Edgware GN, New loco's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
trainsandco

Re: Edgware GN in 'OO'

Post by trainsandco »

wow...I really like that bridge, it looks awesome :)

well done

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
manna

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Time for another update, have been working on Deans Brook bridge, I had the basic structure, made out of 9mm MDF and strong enough to stand on, but it needed to be covered in embossed plastic sheet, which is now completed I've also painted it, but I still have to tone it down a bit, a quick spray with some black paint and matt varnish should do the trick. As you will see in the pics I've also painted the retaining walls of the Northern Line bridge.

In Septembers 'Model Rail' there was a great pic of Edgware, seen from the air and taken in 1926, it shows the goods yard packed with wagons, it also allowed me see where everything went, which also meant that all the things that were wrong showed up like the proverbial ?? So I've had to pull up a lot of track work and put it in the right place, to me now, it looks a lot better, the pic showed me that the main platform was woefully short, it has now been extended to 1.7 mtrs. The headshunt is a bit short, in but even a small station like Edgware should by rights take up at least 20feet.

A few more locos and coaches have been bought off of E-Bay, but are still in the mail system, a Class 47 and a 29 are the latest diesels and a H-D 2-6-4 chassis to go with a couple of bodies that I picked up about 20 years ago? The 'Mainline' class 46 that I'm rebuilding is coming along nicely, just need the glass refitting and the headcodes and some couplings, so not to much to do :shock:
manna
Attachments
K3 and 46 at Edgware.JPG
K3 and 46 at Edgware.JPG (82.51 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
Deans Brook Bridge.JPG
Deans Brook Bridge.JPG (75.07 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
lairadepot

Post by lairadepot »

hi ya
nice start to your layout i wish you luck for the future progress of the layout
so what have you got planned to be done on the layout next
and what made you decide on edgware
laira depot
Postie

Post by Postie »

Hi Manna
I grew up a couple of hundred yards from the line from Edgware to Mill Hill and can just remember seeing short goods trains shortly before the line closed. I last walked the trackbed around 20 years ago but the final stretch into the old yard was impassable. It had turned into a supermarket site and the sites of the coal heaps and timber stacks were now under asphalt. As a youngster the old yard certainly seemed more interesting; little did I know it was all soon to be swept away in the name of progress. I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on your layout so keep up the good work.

Regards
Charles
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I'm glad you liked the layout, Thank you. :D

'Lairadepot' Now that I've got the bridge done,I want to finish off the scenery on this section then I can concentrate on the ballasting. I grew up in Nth London, Wood Green in fact, so I like GN and LNER loco's, but trying to model Wood Green with it's six platforms and ten through tracks is a bit over the top so I had to pick something a bit smaller and I had walked a fair bit of the 'Northern Heights in the past when I saw a plan for Edgware in the Railway Modeller so I thought why not, it would be so much easier than trying to model Alexandra Palace as a backdrop :shock:

'Postie' Wonderful to hear from someone who knew the line, the pity is that Deans Brook bridge has been demolished only a few years ago, something to do with the tube depot being enlarged, my local goods yard 'Noel Park' in Wood Green, had the same type of stuff being delivered by rail until the early 60's coal, wood, sand and sewer pipes !make a great playground eh :lol:
manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

As I said in my last post, I want to complete the scenery on the 'Deans Brook bridge' board, well after three months ------------- I'm no where near it, but at least I've started, the 'Northern Line has been completed ballast wise and the retaining walls finished and painted, the whole board has been plastered and even rubbed down nice and smooth,'Teddy Bear fur' has been glued to the embankments and the cutting but only to the fence line, that grass will be a lot shorter, the 'Teddy bear fur' is a bit darker than I wanted but that was all I could get, I wonder if I could use a small amount of 'bleach' on it ?????

