New N Gauge Loft Layout "Applesham"

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Drafty

Re: New N Gauge Loft Layout "Applesham"

Post by Drafty »

Just a little update of what (little) work that I've been doing on Applesham!

I've screwed all the baseborads down and stuck the plan on them,I've also run the track around the loft so I can run trains whilst I work. :D
I'm starting to lay a bit of track in the hidden section.
I've also worked out most of the wiring for the various occupancy sections I'm going to have for computer control.

Anyway here are some pictures...

Also built a scalescenes viaduct to see what the quality is like, and I'm impressed it only took a few hours to build albeit a little too quickly but it is only one of many (about 14 sets spanning 2 metres) As this is a mock up the next time I'll take more care to get the detailing right.

Any comments are welcome and thanks for looking!!

James
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

This is looking quite promising :)
I see you've cut out the sections for trackbeds (rather than having one big flat baseboard) - so does this mean different scenic levels, embankments, cuttings etc ?
2 metres of viaduct is going to be impressive :)
Loconut

Post by Loconut »

Hi James

This is looking great and like it is going to be an epic layout.

How did you decide upon the method of baseboard construction? It looks very involved and not just your simple "2 x 1 prepared timber framing with a plywood top" kind of approach. Is it 3 x 1? It also looks like you have used L girders in places - is this the case? Why did you choose this method and what advantages does it have? I would be very interested in understanding the thought process in both planning and building if you don't mind.

Keep up the great work, I am looking forward to more updates.

Cheers
Loconut
I need more space !
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

The baseboard construction down the two sides is the L girder system, this will enable me to easily model below the trackbed as Southernboy suggested and also it is easy for me to build the inclines that I require. As these sections are going to be countryside I will have cuttings and embankments and I thought that this method would allow me to do this, when the time comes to do the scenics I can use either the chicken wire method or ply supports with newspaper on the raised areas where there is more baseboard.

I think there are many advantages to the L girder system when modeling countryside the structure is very strong and you don't need to be very accurate with levels until the very last support for the trackbed is glued and screwed into position, inclines are negotiated easily and scenic levels can be changed with minimal effort.

The baseboard that contains the station, goods and depot is probably a little over engineered! It is 3"x1" and very sturdy, on top of what you can see in the pictures will be another board with the station area on it.

The construction was a little more involved than the frame and ply method but I think the end result will look good, this is my first layout and I want to explore as many different techniques as possible and this has started with the baseboard!

Thanks for the interest and comments
James
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi James,

Nice to see another Large N gauge layout underway this is going to keep you very busy indeed but hey thats the hobby nice work so far :wink:

Glad you decided about the detection sections so early on too, make sure each section is insulated its something im having to add as i did not plan for this in the track laying luckly it was not to hard to adjust.

Cant wait to see more progress

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)