class T9 chassis rot

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
GWR_fan

Re: class T9 chassis rot

Post by GWR_fan »

Tony,
for parts with a tight interface normal RTV is probably too thick (more like toothpaste). For these areas I use Kafuter 705 RTV. This is runny RTV that has good holding/sealing properties. They also make an electrical RTV to seal circuit boards from moisture. Available on eBay from China for about GBP1.00 for a 45 gm tube that lasts a while.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Probably not a bad buy even with the price. The coaches sell individually for upwards of GBP30.00 each, so the loco is basically free. I can just about guarantee every loco from this train pack release will be suffering the dreaded rot, which can be readily fixed with the Peters Spares brass motor mount. I recently fixed a number of them using the replacement part.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/348509/Hornby_ ... etail.aspx
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I must be a glutton for punishment by purchasing another 1938 Suburban pack, specifically for the coaches but the stated "slow runner" T9 most likely has the dreaded lurgy. Also purchased a non-runner SR olive green T9 (narrow cab loco number "729") as I have surplus brass motor mounts plus can maybe cobble the two T9 locomotives into one good model and have spares for possibly a running chassis. Fingers crossed.

At present Hattons want upwards of GBP30.00 each for coaches split from the set and currently have a coach listed today for GBP32.00 that has cosmetic issues.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Follow up on the above two purchases (mostly a copy and paste from the General forum section).

Not every storm cloud has a silver lining, but there are exceptions. Purchased a Hornby R2711 Southern olive green T9 "729". Described as a non-runner, I viewed the images and could see a loose decoder blanking plate. I reasoned if the plate was loose then possibly there may be a decoder onboard. Little did I know that the decoder was an ESU sound decoder. Loco cost me GBP40.00, but as well as a non-runner there was multiple cosmetic issues plus the trip downunder did not help with basically a kit of parts on arrival.

I was able to swap over some parts from another purchase, a Hornby 1938 Suburban train pack with a "hesitant" runner loco. I have yet to find a T9 from the suburban pack that has not suffered mazak rot and this one maintained the odds of failure. A little over an hour and the sound loco tested fine on analogue so I rearranged the speaker and decoder install in the tender and the loco chuffed away. I need to sort out the CV's as the motion is not as smooth as I would like.

The other loco, the T9 "312" is now a runner however, I need to source a drawbar to finish it. It is missing its coal load moulding and the two upright cab handrails, but otherwise is a gem. The three lined olive green coaches in the suburban pack were mint bar one coach the generator moulding was adrift in the packaging. The 1938 Suburban pack cost me GBP90.00 after VAT deduction. Given that these coaches are anywhere from GBP30.00 - 40.00, the pack was a bargain and the loco basically free, even if a non-runner.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Just a word of caution. Hattons have the following locomotive on sale in the pre-owned section.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/415240/Hornby ... etail.aspx

The non-digital version, R2830, is known for its mazak issues, so one must assume that the digital version is also similarly affected. If you are up for a challenge then maybe worth investigating. I considered it as I have replacement parts onhand and with the VAT reduction it would have been a reasonable buy, but alas, I have had more than enough challenges of late.
RFS

Post by RFS »

GWR_fan wrote:Just a word of caution. Hattons have the following locomotive on sale in the pre-owned section.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/415240/Hornby ... etail.aspx

The non-digital version, R2830, is known for its mazak issues, so one must assume that the digital version is also similarly affected. If you are up for a challenge then maybe worth investigating. I considered it as I have replacement parts onhand and with the VAT reduction it would have been a reasonable buy, but alas, I have had more than enough challenges of late.
By "non-digital version" do you mean DCC ready? All T9 versions are DCC ready with an 8-pin socket in the tender. I have R2830 and can vouch for this. Also the earlier version R2713 which is also DCC-ready. No chassis rot in either one of mine thankfully.
Robert Smith
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I suppose a glutton for punishment as I purchased another Hornby R2813 1938 Suburban train pack with the problematic T9 #312 Southern olive green locomotive. I am a fan of the little olive green greyhound. All up cost including airmail delivery was GBP92.43. With coaches in the pack selling for in excess of GBP30.00 each, the dud loco is basically free. I have a spare brass gearbox cover from Peters Spares to fix the issue so hopefully should not have a problem getting the loco running.

The beauty of these train packs is that by the time the models got sold mazak rot had affected the loco chassis making them unusable and so the coaches are usually mint. I am yet to find a single model from the train pack that has not suffered mazak rot (I now have five train packs). Web reports show this model is highly susceptible to deterioration of the gear cover.

Today, prior purchasing the pack, I gave all my repaired T9's a test run to ensure no further mazak deterioration. Some limited release T9 locomotives had not only the gearbox cover collapse but also the cast chassis.
sishades

Post by sishades »

I think there is a clue in the advert title "sold as seen". Bargepole anyone?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

sishades wrote:I think there is a clue in the advert title "sold as seen". Bargepole anyone?
I buy these train packs for the coaches not the locomotive. As I explained, the loco is basically free. I have rebuilt six of these now so well aware of what I am buying. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If I sat on the fence and twiddled my thumbs then I would not have several sweet running T9 locomotives for basically the cost of the replacement brass gearcase casting (GBP9.00). Sometimes in life you need to take a chance on the unknown. The pack was on the site for many months and only recently reduced in price by around GBP25.00, thus bringing the price down to a level where it was cost effective when taking just the price of the coaches into account. I do not see that I am buying a broken locomotive, just the coaches. The loco is just icing.