Some sand bins have been made for the goods yard (sorry no pics yet) and the platform face has been covered in embossed brick plasticard and painted, not as much done as I would have liked but with the temperature hitting 42c some days, the shed gets a bit hot ?? :oops: Piccy time

manna
Attachments
long grass 12.jpg
long grass 12.jpg (108.24 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
long grass 2.jpg
long grass 2.jpg (93.4 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I thought it was time for another update, so here goes, I've been filling between the tracks in the goods yard and started the dock behind the platforms, some track work has been adjusted for ease of operation, also been repainting some locos into 50/60's colours.

manna
Attachments
loading dock.JPG
loading dock.JPG (86.02 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
4th rail.JPG
4th rail.JPG (82.16 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
NSE DAZ

Post by NSE DAZ »

Hi manna,

Some great pictures and progress 8) see you have mastered the track ballasting really well (I hate this job :roll: )

Look forward to more updates,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

And hello to NSE Daz, don't mind ballasting, that 2 feet took me about 2 hours, but I will admit that it takes a toll on the back of your neck ?

I've been updating some of my older models, Brittania has had new brass smoke deflectors fitted and renamed 'Alfred the Great', an older Hornby A3 is being painted and renamed 'Manna' in wartime Black livery, and a Dapol 03 kit has been motorized with a 'Nellie' chassis and had skirts and cow catchers fitted.

I took some diesel loco pictures as well but they did'nt turn out so well, we'll try again tomorrow.

manna

PS sorry lost the picture of 'Manna'
Attachments
cowcatcher 4.JPG
cowcatcher 4.JPG (65.96 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
Alfred, almost!.JPG
Alfred, almost!.JPG (99.94 KiB) Viewed 5608 times
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I've managed to find a picture of 'Manna' and ' Alfred the Great'

manna
Attachments
Look behind Alfred
Look behind Alfred
DSCF0110.JPG (83.88 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Manna 7.JPG
Manna 7.JPG (74.82 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Things are still happening at Edgware, a Cravans class 105 DMU has arrived to help out on the morning and afternoon commuter trains, saves a lot of time on running round N2's and L1's

Also Edgware needs a goods shed, so at the moment I'm building a big shed, I bought a Hornby shed off of E-Bay and have cut it up to make it almost half as big again, here's some pics to show the progress so far.
Attachments
DSCF0020.JPG
DSCF0020.JPG (81.28 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
DSCF0018.JPG
DSCF0018.JPG (80.93 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
DSCF0015.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG (90.22 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
cravans 6.JPG
cravans 6.JPG (96.59 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
manna

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Being on holiday has it's advantages, you can get more done than usual, still working on the goods shed, I've made and fitted the awning and I've given it a rough coat of paint, that makes it stand out ! all walls have now been covered in brick embossed plastic, the next job was to make the goods shed office, that has now been made, with just a few bits to do to finish that off, then it's on to the main shed roof, which means I've got to cut an awful lot of roof slates !!!!

manna
Attachments
Office 4.JPG
Office 4.JPG (79.77 KiB) Viewed 5409 times
Office 2.JPG
Office 2.JPG (73.44 KiB) Viewed 5409 times
Office 1.JPG
Office 1.JPG (66.98 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
The 'new' damaged awning in place
The 'new' damaged awning in place
DSCF0003.JPG (54.39 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Manna,

Just having my morning cuppa whilst having a quick browse through the forum, things are really coming along nicely at Edgware. Love the scratch built goods shed I believe it will look great once you get it all completed.

You've done a good job on the A3 looks super in that black livery, might need to give that one a go myself.

Keep the pic's coming.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

G'Day Mikem64

Glad you like the layout, I'm really happy the goods shed is turning out as well as it is, I've never built anything so big, only a couple of signal boxes about 30 years ago, yesterday (it's now morning in Oz ) I did a bit more on the office, ridge tiles and bargeboards then I moved over to the platform ? inside the goods shed, the only thing I don't know is , what was the flooring inside goods shed? stone slabs or wood planking :?:

The A3 'Manna' has come out good in wartime black, the nameplates have arrived from the UK and I only have to paint and letter the tender to have a completed loco. one thing about a wartime loco is you can have them as dirty as you like.

manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Another good day in the shed, I've made up the platform in the goods shed and fitted some steps, the 'deck' part of the platform I've painted brown for the moment so that I can change it when I find out what it is capped with, here's a couple of pics to show some progress.

manna
Attachments
DSCF0023.JPG
DSCF0023.JPG (89.46 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
DSCF0022.JPG
DSCF0022.JPG (48.43 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
DSCF0021.JPG
DSCF0021.JPG (59.84 KiB) Viewed 5318 times