loco chip codes

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Flashbang

Re: loco chip codes

Post by Flashbang »

Dad-1 wrote:Don't create unnecessary shorts ... not a good idea at all.

Geoff T.
With respect Dad-1 (Geoff) That's a load of rubbish. Sorry!
All DCC layouts ideally should have a "Coin across the rails" short circuit test carried out to ensure all parts of the layout will actually trip the system!
Equally, there are very few, if any, layout operators who have never had a loco de-rail or accidentally left something across the rails (steel rule, metal tools etc) and caused a short circuit. Even more so for the Electrofrog point user who can, in error, drive a loco into the Y end of an unset point and cause a short to occur - I speak for many occurrences experience! :o
The units are fully designed to trip out upon a short circuit occurring. Its part of their safety system and it won't cause any problems to the console, power supply or anything else (other than possibly resetting a occasional older Hornby and some Bachmann decoders!)

Its not guaranteed to reset a decoder, but there was a lot of problems with early Hornby decoders resetting themselves especially after a short occurred. Well worth a try, it may or may not work? No harm will be done to anything. The system is designed to accept short circuits will occur, as I stated above.
No, its not the usual way of seeing if a decoder will reset, but will worth a try I feel !
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I started out with the E-Z Command controller and it's absolutely fine for just about everything you need - particularly when you're starting out on the DCC road. However, on its own it really is what it says on the tin, ie a controller and, apart from allowing you to change direction and loco address (within the already mentioned 1-9 range) that's all it's intended to do.

I appreciate that it's all been said already, but the bottom line for the specific problem posed is down to just two options:

- Acquire a new controller / device (Dynamis, Sprog, etc) and re-programme the decoder's address
- Get someone with the appropriate kit to do it for you.

It's as simple as that. Yes, maybe putting a short on the line would do it and yes, the controller should accommodate this, but like the other correspondent, I wouldn't recommend it.
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

If you set the address using the E-Z command it will change the address of any and all locos on the track. You do not need to address the loco first and so simply ignore the bit about selecting address 3 and go straight to the step that sets the new address. You should not need to use any other controller.

Cheers
Dave
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Dave,

If you're right (and I have a feeling you probably are), then it means that (a) I'm wrong - apologies to all - and (b) I've learned something!

Thanks.
martyn00

Post by martyn00 »

ElDavo wrote:If you set the address using the E-Z command it will change the address of any and all locos on the track. You do not need to address the loco first and so simply ignore the bit about selecting address 3 and go straight to the step that sets the new address. You should not need to use any other controller.

Cheers
Dave

i have just put my two dcc locos on a piece of track one address was 1 and the other 78.i changed the address 1 loco to number 3 and it didnt change the loco numbered 78

i also shorted the track and all that happened was the controller knocked off it didnt reset my decoder

so its of to the local model club to get mine sorted on the weekend hopefully

martyn
Flashbang

!

Post by Flashbang »

martyn00 wrote: i have just put my two dcc locos on a piece of track one address was 1 and the other 78.i changed the address 1 loco to number 3 and it didnt change the loco numbered 78

i also shorted the track and all that happened was the controller knocked off it didnt reset my decoder

so its of to the local model club to get mine sorted on the weekend hopefully

martyn
Hi Martyn
Well worth the few minutes to try them though. :wink: :wink:
Good luck with the weekends reset :D :D
martyn00

Post by martyn00 »

well i went along to a local model railway club today to readdress my loco guess what not one layouts is dcc.so ive taken the decoder out of the loco and now im hoping i can find somebody to change the address for me is there anybody who is willing for me to send them my decoder to be reset to number 3 as im a bit stuck now

thanks

martyn
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi Martyn
PM sent to you.
DIRTY DIESEL

Post by DIRTY DIESEL »

martyn00 wrote:well i went along to a local model railway club today to readdress my loco guess what not one layouts is dcc.so ive taken the decoder out of the loco and now im hoping i can find somebody to change the address for me is there anybody who is willing for me to send them my decoder to be reset to number 3 as im a bit stuck now

thanks

martyn
Hi Martyn

Have you now being sorted?
I can reset it for you if you want iv a NCE Power Cab.

Stu
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

same here... but postage might be a little steep :lol:
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
martyn00

Post by martyn00 »

thanks for the offers gentlemen but ive sorted the problem out.i now only need a new contrller

martyn