albeit many years ago, it dos not work well, you end up with kinks in the track and almost guaranteed derailments. By all means use set track in fiddle yards and streamline in the scenic areas, but definitely not in the same formation
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I will say though that when I made my last layout I had quite a choice of both ranges of points to use readily available. I think the layout ended up with 46 points, a double slip, 3 way point, three diamond crossings etc... I didnt have a large layout though so it would have been better if I had, as I'd have preferred more siding space.
brober

Post by brober »

Last question - what is the actual height difference between code 75 and code 100 rails?
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Code 75 is 75 thousandths of an inch, or 1.9mm. Code 100 is 100 thousandths of an inch, or 2.5mm. So there's around 0.6mm between them.

As for joining them together, one solution for plain track is to file the 0.6mm off the bottom of the code 100 rail end, so it is the same height as code 75. Solder a code 75 rail joiner to it, and it can then be joined to the code 75 rail. You will need to build up the height of the code 75 track to match the code 100. Virtually undetectable in scenic areas unless you're looking for it.