Operating 'Minories' and Improvements

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
dgp1957

Re: Operating 'Minories' and Improvements

Post by dgp1957 »

Hi, sorry if this is a daft question, where could I use a double slip in the minories plan to give me a bit more room?

David
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

dgp1957 wrote:Hi, sorry if this is a daft question, where could I use a double slip in the minories plan to give me a bit more room?

David
Where the pair of points are back to back but be aware the point to the tiny siding at the top where locos wait will need to have a left hand point instead of a right hand point. Also be aware room has to be made that is void of pointwork if possible (certainly not where a double slip is or where point blades are) so the boards will fold. The hinges have to be raised so no interference happens where the track and buildings and platforms are concerned.
dgp1957

Post by dgp1957 »

Here's pic of what, I am trying to do. The double slip is peck code 100, and the points are hornby, it doesn't look right does it?
Attachments
1507122951537-810591492.jpg
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Personally I would sell the set-track points and invest in streamline, having spent the money on a double slip it seems the most sensible thing to do. Don;t be afraid of second hand, most are in good condition.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Will be difficult to get streamline points in the space though? Would be the way I would try to go though, better running on the points and more pleasing geometry
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Don't think that it is impossible, the way that the track has been laid out reflects the 12degree angle of the double slip, it is this angle that is the main element that makes streamline formations longer than set-track, I estimate that using streamline small radius points around that double slip would only add a couple of inches to the formation. Can I suggest downloading and printing off the point diagrams from the Peco website and pinning them out on your board. Available here - http://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Fi ... -95,96.pdf

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

With the double slip, young longer need the two top point crossover as the double slip caters to reach those lines instead. This saves space so one can have longer trains. The angle of the upper right point is a bit sharp so one can either have a short flexible length of track to reach it from the double slip, or replace it with a different point (Small point from the streamline range) or, if you dont mind the possibility of breaking a point (If all goes wrong.. Best use an old point you dont mind about) you could shorten the point and solder flexible track to alter the angle.

Consideration will be needed about platform space as the space you have is limited in width. Not too much of an issue as long as you dont try to cram too much in.

While thinking about the plan and what I would do a thought came into my head "Why dont I make one myself to experiment with" and it made me smile as it is quite a temptation!
Last edited by Mountain on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgp1957

Post by dgp1957 »

DSC_0002-816x612resize.JPG
ok

Thanks for all the info, I have dug up two old peco points from my box of track bits, a lh and y point and attached them.
Looks better now, quite happy with this, I will be using Nce powercab to control the locos, was thinking of running a set of droppers from each line to a power bus, what do you think?
dgp1957

Post by dgp1957 »

I have removed the two points as suggested, looks better I think.
DSC_0002-612x816.JPG
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Its looking good. :) Yes. That works.
dgp1957

Post by dgp1957 »

Do the peco points need to have dcc clips fitted as well?
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

This looks better overall. DCC clips are a bodge and should not be used on either points. The best method is to wire the track properly, with additional power feeds where required to ensure continuity. It's not difficult and means a more reliable setup.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Would it not be cheaper and more reliable to solder wire connections instead? You don't have to wire the points themselves but solder wires to the nearby track. That way if in the future you may lift up the track, the pointwork will not have solder in undesirable places.
If you have not tried soldering, it is a very useful skill to learn. I am no expert, but I get by... I tend to use too much solder to make sure the wires are fixed in position! :lol:
For anyone who has not tried, I'd recommend giving it a go. The only real cautions are that soldering irons, by there nature are very how when in use, so try not to burn your fingers! (Dont step on the chord while going to pick the iron up... One will no longer be grasping the handle but be grasping the hot bit instead!)
Secondly, if you buy flux, be careful as some fluxes carry warnings not to let it touch your skin.
Also, it is a good idea to get a clear pair of eye protectors (Saftey glasses) so if you accidentally flick solder when soldering a springy piece of wire, at least your eyes are protected. I personally won't solder or use a minidrill without eye protection as one never knows what could happen next.
If new and don't want to risk burnt fingers, one can wear heat resistant gloveswhich is heading for saftey overkill, though personally I find such items more of a hinderence then a help! I have to say that if one invests in a decent soldering stand to put the iron in, burnt fingers is less likely then not using a stand.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Just spotted a problem with this plan- there's no way for arriving trains to reach the upper platform. To resolve this, you need to add the crossover you removed, but with right-hand points rather than left.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

There wasn't on the original plan, though it is usual for coaches to be removed from a trapped loco and then shunted in the first platform ready for a larger loco to back onto the train to depart.