class T9 chassis rot

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
GWR_fan

Re: class T9 chassis rot

Post by GWR_fan »

Reading the history of this problem it becomes very obvious that from the outset Hornby decided to wash their hands of the issue and either ignored requests for parts or succumbed to legal action before replacement was offered. I find it odd that even with subsequent production runs, firstly, the defect reoccurred and secondly no replacement parts were sourced to repair previous failures. The defect is well documented and the embrittlement of the parts is compounded by the very fragile design chosen for the affected parts due no doubt to the strict confines inside the tiny T9 body.

I decided that something needed to be done with my six Greyhounds and have purchased the brass replacement castings. I will systematically work through my affected locomotives, but realise that I will not be doubling the cost of repairs purchasing the fragile rear motor mounting (plus the complexity of dealing with the ultra fine wiring used) and will glue the motor to the brass casting. Hopefully then these locomotives will finally get a chance to stretch their legs.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

The word for Hornby's attitude regarding the T9 Mazak fiasco is "contempt" Tim. Either Hornby chose to overlook the possibility that contempt can work both ways, or calculated that human nature would dictate that only a minority of disaffected customers would actually exercise reciprocal contempt in terms of future purchases and so could be ignored as insignificant in terms of any impact upon their business model.

The backplate available from Peter's Spares as a spare part is AFAIK still an overpriced X-nnnn item originating from Hornby Tim. My replacement hasn't yet succumbed to failure due Mazak contamination. I only grudge bought the one -as a template. I made two off it to fit i conjunction with the brass mount replacements.

There are a few ways of replicating it, but the way I chose to was cut, drilled and sanded from 1.2mm aluminium sheet which is easy to cut and form accurately. Simple job. All the tools needed are a hobby saw, drill and quality set of small files or alternatively, some wet and dry to tailor make you own flat file -glued to spruce or aluminium, to obtain the flat surface and square edges as you do with a sanding block.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Keiron,
after all the other failures I think Hornby just thought, "Oh, no not another one. If we ignore it then the problem will go away". One wonders if any compensation was forthcoming from the manufacturer to recompense the company for the defective castings across many models. One also wonders if the move away from SK was in part due the poor casting history. I decided that wasting enough money on six brass replacements was enough of an insult to accept and any further expenditure futile as most likely the chassis will disintegrate before I wear out a motor. This is why I will glue the motor. It is ridiculous the price they are asking for such a flimsy end mount. The company should be offering them free as the original is pathetic and more artistic than practical. The disintegration of the flimsy class 31 cab floor castings should have been an early indicator that mazak is not suitable for such a situation.

When the brass replacements arrive I will slowly work through the models and hopefully actually see one run other than just sitting on the track with the motor humming away. I have not purchased a small Hornby loco since receiving these faulty models as I am not prepared to accept further failures knowing that no support is available.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Excellent service from Peters Spares the brass replacement parts arrived this afternoon. The casting feed was ground off and the casting cleaned. As supplied the casting is definitely well manufactured. The motor was glued to the casting and then after applying some RTV sealant to the underside of the casting it was slid into position. The chassis was then reassembled and test run. Not counting the time preparing the casting for installation, the replacement process took less than thirty minutes. Finally, I have a smoothly running locomotive. Five more to go.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

In the words of a former U.S. president, "Mission accomplished". Although in hindsight his words were somewhat premature. I now have a bag of broken, degraded bits of mazak and will likely post them off to Sandwich or perhaps hold off for two years and send them to the new corporate headquarters in Guangdong Province or maybe Guangzhou.

On a positive note I have five functional locomotives that actually run now and am just awaiting a sixth brass casting from Peters Spares to finish up the roster. For the many of you that have dysfunctional Greyhounds the casting is a God send and while it irks to have to correct another's sloppy manufacturing, the end result is worth the pain. The casting, though beautifully presented, does need a little "fettling" to seat the motor correctly but is a relatively simple task to accomplish.
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

Thank you for telling us about your experiences. Very sorry to hear of your problems, but grateful ro you for letting us know. The Hornby T9 is a lovely looking model, and has been recently on offer at bargain prices in Maunsell Green SR livery (which is the one that I would be interested in). I can just about run smaller tender locomotives on my main layout, although it was designed for tank locomotives. I feel as if I have dodged a bullet by not getting one.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

If you are willing to accept that failure may occur, the brass replacement casting is easy to fit.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Richard Lee wrote:...The Hornby T9 is a lovely looking model, and has been recently on offer at bargain prices in Maunsell Green SR livery (which is the one that I would be interested in). I can just about run smaller tender locomotives on my main layout, although it was designed for tank locomotives. I feel as if I have dodged a bullet by not getting one.
Of course Hornby get you coming and going on that front, because if a T9 will fit, so will the 700 which is much the same loco in low geared 0-6-0 form! It is a shame about the T9, so very pretty as a model, so very flawed as a mechanism.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

is the 700 the same set up as the J15? I don't have a T9 or a 700, but I do have a J15 so will I get these issues further down the line?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The J15 and 700 are very similar in mechanism layout. But worry not, the mechanism design is rather different - superior - to that of the T9 which must have been designed about ten years earlier. To date I have seen nothing to concern me about the longevity of the J15 or 700. Being a drysider it's the J15 I own, and feel it is the sweetest running of all the RTR 0-6-0s that perform on my layout, a very good mechanism job indeed.

In reality the 700 and T9 were the typical 0-6-0 and 4-4-0 pairing which served so many railways very well as principal mainline power in the second half of the Victorian period and up to WWI. The same boiler, engines, cab and other fittings, and tender, built in big wheel 4-4-0 format for express service, or medium sized wheel 0-6-0 format as a 'goods' loco: later this would have been seen as a mixed traffic type, as it had wheels large enough to get along briskly enough for secondary passenger work in addition to working goods. (There would also be an 0-6-0 mineral engine on lines with heavy mineral traffic intended for slow plugging along with a heavy load and frequently being stood aside for faster trains to pass, usually with a smaller grate to the boiler, same engines, yet smaller diameter wheels: this evolved into the 0-8-0, and then 2-8-0 to carry the forward weight of the superheater and make it more track kindly.)
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

Bigmet wrote: Of course Hornby get you coming and going on that front, because if a T9 will fit, so will the 700 which is much the same loco in low geared 0-6-0 form! It is a shame about the T9, so very pretty as a model, so very flawed as a mechanism.
A 700 does fit on my main layout, and looks very nice indeed pulling a goods train, thank you. :D
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

GWR_fan wrote:Excellent service from Peters Spares the brass replacement parts
Agree. For this, as well as on multiple previous occasions. Kudos to Peter's for sourcing a quality part actually fit for purpose.

Why exactly couldn't Hornby manage to remedy this?

Peter's Spares business model for parts is one of excellence in my experience. Consistent in every respect. Hornby take note.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

What is RTV sealant please?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

ROOM TEMPERATURE VULCANISING
Meaning a rubber that 'sets' without heating
Usually applied to silicone sealant, as its sets at room temperature without being baked in an oven.
Used as glue, leaves a 'flexible' join.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Thanks for that.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......