I see an item as the sum of its parts, not simply as a whole. Most would look at the train pack and see a red flag in that the loco is problematic. I see the pack firstly as three mint coaches and secondly a repairable loco. Win, win!!!!!!!! Check how much each the store wants for olive green Maunsell coaches.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Yes, but you have to admit Tim, not everyone is willing to trawl Hattons "pre-loved" listings day and night to strike the instant their price is reduced to absolute BARGAIN! :lol: That activity is something you actually enjoy. :roll: :lol:

I think plenty would be willing to pay that price once it amortised into a bargain price for the coaches alone, but they are an early bird opportunity item when you buy and not available at that price point as an off the self anytime deal.

As for the repairs. let's not gild the lily. Sure, most of the time, the only problem with the T9 is the failed mazak of the engine mount and rear bracket. But the brass mount less VAT is GBP£8 plus shipping, and technically now AU GST which I don't know if Peter's is yet collecting, which unless amortised with several simultaneous purchases is an additional £7 plus VAT IME. And unless you're happy spending fabricating an ersatz rear bracket, they are a (Hornby to blame) ridiculous less VAT GBP£4.50ea, so all up fixing each loco is a minimum GBP£12.50 for parts plus whatever their share of the shipping costs if doing it right. Every T9 example I've seen, possibly not as many as you, its either both parts' crumbled in the afflicted batches, or none.

Agree with your 'just icing on the cake' premise though. Those Maunsell coaches are beautiful, no longer available at promo pricing and so well worth what you're paying alone.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have a Hornby Toby. It shows no signs of chassis rot whatsoever. It is about 10 years old and in immaculate condition. I am planning on using the chassis for 7mm narrow gauge use. I didn't know that people have found chassis rot in this loco. Would the chassis be safe to use (As it is like new and scarcely run in... No signs of rot as far as I can see) as I don't want to buy a body kit if the chassis is likely to rot in the future. I believe myToby is one of the last batches they made? I may just bin the chassis and body and make a new chassis using the old parts as I don't want to risk chassis rot in 40 years time. (Not if I am going to the trouble of making something with it). How long is safe to know if it will happen to any of my mazak locos? I have many such locos and not had any issues with them, but I have to be honest and say that since this mazak rot issue has emerged I have only bought models I know that dont contain mazak, or the mazak is for weight in a plastic chassis so I can just use something else instead.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Peters Spares do not charge GST on direct "store" purchases. However, the tax collector, eBay, do charge GST on all purchases through their site. As yet I have not paid any GST to Hattons, but then I still use the old website.

I believe that an overseas store will only charge GST if it has in excess of $75,000.00 in export sales to Australia in a financial year.

As regards the day and night trawling, well alas, I no longer am able to catch the bargains as they appear. I need to be up at 3 am every morning to get the wife off to work. As I require lots of beauty sleep, I need to be in bed before the pre-owned list is released each day. By the time I turn on the computer at 3 am all the good stuff is long gone.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

The latest 1938 Suburban train pack arrived this afternoon so I set about repairing it. As suspected, both the gear retainer and the rear mount had disintegrated. While the pack appears as new/unused (as I had hoped, accessory bags unopened) the loco had a few cosmetic issues with one mid mounted access step broken away plus the pivot on the pilot truck snapped off. The bogie I drilled an undersized hole through the centre and fitted a 2-56 plastic machine screw installed from above through the chassis with the original spring sandwiched between the chassis and the bogie. A metal screw cannot be used as it shorts out the truck power pickups. The step was reglued with a reinforcing doubler glued behind it.

The loco was reassembled with a Peters Spares brass gear retainer and ran perfectly. For simplicity I prefer to glue the motor insitu as I distrust the fragile Hornby rear motor mount plate. As the price I pay for these sets is basically just the cost of the coaches I consider the locomotive as a freebie, so disposable. The brass retainer has two servicing holes so still able to lubricate the gears. If a motor fails or gear splits (not heard of it on this model) then I will strip the assembly for spares for other T9 models. I like to permanently connect the tender so fitted a small bushing to the tender pivot pin after the drawbar had been inserted. This stops the tender wiring from being distorted and possibly damaged.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Mountain wrote:I have a Hornby Toby. It shows no signs of chassis rot whatsoever. It is about 10 years old and in immaculate condition. I am planning on using the chassis for 7mm narrow gauge use. I didn't know that people have found chassis rot in this loco. Would the chassis be safe to use (As it is like new and scarcely run in... No signs of rot as far as I can see) as I don't want to buy a body kit if the chassis is likely to rot in the future. I believe myToby is one of the last batches they made? I may just bin the chassis and body and make a new chassis using the old parts as I don't want to risk chassis rot in 40 years time. (Not if I am going to the trouble of making something with it). How long is safe to know if it will happen to any of my mazak locos? I have many such locos and not had any issues with them, but I have to be honest and say that since this mazak rot issue has emerged I have only bought models I know that dont contain mazak, or the mazak is for weight in a plastic chassis so I can just use something else instead.
I have had about 6 Toby/Bill/Ben chassis blocks. Two have now disintegrated, the other 4 seem to be OK, but at least two of these four were removed from Bill/Ben locos and fitted with Toby wheels/pickups. I am not aware of any mazak issues with Bill & Ben. From my experience, there is at least one batch of dodgy Tobys and there is about a 50% chance of getting one. The good news is that the later batches seem to be OK so far and if yours is showing no signs of crazing in the paintwork, you've probably got a good one :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

So if it has not had it by now it should be fine. Mine is one of the latest ones they made. I bought it new about seven years ago.