Dapol Black Label Locos

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
mjb1961

Re: Dapol Black Label Locos

Post by mjb1961 »

Bigmet wrote:Sounds good. Now it is out of the box I have a specific question about this model if you would care to supply an answer. How is the loco to tender coupling achieved, and does it allow the really close spacing of the prototype?
Hi Bigmet ,,,,,,,,the loco to tender coupling is one that I've not seen before,but,where as HORNBY etc have the post on the tender which inserts into the ?? ( don't know what it's called ) on the loco the Dapol version is the opposite way round and is square,,and made of plastic ,,also it does not offer any adjustment for closer coupling but it does look closer than some I've seen ,,anyway hope this helps ,,,,mjb
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Thanks. A drawbar is the word you are looking for.

At present Bachmann have the best system on offer in my opinion, they put the loco drawbar in the correct position through the dragboxes on loco and tender, and this engages a small post on a screw locked adjustable slide on the tender. Easy to set the loco to tender spacing for the closest setting the layout curves permit, as close as true scale which looks really well.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Yes I love bachmann's system. What's annoying about hornby's twin hole drawbar is one hole is a huge gap, the other is so tight it would only negotiate a realistic curve. I've made a new one for just one for my P2 just as an experiment and its cured the problem, but then the problem shouldn't be there....
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Well, at least when it is a simple drawbar, a replacement is easy enough to make I suppose. Done this on quite a number. Sometimes - the B17 and B1 - you can put the new drawbar in the right place too, through the dragbox slots like Bachmann do, a consistently good feature of their designs.

Bachmann have been 'all over the place' with some drawbar hole locations however, on the 9F way too long and very long (drill an extra scale spacing hole in the drawbar) and the BR std 4MT 2-6-0, a good longer hole position for set track, but the close position too tight to couple on at all! (Cut off tender peg, use a self tapper in the tender underside.)

That's why I wanted to know what Dapol had done in loco to tender coupling on the A4, just in case they ever announce a tender loco of interest to me! (Come on guys, any of B16, J6, J17 or K2 would float my boat.) Of course having re-entered making OO locos, and starting with an A4, and then there's a B4 to follow, I expect the next will be the C4, 'Jersey Lily'.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:, I expect the next will be the C4, 'Jersey Lily'.
Ooooooooh Matron! I wish! :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Not quite as crazy as it sounds. We are all out of fresh principal express loco subjects from the end of steam period now; at least all the glamorous ones that had a real following. The search for the winning subjects among earlier generations of superseded principal express locos is now well underway, I make it past ten already either on sale or announced: GW City and Star, MR 1000, GCR D11, GER-ish B12 and D16, GNR A1, C1 and Stirling single, LBSCR H2, LSWR T9.

I will eat my hat if we don't see one of the SECR family of 4-4-0s, the sublime Wainwright D in the national collection an obvious candidate, a successful loco in a line of very successful 4-4-0 development. That rounds out Edwardian express power for the Southern group.

Which brings us to the Southern half of the LNER group, and what should be missing but something from the GCR's bigguns. One of Robinson's uniformly lacklustre 4-6-0 types, or his 'Jersey Lily'? I know what I would pick.

The LNWR, little hope, murdered by the Derby drones. Suppose we might get a George 4-4-0 or a Jumbo 2-4-0 if we are really lucky.

So once those two or three for the Southern half of the UK are picked off what next? This is part of my hope for wonderful things from up North. Elegant 4-4-0 and 4-4-2 types; from the NER in glowing green, and the NBR in a funky Brown Ochre, the very lovely blue Cardean and Dunalastairs from the CR: would they sell? Would they.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I wouldn't say Robinson 4-6-0s as uniformly lacklustre. Some were definitely better than others. The small and large fish engines (B9s and B4s) were good locos, and the B6s were excellent, and B7s were powerful engines even if they were a bit on the hungry side! His large 4-6-0 express locos were sadly a bit on the lame side in comparison.
I would suspect that both Hornby and Bachmann will be looking at Thompson pacifics. Be interesting to see how well they sell considering that after all this time bad feelings still rage hotly about his rebuilds.
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

I'm still loving this Dapol black label mallard ,,run her everyday since she arrived ,,I've adjusted the smoke generator heat to the highest setting to get more smoke and it really does look the part ,really is a nice loco ,,,,mjb
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

any chance of a quick video of it running with shmoke?
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

I'll try ,,,,
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote:I wouldn't say Robinson 4-6-0s as uniformly lacklustre. Some were definitely better than others ... His large 4-6-0 express locos were sadly a bit on the lame side in comparison...
It was specifically the express classes I was thinking of for models, the Jersey Lily atlantic definitely superior in looks to any of the big wheel 4-6-0s; and their performance at least adequate running the express loads the GCR route offered, with none of the poor reputation attaching to the 4-6-0s in evidence. And they were different from the 4-6-0s in one significant technical detail, they had a much deeper firebox and ashpan, with the consequent increase in firebox heating surface and possibility of better maintained draughting. Most likely why they were well regarded as it should have made them more free-steaming conpared to the 4-6-0s: and without doubt crews liked a loco which steamed freely.
D605Eagle wrote:... I would suspect that both Hornby and Bachmann will be looking at Thompson pacifics...
Bachmann long ago denied any interest (but could change their mind!), but that still leaves several other potential sources in the frame. I'd guess it's the A2/3 if any are to be tried commercially, both the most numerous and probably on balance also the best of the Thompson pacifics. When I ask myself if a model would prise the money from my wallet the answer is 'just once' and at that only if there was no competition for the money. I'd take any of classes A5, B16, C4, C7, C11, C12, D34, E4, J's 4, 6, 17, 19, 20, 39, 67, 68, 69, K2, N1, N5, N7, P1, P2, U1, V2, W1 ahead of it...
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Please don't say an A5, I've very nearly finished building this!
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Well not far away from a year since the last post on this thread,,anyway ,since getting the mallard I've gone on to get the golden eagle and the silver fox ,got the silver fox today ,that was one of the reasons for selling off the two live steams I had ,,at least these black labels are getting used ,,mjb
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

How silver is the paint? From pics I've seen it looks very light grey, not silver at all.
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

D605Eagle wrote:How silver is the paint? From pics I've seen it looks very light grey, not silver at all.
Yes ,,,it's more a light grey and a darker grey at the bottom ,,,but I think they always have been ,HORNBY,Bachmann etc ,,it might just be the names they are given ,silver fox ,quicksilver ,,makes you think they are silver but in fact they aren't,,,,,