My physiotherapy project

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.

Re: My physiotherapy project

Post by 47806 »

Well done! A very nice diorama.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.
piermaster

Post by piermaster »

Hi all,

Been busy selling off most of my extensive collection of Wagons-Lits (Orient Express, etc) and MITROPA (German sleeping and dining cars) HO stock as I have no further use for them and need some cash pdq!!!! I am keeping hold of a few vehicles for sentimental reasons.

Many years ago I had a 4ft x 1ft layout based upon a Wagons-Lits Petit Entretien (Service Depot) where a Jouef C61000 shunter moved Wagons-Lits sleeping and dining cars between shed and wash plant - it appeared at one of the first SNCF Society Newmarket shows and was written up in La Vie du Rail!!!

Just been to the garage and decided if 'Physio Project' can also do something similar:

Piko DR Ko1 coupled to Sachsenmodelle MITROPA Restaurant/Buffet Car and adjacent is a much-refurbished Jouef/Playcraft (dates from early 1960s) Wagons-Lits 'Night Ferry' (London-Paris) Sleeping Car.
In this case, the stabling shed is just that and the fuelling pad becomes the external cleaning area as well as refilling water tanks in the coaches.

Now, here is the problem -
The 12 inches long white expanse of board would normally house a Hornby HM2000 controller, but I would like to get the loco (all 2.5 inches of it) from one track to the other. I don't think there is enough room to lay a point, curves and a 2.5ins long headshunt. Nor do I think there is enough room for a Peco Locolift to be used as a sector track/traverser. Might have to find another small loco for parallel running.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers,
Dave
josh993

Post by josh993 »

i would go with a traverser or locolift and then build a separte block for the control pannel and place it behind the backscene where eve sems best for you/operation i'e you don't want the controller to far away from the cassette/traverser so you dont have to keep moving

i have use'd his method on most if not all my layouts and have found very promising :mrgreen:
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

how about another shed at the controller end where you would drive the loco into and then change it to the other track by hand?
it would also add scenic interest and room for extra stock(another small coach or a wagon)
D2850

Post by D2850 »

If you're just moving the loco would a 2.5 inch turntable/sector plate at the far end work?

Ohh look playcraft wagon-lits
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.
piermaster

Post by piermaster »

I have posted this topic on two other forums in order to gather as much information as possible from UK and overseas before I commit myself to anything.

Suggestions are:
Turntable using CD and its box with track at same length as the CD diameter.
Track geometry plans showing either conventional or Y points (within a shed or no shed).
Peco Locolift either full length or shortened inside a shed as a traverser or even adapted to an external traverser.
Extending both tracks into another shed and manually change the loco over.
Extending both tracks into another shed and have one loco per track.

It looks like another shed is a must - Anyone got a Hornby HST Shed kit please?

Cheers,
Dave
piermaster

Post by piermaster »

Decided to have another de-stressing session in the garage:

Chose to hide the Hornby HM2000 controller (big brute that it is) within a building and the Peco Train Unit Shed is ideal for that purpose!
Part-built Peco shed on left, Walthers Fuelling Pad centre, Hornby HST shed on right. Stock on show is Bachmann Alaska RR GP40-2 and Spectrum US spec Plasser ballast tamper.

General view of Fuelling Pad with Alaska RR GP40-2 and nose of Central Vermont RS11.

Gone are the Walthers track bumpers and in place is the part-built Peco train unit shed with doors sealed closed. All that remains is the final positioning of the Peco shed, adding its roof and insert controller.

Then I'll be ready for my first showing next February!

Cheers,
Dave
piermaster

Post by piermaster »

Layout now renamed to Fuel Pad at the suggestion of a friendly forum administrator.

Dave
piermaster

Post by piermaster »

This layout will be making its public debut at the Harwich & District Railway Society Exhibition at the Park Pavillion, Barrack Lane, Dovercourt, Harwich, Essex on Saturday 21 February 2009.

With me being away in Philippines and Singapore between 25/12/08 and 21/01/09, then starting new position on 26/01 with Balfour Beatty as Quality Auditor/Trainer on the London Blackfriars Station Redevelopment Project, I don't have a lot of time left to complete this...

PANIC!!!!!!!!

Dave
piermaster

Post by piermaster »

Panic almost over!!!!!

Today in the garage and:

Roof added to Peco Shed using the spare side walls as the roof to maintain continuity with the other shed.

Work out controller location.

Pick my best two locos for smooth and silent operation - others failed to perform as well including my trackmobile that couldn't propel a dummy loco, so there will be an e-Bay sale upon my return!

Aerial view of the whole project.

Almost ready for that first exhibition in February.

Dave
piermaster

Post by piermaster »

I hate to say this chaps, but........

'Fuel Pad' is now complete!!!!

The final locos used are Bachmann Alaska RR GP40-2 and a newly acquired Athearn SD45 Demonstrator.

Now all ready for 21 February!

Dave