Re: Eastford junction or yard?? Fiddle yard help needed!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
josh993

Re: New start - Need your opinion

Post by josh993 »

Well i have been geting on, after scrapping the cardboard hill I used the left over polostyrene from insulating my new railway shed and is alot better. Just need to finish one bit. Also properly built the pasenger line out of wood suports. I've started adding flock and scatter to part of the hill randomly in the middle :lol: where the tunnel entrance is, I've also added the coal building and a home made tree :mrgreen:

I've also ballasted the front of the layout 2/3's ish, added a porta cabin and fence and would like a jcb to go next to the porta cabin and is all fenced in. Then i added woodland scenics foilage and my fisrt experience of hanging basket liner which i'm very happy with and the whole layout is a weathered brown to look dull and dirty. I've also recently purchased a hornby silo and repainted and weathered it, i just need something to fill that gap at the front, maybe a cement storage tank??

I now have 90% of the stock, after now making all th airfix wagons and painting them, this contains: 4 presflo wagons, 1 prestwin (i need to get a couple more of these) 3 different vent vans 1 which i believe is a fruit wagon? 2 break vans, 4 mineral wagons and a OBA. all of these i will et round to weathering and have done 50% of them already, also weathered my first loco my hornby 08 to give it a oily and greasy look :P

And loco wise i now have class 20, 08, 04 and 108, 153 and hopefully another dmu (would like a 105 from bachmann but they look like they could be a while :( )

They worrying things now are
a. I haven't got the fiddle yard board yet!
b. I haven't got it wired up yet as i am still awaiting the arrival of my cdu, and will be tricky as i want to make it detachable!!
c. I have decided to go dcc, but still undisided on controller and is going to cost :(

but oh well, few pics attached and some more tomorrow
Attachments
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG (46.46 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG (42.04 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG (39.4 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG (35.97 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG (38.36 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
josh993

Post by josh993 »

some more
Attachments
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG (36.91 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0389.JPG (39.85 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG (36.64 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG (41.46 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
josh993

Post by josh993 »

2 more :mrgreen:

really need a new camera my phone doesn't do it justice :x

And one from where it all started from :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG (53.17 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG (31.23 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG (29.23 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
josh993

Re: No name??- New pics added

Post by josh993 »

No comments :(

Anyone think of a name?
Thunderbird

Re: No name??- New pics added

Post by Thunderbird »

it looks great to me :D
it really does need a name.....i've kind of missed the top of the post, but i'm assuming that it is fictional. how about naming it after your 2 (or 3) favourite places, such as Peterdon Barnet (after peterborough / doncaster and new barnet) or Eastfordhampton (east worthing/ford/littlehampton) last one would suit a southern layout mind. actually I like the Eastfordhampton (in southern that would actually mean something..it would be....the market town east of the ford)..but it is free for use.
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..
josh993

Post by josh993 »

Thunderbird wrote:it looks great to me :D
it really does need a name.....i've kind of missed the top of the post, but i'm assuming that it is fictional. how about naming it after your 2 (or 3) favourite places, such as Peterdon Barnet (after peterborough / doncaster and new barnet) or Eastfordhampton (east worthing/ford/littlehampton) last one would suit a southern layout mind. actually I like the Eastfordhampton (in southern that would actually mean something..it would be....the market town east of the ford)..but it is free for use.
Thanks for you coment , i thought being in the east maybe something like eastford junction or eastford yard?? what do you prefere??

Also been out in the modelling shed, and have fitted the rest of the polystrene hill near the entrance. Now it has come back to me how to sort out the 2 lines disapering into the fiddle yard (the passenger and yard)

So i have come up with some ideas, and would like your views and whitch ones or anyother to add??

so 1st is style of goods yard entrance taking into acount theres a hill either side:

a) idea from the layout its bassed on iceni cement http://www.jacksonsmodels.co.uk/acatalog/SS26.jpg
b) girder bridge
c) a brick wall either side (see picture attacthed called example) but replacing the girder with a brick wall on top!

Then the second questions is once chosen above what is the bridge for:
a) country back lane single road, with a country gate crossing on passenger line
b) double road (a lane for each direction) with a crossing gate
c) a footpath with a little barrel type crosing
d) maybe even a dirt track for the 4x4 country lane sorta thing

Then finally how to cover up the pasenger line!!
a) stone tunnel?
b) trees bethind road/foot path (personally think best suits the footpath or back road)
I'm stuck on this one need some ideas?

But I really need as much feedback as posible on this So lots of comments :mrgreen:

Josh
Attachments
example.jpg
example.jpg (4.95 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
josh993

Post by josh993 »

Today, I decided it was time for my layout to be rebuilt, after installing the platform on the higher level, the layout did not seem so prototypical and there also many things to fault:

1. when i did the hills, i used poloystrene and added scatter on top and didn't plaster so was to soft, and also because of this the scatter and bits was begining to flake off!
2. I noticed the ballast i had used was to bulky, and wanted something finer like sand!
3. Both of the lines, upper and lower level ran out right next to each other and i cou;dn't think of anyway to disguise the top line out.
4. I had used code 100 trck and wished i had used 75 or even hand built it!
5. after looking at legs and things for support i realised that using 9mm chip board for the bass, sides, backscene and everything really had made the layout really heavy, amking it hard to move, transport and have to pay for something expensive to suport!
6. After buying a NCE to go dcc sound on the layout, was looking at links on youtube and looked at a few steam locos and me likes alot :mrgreen: and very tempted

So the general idea was to rebuild it, BUT after taking it all up, and keep being inspired by all of these steam layouts I am now wondering about changing era :o

This http://www.jon612.fotopic.net/c1175261_1.html , vine street and the 44ft shed layout in sr based on epsom town me and a few mates meet up in

So I have a few options:
1. Change layout to a more fictois place!
2. Change era either br/sr steam or br steam and diesel like vine street!
3. Rebuild the layout, but plan it more, rebuild some lighter baseboards and take more time,
4. Build a small SLT something like this http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php? ... it=st+jude giving me somewhere to run my locos and some time to make my mind up.

I appreciate some feedback on what you would do!
trains!

Post by trains! »

To stop you talking to yourself eastford yard sounds better :D . I'd go with what you think would suit you, by what it sound like you want sound and steam. So do that, If you went steam make a engine shed with some old style surrondings.And for the fiddleyard i would say fiddleyard then layout.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool: