8x2 00 new layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
GreenBR

Re: 8x2 00 new layout

Post by GreenBR »

Hello,
You might want to look at Carog it is on the llangollen steam railway. You could probably adapt it to your needs.
Worth a look on google.
regards
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

swiftbeam wrote:It kills me to see these beautiful stations destroyed. My dream is to live in a GWR station and to see them wrecked and trashed is awful :(

Thanks for all the help, I will dig through these links :D
My brother does! Hallatrow Station in Somerset. He renovated it from derelict many years ago.
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

OK,

I've spent all afternoon searching for an idea and track plan. The best I can come up with is this.
IMG_4358.JPG
I'm looking for a passing loop station (using Highley as I have it and it's pretty!) and some small sidings behind for shunting and storage and a signal box. I'll be placing it in modern preserved times so the sidings will be storage and display to the public. I'm OK with the landscape, but I have no idea of what would be a prototypically correct track plan.
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4357.JPG
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

If anybody has been sharp enough to notice, I'm using the new Peco code75 bull head rail and bull head long points.

They are lurrrrrrrrrrvley, so much better than the old code 75 :D :D :D :D :D
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

Bullhead3-500x500.jpg
Bullhead3-500x500.jpg (124.09 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_4361.JPG
IMG_4362.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG
When you see them close up, they look fantastic. The chairs are awesome. Looking down the length of the point makes it all worth it, I'd never buy the old points after these :D
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

That looks perfectly reasonable.
Perhaps a headshunt for the three sidings running either in front of or behind the signal box.

It would mean a half-shunted goods train would not need occupancy of the main line.
(not an issue if there's a passenger train every 2 hours, but on model lines...)

It would be nicely awkward to put a cattle dock at the end of the headshunt.
Many stations did not have the most logical or convenient of track arrangements due to space, history or no apparent reason at all.

Have a look at pictures Buckfastleigh station as in preservation: a definite similarity, though that has some extra sidings not shown on most photos.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

OK Guys,

I've almost hurt myself trying to think up this track plan and general overall scene to go with it.

It will be modern preserved.
To the left will be a high steep hill side running to the back with a tunnel mouth in it.
This hill will fall into a deepish large stream/small river to which the railway will cross over on bridge right before the tunnel mouth.
Running along the side if the river valley will be the entrance to the station carpark.
To the right will be a double road bridge running front to back on a shallow hill top.
This left hill top will run along the right side and 3/4 of the rear falling as it goes.
The rear hill will be cut short along the edge of the road coming into the carpark.
Because the layout will be basically at the end of a valley and passing loop will be tight against a retaining wall.
There are two long sidings at the rear of the carpark and an unloading siding cutting into the platform.
The very front of the layout is a steep grassy slope falling into the valley bottom (eventually).
There is a head shunt running in front of the signal box.

If you can see this in your mind, is the track plan working?
I could put another siding as in the last pic, but this maybe taking too much space for little reason. It would also cut the two long sidings down to only two coaches long form 3 coaches.

Any comments about the feasibility of this small layout plan?
IMG_4375.JPG
IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4378.JPG
Alternative 3rd siding, not sure on this??
IMG_4377.JPG
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Options for consideration.
The headshunt seems to be too short to work properly, and the dock siding is very short.

What would help help would be moving the station buildings to the left (nearer the entrance road making that fine.)

This does allow for the possibility of putting a goods shed half on the platform. Perfectly prototypical and a space-saver.
The end /side dock would project a wagon's length or so beyond the goods shed.

The other thing that would help is probably too late, as you show you have bought points: shorter points in the sidings.
The Peco code 75 Y point SL-E197 is only 5.81 inches long but it has a 28" radius in either arm.

Chris
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

Hi,

The points were bought to plan the much bigger layout based on Toddington. So I've not wasted any money, but I hate short points and I like the look of this new Bullhead rail. Would a goods shed still be on a platform of a preserved line in 2017? How long would the head shunt be?

Is Highley too big in any format on an eight foot base board?
Is eight foot simply too short for anything like a station of the type I'm trying to make?

I don't want to squeeze anything in !
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

swiftbeam wrote:Hi,

but I hate short pints and I like the look of this new Bullhead rail.
These are short , but NOT small radius. Yes, space saved vs preferred appearance is your call.
Submerged almost up to the rail head in goods yard muck what the rail is?
(especially in preserved line yards if my experience is typical.)
Would a goods shed still be on a platform of a preserved line in 2017? How long would the head shunt be?
They might have brought it in!
Actually it's easier to find pictures where the good shed is still there but the railway has gone!

This style I didn't know: goods shed as part of the station building.
Now if that was two wagon lengths away from the station building there would be the side and end dock.

Have a look here:
Bishop's Lydeard.
Though apparently the gap between the goods shed and the station building now has a modern addition to hold the local model railway club!
Williton too, lokks like

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.u ... ehead.html

Headshunt? Usually long enough to let a loco shunt the whole of the length of the relevant sidings.
If the main like was needed there was little point in having it, though sometimes it was just a short stub, more just instead of a catch point

Chris