All I ask for is a decent site

What do you want from a model railway shop?
bike2steam

Re: All I ask for is a decent site

Post by bike2steam »

trooper wrote: Other posters should take note it is not all sweetness and light running your own business no matter what it is.
Amen to that my friend.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

sorry should have been more clear the £400 would be for a simple information only site - ie it only gives information without any processing of orders etc as this gets more complex and expensive (cheap solution would be to link site to eBay shop)

the investment is allot of money but if it increases orders then the investment will more then pay for itself - i have been on several websites and not ordered anything because the sites been poor

a good website will also give customers all the information they need which will mean less emails asking questions making it easier to run the business

updating a website built with WordPress (open source content management system) is as easy as sending an email or posting to a forum, if they cant handle that then asking a friend or family member to help them is a common solution we see at work.

if money is an issue there are other options - WordPress.com will let you set up a free site with many of the features of a normal WordPress website you are just limited to the design / layout options.

Even an eBay shop would be better as people know and trust eBay so you can cash in on its credibility not to mention the traffic the website gets will help boost sales.

Running a business has its pros and cons just like working a full time job, updating the website should be the same admin work like sending quotes, filling out tax returns etc and depending on what it is you do can take as little as 15 minutes a month if that!
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

I'd have to say I agree that a lot of websites out there are poor, poor design, colours, cluttered etc, but then what makes a good website?
people o a budget cannot nescesarily afford to spend hundreds of pounds being ripped of by a website developer, and instead choose to DIY, where their own limitations at design are apparant. BUT if you know what an item is, and the dealer is reputable, to make a snap decision not to buy on the basis of a poor website is certainly a bit judgemental.
rather than discount anyone from a website, ask around if they are new to you, see what other's experiances are for sure.

conversley a nice website can hide a dismal retailer, but on the previous post, you would be happy to shop their.
they are thye chances you take.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Its a common thing for people who work with code/ computers to have their skills undervalued because its not recognised as a skilled job but it is in fact more so then most due to its ever changing nature- but taking another example - a car and a mechanic - if you dont know what you are doing you take your car to the garage to be looked at by a professional the same is true with websites if you dont know what you are doing get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it. Building a house is another example, or lawyers or film directors etc etc

taking another example a retail shop, if you turn up and the shop and all they present you with is a long list of items they stock (think Argos catalogue without the images) insist you pay in cash (equivalent of email / call to order) and the staff are on the phone the whole time (equivalent to poor navigation / layout) your not going to have a good experience

popping next door you have a shop with products in display cabinets helpful friendly staff and let you place orders on your card odds are you will take your business here and spend more time looking around = more money spent = better for the retailer :lol:

Like a shop there is no way of telling how reputable they are just from looking at it but someone who has invested in their site in my opinion looks more trustworthy - another example market stall vs retail shop - I am not saying there is anything wrong with the market stall the retail shop just looks more repeatable.

i agree however if you know what your looking at its possible to order from lists of items but for those of us like me who don't have that amount of knowledge photos go a very long way

most peoples shopping habits are the same as soon as they have found a safe trustworthy website they are more likely to come back instead of looking elsewhere - think Amazon you most people have used it before and would be happy going back and would pay a bit more over other retailers to 'make sure they get their item'
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

I'm not sure i shop at Amazon because of its website. In fact, its website is one area where i think it could do better - try and find details of how to return a faulty item outside of its 30 day policy.

Isn't this like comparing apples and oranges? Amazon and Branchlines aren't really in the same league. I had to phone Branchlines about the motor for a Class 142. As has been pointed out, there really isn't very much on their website. I called the proprietor and he listened to the fault i had and then suggested that what i really needed was 'X' and not 'Y' (that i had thought.) He was right too. I'd much rather have the owner spending time answering questions like mine than plugging away on CSS to deliver a slick website.

Generally, I agree with your principles that a good website may deliver confidence in the product, but in my profession (medicine), i could easily point you to the slick websites of practices that i would steer well clear of. One in Cardiff is due to go before the GDC very soon for its misleading website which spued pages of glowing testimonials. Unfortunately, there was a spelling mistake in the first one and it got repeated again and again and again through several 'different' testimonials. Ooops; but it fooled a lot of people for a long time. Hope they get the book thrown at them.

A good website is simply that - a good website. It gives no indication of the wholesomeness of the owner or otherwise. To establish this, you need a personal contact, whether it by phone or better still, going in the shop and explaining the problem.

If "all i ask is a decent site", then by definition, all you want to do is buy something with no wish for support or technical tips. If you want the advice and experience of the owner then you may have to be less fussy about the decent website.
Steve1414

Post by Steve1414 »

I run an online only business, so getting the website right is a must. I will let you know that we have not got it right, but I am doing my best to get it so. I am developing a new website that is so much better than the old one, and this is considered a step in the right direction.

We have added product descriptions to every page. Some websites especially in the model railway industry do not even do this. We add at least one large image for every product listed. Some websites do not even do this. The problem we have with images, is that some manufacturers have no images of their products. How they sell on their websites with no images is beyond me. Where we have no manufacturer images, we tend to take our own. We are not photographers, so they are not perfect, but they are better than those supplied by the manufacturers. When selling to customers via an online shop, you take away the touchy feely side of shopping and have to have good images and descriptions.

We have to consider the customers who use the website and the search engines who are also important, in some, cases they are more important. We add information for customers to allow them to make an informed decision as to whether they purchase the product or not, but we also have to consider the search engines who are sending people to the website based on their inputted search criteria. Its a fine juggling act that cannot possibly please both parties.

Designing a websites category list is not easy. Technically every page within a website should be no more than two or three clicks from the home page. Having hundreds of categories to make finding the product easier totally goes against this rule. So I have to make a decision, do I upset the search engines or the customers. In this instance I do what the customer want and add loads of categories and sub categories. This makes finding what the customer wants easier. It does penalise me as a website owner in the search engine listings. Having a listing for say hand tools then listing over 20 pages of tools, only annoys the customer as it takes so long to find what you want. Listing hand tools with sub categories make it so much easier for the customer.

The search facilities included in most websites are only as good as the designers/coders want them to be. As a store owner, there is nearly nothing I can do to alter this. Unfortunately it you search for a common term you will get lots of results. Narrow down your search term and the results will better reflect what you are searching for. I can help by adding correct and proper item titles that describe the products, but there will always be something that does not work as it is hoped it would.

Being a website owner is not as easy as some people think, so do bare with us at times, and if there is something that you think is wrong with the website let us know. Without customer complaints we do not know where things need altering. All it takes is a bit of time on your part and the use of a contact us form which most sites have. I certainly welcome customer feedback. Being online only we do not get the opportunity to talk to our customers so must rely on feedback.
amsie

Post by amsie »

I just read the OP's statement in disbelief.

Hornby website, click on coaches, page shows 1-10 of 233 products, thats 24 pages to scroll through for the casual buyer.

Hattons, Bachmann to name 2, click on coaches, they are all there for me to browse.

I rest my case
bike2steam

Post by bike2steam »

Just goes to prove, you can't please everyone :? .
Adi.p

Post by Adi.p »

I have to agree with RRH87. I have found what he has found when browsing or shopping for items, some websites from celebrated manufacturers, are low quality. Hornby's website is very easy to navigate and the pictures are clear and large enough to see. I have found with Bachmann's website that it is tricky to navigate and the pictures are to small to see. Many items are not in stock either. Hattons has a good site but it is hard to navigate if you want a quick browse or you are searching for a specific item. I think New Modellers Shop is a great site and better than what Bachman is offering or hattons. But saying that, they are all decent websites and do the job fine. I always prefer a flick through a catalogue where every thing is there in front of me.
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species
Pear

Post by Pear »

Mod Edit: Appears to be spam