My 00 gauge layout jakeys junction!

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
trains!

Re: My 00 gauge shunting yard

Post by trains! »

bsa77 wrote:

Type of yard? Good wagons? Coal? Tankers? Carriages? Loco service yard?Terminal type layout or tailchaser?Era?How much scenery? Some want a realistic rural scene (like Lee's lakes layout), some like urban layouts with massive built up areas - others seem intent on filling every inch with track.
What is the budget for track, no use saying £60 and then wanting 15 points...

Type of yard? Any thats freight pretty much.
Good wagons? Yes please :D unloaded or loaded i dont mind.
Coal? Again dont mind. If a good plan comes up with coal then yes
Tankers? Same as coal.
Carriages? NO NO NO! If i manage to make space in my bedroom, and get to use a wall. I'll have more space, I will put a mainlne in which will occuppy passenger stock :D.
Loco service yard? No thanks that kinda stuff doesn't intrest me.
Terminal type layout or tailchaser?Probally the main bit will be this yard of a sort
Era? Umm i like br blue present and transition from steam to diesel... So i will run different eras :D.
How much scenery? Dont mind too much as long as i get to make some houses and a bit of a town scene.
What is the budget for track, no use saying £60 and then wanting 15 points... Dont have one as long as its not sky high. As in max i would say is about £350 on pre owned track.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:
TheFreightMaster123

Post by TheFreightMaster123 »

Hi,
Here's the plan ya requested, Since you said you wanted it quite small i've done it in 6ft X 3ft, Though this means the track on the inner siding is only first radius, and the points had to be peco setrack. Its a cement plant, with loading facilities, and space to unload wagons of supplies. There are a coupla other sidings, so you could have a fueling point, shed and maybe wagon maintenence siding. Anyway, here it is:
jakes plan.JPG
jakes plan.JPG (71.86 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
h
HOPE YOU LIKE IT! :roll: :wink:
Cam
Official Wagonaholic
Davidm wrote:Remember, that at our scale of 2mm/ft, 0.1mm is approximately equal to 2”, and a Super Voyager would fly if it hit that at 90 mph.
One of NRM's 2 official Freight masters PM if interested in joining the Freight Crew.
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

I don't think you can really squeeze some sort of small town scene into the middle of a railway yard without it looking a bit odd (who wants to be surrounded by railway and noisy industry on all sides?)

I've had a quick go at a plan (took me an awful lot longer than 5 minutes though!) using S_Jay's plan as a starting point (I don't really have much idea of yard plans myself). This puts the town at the back so that you don't have to reach over it - there's an increase in height as you get further back, so you get a nice 3D layout without having your view of the trains blocked. All the trackwork should be within fairly easy reach for cleaning/ derailments.

As you said you wanted it as small as possible, but a max of 8' x 4', I've trimmed the depth so it's 3 and a bit feet. If you go any less deep than that then you'll probably have to lose the curve (or have it falling off the edge of the baseboards).

I've used medium points as you said, but I think you might be better using small in a layout of this size, or perhaps have a less busy track plan. If you want less width then I would definitely use small points.

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
trains!

Post by trains! »

Ooo quite a good plan for both, what about if the size was 15' by 2ft at the left end to about 4ft at the right? I still prefer s_jays plan slighly modified.
Jake
See here for my plan:

Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

trains! wrote:what about if the size was 15' by 2ft at the left end to about 4ft at the right?
Hahah you guys!! :wink:

You can have an awesome yard layout in 15' x 2'/4' ... how long would the 2' and 4' sections be? or would it be diagonal?

I think you should have a look at layouts of different sizes and decide what you'd like and how much time you want to spend on building it.... as small as possible below 8' is very different to 15' so you need to get a firm idea of the space you want to use.

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
trains!

Post by trains! »

If i can get a good plan and i can get track down quickly ill have the pateince,and the 2ft-4ft bit is because the 2ft bit is a the door.
Jake
See here for my plan:

trains!

Post by trains! »

More ideas :mrgreen: :roll: . Daddy said i had to finish my 009 layout first so i am extending it... I'm having a 009 industrial yard in the background... (im sneaky...) Which wont be too big, last thing is just got some measurements. Have drawn them up on word, paint doesnt want to co-operate.

Umm word keeps freezing so here it is in drawing :shock: hopefully. (by the way the plan aint to scale.)
Last edited by trains! on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
See here for my plan:

jamez

Post by jamez »

to be honest with you jake i agree on the fact that you should use a smaller scale for this and the other advantage of that is you can actually add more in i reckon you should use N Guage
trains!

Post by trains! »

Jamez i dont like n gauge, i do adore it but too fidly i'd end up standing on it :roll:. I'll get a plan up soon and the doors being taken off so i can have the layout,bigger :D . I'll get a baseboard plan up soon.
Jake
See here for my plan:

trains!

Re: My 00 gauge shunting yard-page 2 for baseboard plan

Post by trains! »

As promised:

My requirements are this: Wagon repair shed, Enigine shed, concrete area for unloading containers/ oil / minerals, fiddle yard on the 2' X 6' board etc etc. And any extras you think will be good if you make a plan thats good, and I use it with a few mods/ no mods ill send out a free wagon :D .
Jake
See here for my plan:

TheFreightMaster123

Hi,
I'll try and do ya a plan tomorrow, but I can't tonight coz i'm at my dads and he hasn't got xtrkcad/anyrail.
Free wagon sounds nice, what kind is it? I'm on the tightest budget EVER so the money saved willl go a long way.
Cam
Official Wagonaholic
Davidm wrote:Remember, that at our scale of 2mm/ft, 0.1mm is approximately equal to 2”, and a Super Voyager would fly if it hit that at 90 mph.
One of NRM's 2 official Freight masters PM if interested in joining the Freight Crew.
trains!

Post by trains! »

Not sure yet, lol if You want ill do a scrap wagon i did one on my layout and it looks teh shizz 8) :lol: :roll: :mrgreen: .
Jake
See here for my plan:

TheFreightMaster123

Currently workin on the track plan, but what if the wagon was more 'wagon scrap' than scrap wagon? IE. The wagon is damged and neds to be repaired. Either that or just a coupla chassis, so I can sratch build my own destroyed wagons.
Cam
P.S I'll have the plan up soon
Official Wagonaholic
trains!

Post by trains! »

Found a wagon you can have, but it has unknown couplings to me. i'll send to the best plan :D.
Jake
See here for my plan:

TheFreightMaster123

Ok heres the plan: (excuse the crap image)
The top left is the unloading (the sidings go all the way along)
And you have wagon/loco sheds & repair in the middle, with a fiddleyard in the top-right.
Cam
P.S hope u like it
Official Wagonaholic