Some NRM Xtrkcad threads condensed into one

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Hello.. er .. Sludge

I'm not sure what you mean. If you are trying to install it get the latest version from http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

If you're trying to find the application after you installed it, it should be in
Start > All Programs > XtrkCad4 > XtrkCad

or c:\program files\xtrkcad4\xtrkcad.exe
Regards
Rob
thesludge

Post by thesludge »

i realised what i did :oops: i saved it instead of running it :oops:
thesludge

Post by thesludge »

:oops: i am so struggling to use this :oops: pc keeps beeping at me, it says the turnout isnt available and all sort, bedns dont go where i want em to :? :?
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Ahhh I'd forgotten about the beeping :^) It beeps every time you try to do something that it doesn't like. I changed the default sound in Windows eventually so that it was less annoying. The beeping becomes less frequent once you get the hang of the program.
Which turnout isn't available?
You'll have to be a bit more specific about the bends.
Regards
Rob
thesludge

Post by thesludge »

LOL sorry for the rant. Im calm this morning 8) I was trying to create the oval, at the end of the layouts, but the bends just dont go where I want them to, eg, they go outside of the plan :oops:

The beeping really screws your head in lol
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

Is it possible to design an L shaped layout using Xtrak or do you need to make it in a big rectangle and ignore the board you don't have in real life?
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

bsa77 wrote:Is it possible to design an L shaped layout using Xtrak or do you need to make it in a big rectangle and ignore the board you don't have in real life?
no you make a big rectangle but you don't have to print the whole thing when you print it out full size.
Regards
Rob
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

thesludge wrote:LOL sorry for the rant. Im calm this morning 8) I was trying to create the oval, at the end of the layouts, but the bends just dont go where I want them to, eg, they go outside of the plan :oops:

Are you using the "create a curved track from end point" button?

Don't.

Use the "Modify or extend a track" button:
Click on the button then RIGHT CLICK on the end of the track and drag the curve where you want it.

If you have two tracks to connect with a curve use the "Join two tracks" button. Click the end of one track then click on the other track but hold the button and move the mouse until the new track sits where you want it to go.

If you can't find how to change the beep turn the volume down and put some music on. :^)
Regards
Rob
live-frog

Post by live-frog »

I'm glad this thread has surfaced again.
I've beaten a wall into submission with my head trying to figure how gradients/elevations & layers work.
I'm trying to draw my existing layout and I have a climb from the main boards which lands on an elevated section sitting over some storage tracks.
Forgive me for being optimistic but is it possible to depict one level climbing to the next in Xtrk ?
Regards
Ron
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

live-frog wrote: I'm trying to draw my existing layout and I have a climb from the main boards which lands on an elevated section sitting over some storage tracks.
Forgive me for being optimistic but is it possible to depict one level climbing to the next in Xtrk ?
Regards
Ron
you can set elevations at points of the track but it might be more useful to put different levels on different layers of the design which will allow you to hide the upper level while you design the lower level and vice-versa. You can even have different coloured track on each layer (see "Options", "Display", "Colour layers" and tick "Track")
Move track from one layer to the other by changing the layer you're on, selecting the track you want to move and clicking "Edit" and "Move to current layer".
Regards
Rob
live-frog

Post by live-frog »

Hi Rob , thanks as ever for your wisdom !! I've got the hang of Layers now ,I think. I'm 3/4 done now so I'll post something up later
Regards
Ron
thesludge

Post by thesludge »

Ironduke wrote:
thesludge wrote:LOL sorry for the rant. Im calm this morning 8) I was trying to create the oval, at the end of the layouts, but the bends just dont go where I want them to, eg, they go outside of the plan :oops:

Are you using the "create a curved track from end point" button?
Indeed i was. Ill try the other way. Thanks for that matey. 8)
live-frog

Post by live-frog »

et voila !!
Thanks again Rob,
Ron

Click on plan for larger image
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

wow! :^)
Regards
Rob

Re: Some NRM Xtrkcad threads condensed into one

Post by 80064 »

I am having another go with this programme but need some help. I cannot find which trackset is Peco N Gauge as it is not obvious to me?