1361 class

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
D605Eagle

Re: 1361 class

Post by D605Eagle »

Pennine MC wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:... look how the class 16 had to be discounted to shift units, Hattons learned their lesson with that one...
I would honestly discount that as a factor Jim - Hattons must have remaindered every Heljan loco they've ever sold, including things like Hymeks, 26s, 27s and 33s which are perennially popular and folk often build up multiples of. The most recent 26/0s are at this moment around the 60 quid mark; I just think it's what they expect to do at a certain point in the shelf life of a given model.

Hattons are very good at taking manufacturers unsold stock at a very favourable discount, also I have inside info :wink: LOL!
Sails

Post by Sails »

I have ordered my loco today, looking forward to it's arrival next week. I had already ordered online but did did a good close up look at this and other Heljan small locos today at the Southampton fair. They were all good looking models.
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Hi all,

I'm tempted but we mustn't forget that Kernow/DJ Models are making one as well. My choice as to which one will be based on quality and how well it runs not the price unless Hattons do a cheap price on Heljan's.....

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Allegheny1600

Post by Allegheny1600 »

D605Eagle wrote:So how do explain Hornby making what I expect is a better detailed model of a Peckett for £90 less? Your reckoning is totally wrong because year in, year out, models have been subject to inflation busting price increases of teens of percent and Inflation as been minuscule in the last 15 years as well, no where near the 400% you are suggesting.
Hornby are making the Peckett for £30?
Wow!
My reckoning about inflation is that things tend to double in price every seven years so the £45 loco has doubled twice since then.
That makes 200% not 400, thanks.
Cheers,
John.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Oh dear. The LIST price of the Peckett is £90 less than the LIST price of the 1361. :roll: Its actually 300% increase. My bad. Inflation in the last 15 years would make your £45 be £67.05. Not quite £180.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Amazingly DJ models are doing this loco as well exclusively for KernowModelCentre. The list price is £35 less than Heljans, and the quoted £124.95 that some people have quoted for the Heljan version could well be this one? I don't know.
clicky
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Looking at another forum comments on the running qualities on the Heljan 1366 seem to be favourable provided it works okay in the first place. On the other hand the DJ models J94 has a geared drive which people refer to as noisy and I have read of it, oddly, falling off Code 100 track. Suppose like most Heljan models if they do not sell well their will be some significant discounts (witness the 128s etc)
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Mike Parkes wrote:Looking at another forum comments on the running qualities on the Heljan 1366 seem to be favourable provided it works okay in the first place. ...........................................................
That is exactly the reason that I tend to shy away from Heljan models. Odd that it seems that the reliable ones of recent manufacture are the models that eventually are discounted off. I simply do not trust a 100% reliable product from the company and even for a heavily discounted GBP 125.00 model, that is not good enough.

For basically half the cost of a Heljan small steam locomotive I can purchase a new Bachmann (obviously not the same model) and I am confident that it will perform. Heljan really need to source more reliable components in their models and not put GBP 0.99c motors in expensive models.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Seems that the main problems are that the base plates, the 1366 and presumably the 1361, has two and are screwed on too tight. As for the value of the motor its not only Heljan who appear to use cheap components, if that is indeed the case for Heljan. Just sourced from Hong Kong for £3.11 (according to my credit card bill) 4 coreless motors which, unless I am very mistaken when they turn up, are those that Bachmann are using in, for example, the Wickham Trolley.
Last edited by Mike Parkes on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

D605Eagle wrote:Amazingly DJ models are doing this loco as well exclusively for KernowModelCentre. The list price is £35 less than Heljans, and the quoted £124.95 that some people have quoted for the Heljan version could well be this one? I don't know.
clicky

At least the Heljan one is here. How long for the DJ models one IF it ever appears ?.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

They have received their painted samples a little while ago 12th December, so if they are up to standard and they are happy to continue to production then 3 months / 4 months.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

trainlover23 wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:Amazingly DJ models are doing this loco as well exclusively for KernowModelCentre. The list price is £35 less than Heljans, and the quoted £124.95 that some people have quoted for the Heljan version could well be this one? I don't know.
clicky

At least the Heljan one is here. How long for the DJ models one IF it ever appears ?.
3 to 4 months. Apart from that every model is accurately detailed for differences, and at £35 less I would wait if I was in the market for one. My Hattons source tells me virtually no returns of the DJ J94 unlike some Heljan models. The Garrett was a nightmare for them.
Sails

Post by Sails »

I got my 1361 yesterday, spent the day just slow running it in, I have a Lenz decoder installed. First impressions, I really like it, this is my first Heljan modela and the smooth quiet running is so different to anything else I have. Nice detailing and a heavy sturdy loco. I'm now very tempted to get the 1366.

Mark