EFFORTLESS CLEANING TRACK!

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
bike2steam

Re: EFFORTLESS CLEANING TRACK!

Post by bike2steam »

Good to see the message has got thro' to most people, I've been saying for years, don't mix WD40 with model railways, now all it needs is the same for track rubbers, and plastic wheels on rolling stock. :D
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

whats wrong with track rubbers?? They do clean the track faily well.

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
bike2steam

Post by bike2steam »

What's right with them ? They should be called 'muck spreaders' not track rubbers, they might remove lumps of dirt, but in doing so leave a thin slimy film, also don't forget rubber is made from oil. The best way of cleaning track is by a degreasing solvent for heavy dirt removal, or lightly rubbing over with the rough side of a piece of hardboard for light dirt removal.
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

Not to mention they are slightly abbrasive, which cuts lots of very fine scratches into the railhead which in turn act like dirt magnets as they allow dirt to adhere much more easily than to a polished surface.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
bike2steam

Post by bike2steam »

Zunnan wrote:Not to mention they are slightly abbrasive, which cuts lots of very fine scratches into the railhead which in turn act like dirt magnets as they allow dirt to adhere much more easily than to a polished surface.
True, forgot that . And not forgetting another of my hates, another 'muck spreader' - traction tyres - erggghhh.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I have successfully used WD 40 on my track.
If you must, (and it is excellent for cleaning but death to plastic parts) spray it on a cloth and not over the general area. (Do not breathe in while you do this) Then wipe it along the track and immediately wipe it off! It will ruin traction tyres (some may see this as a welcome death) and it will make the rails very friction free (think leaves on BR)
otherwise.
A nylon scourer or thick cloth with isopropyl alcohol or very cheap perfume that you have to explain! is better and doesn't leave scratches like sandpaper to inhibit future running.I would never use WD 40 on modern loco bodies or mechanisms. It is not so bad on metal (Wrenn etc) but I think there are equal or better alternatives as some others have explained.
rocketman
chris6166

Post by chris6166 »

My father uses 'lighter fuel' to clean track but as i have small children around I have not used it, WD40 - well it is not good, I tried it in an experimental way and decided never again, anyone used the Dapol track cleaning self propelled wagon?
Hulldude15

Post by Hulldude15 »

chris6166 wrote:anyone used the Dapol track cleaning self propelled wagon?
I have it. It is ok, but if you have really dirty track then, obviously the motor wont work when it's really dirty, because the electricity can't get to it. Mine won't work with a hornby sapphire decoder and hornby select, so I am running it on DC, so if you have a select, don't bother with DCC for the wagon, it was sooooo annoying :x.
Stewart Gethin

Post by Stewart Gethin »

What i use is these pads of fabric that click on to a axle under a wagon or something and then gets pushed/pulled infront/behind/ a loco, put a bit of metholated spirit on them every now and then and they work a treat, i just don't know if they sell them anymore.

Stew
mikeuk54

Post by mikeuk54 »

Stewart Gethin wrote:What i use is these pads of fabric that click on to a axle under a wagon or something and then gets pushed/pulled infront/behind/ a loco, put a bit of metholated spirit on them every now and then and they work a treat, i just don't know if they sell them anymore.

Stew
(Gaugemaster GM39 - N Scale Track Cleaning Pads. Axle Hung Pack of 3) Still available. :)
Stewart Gethin

Post by Stewart Gethin »

my layout is OO ;)

Stew
Hulldude15

Post by Hulldude15 »

Stewart Gethin wrote:my layout is OO ;)
Look Here: http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM37
jayeastanglia

Post by jayeastanglia »

I have been using "railzip" A kind of red liquid which is applied to the track left overnight and wiped off very rarely have to clean my 009 layout track which in built in my garage....Also i found its great for electrical pick ups on 009 rolling stock.
When i bought the 1 and only bottle i am using now I was very sceptical of its claims but does seem to work ok and i really hate cleaning track
Hulldude15

Post by Hulldude15 »

jayeastanglia wrote:I have been using "railzip" A kind of red liquid which is applied to the track left overnight and wiped off very rarely have to clean my 009 layout track which in built in my garage....Also i found its great for electrical pick ups on 009 rolling stock.
When i bought the 1 and only bottle i am using now I was very sceptical of its claims but does seem to work ok and i really hate cleaning track
I have that too. I am a bit wary of using it as it says May Cause Cancer on the back! :shock:

I didn't know that you had to wipe it off though???
daleks04

Post by daleks04 »

hi all,

i found a non-abrasive track cleaner.

it is a track rubber - de-greases and polishes

from gthe double O gauge association

is is wonderful, and only leaves a very little small powder on the sleepers - lookes like sleeper grime if allowed to build up.

amarjot :D
Always face the sun...That way any shadows fall behind you...