Reusable, modular layout base in N-gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
alan_r

Re: Reusable, modular layout base in N-gauge

Post by alan_r »

Hi Dave
I kept the 'thankyou' slip in the box and this lists the seller's name as 'Everydaygoodz' if that helps?
They came already painted and look fine even when closely scrutinised - and for a penny each!
Alan
End2end

Post by End2end »

All looking great alan.
I managed to get some of those cheap figures for 00. Great for repainting and popualting inside buildings and coaches. :D
Passengers3sm.jpg
Passengers3sm.jpg (135.49 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Passengers6sm.jpg
Passengers6sm.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
One tiny critique. Those black lines on the roof at the top of the stairs could do with weathering out a little as they are quite dark compared to the roof.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
heda

Post by heda »

Thanks for that Alan, found the seller but nothing listed at the moment, I'll keep a watch on it.
Dave
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

Following the relative success of the station bridge, I decided to set myself a challenge of another building. The Graham Farish 'Lyddle end' range of buildings are quite well detailed but stupidly expensive (even more so now!) and seem to have very high asking prices on ebay. I managed to pick up a few a while back, so decided to get them out and build a replica.
I decided on the 'Hampton Heath Colliery Tram Circuit' as it looked quite straightforward.
Lyddle end shed
Lyddle end shed
Cutting the parts from brick sheet and corrugated sheet
Cut parts
Cut parts
Parts for shed
Parts for shed
The doors were stuck on the sides closed as I didn't want the hassle of cutting the openings. The shape compares well and I think the doors work ok
Assembled shed
Assembled shed
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

The ridge of the roof is a single bead of the corrugated sheet
Assembled shed
Assembled shed
Once assembled, it then needed painting. First primed in grey I then set about trying out my newly learned painting skills, copying the colour scheme of the original
Painted shed 1
Painted shed 1
Painted shed 2
Painted shed 2
Painted shed 3
Painted shed 3
I have to say I'm feeling pretty smug with the final effect! :D
If anything i think I even prefer my version as it has smooth roof edges. I'm not sure why the Lyddle end model has ragged roof edges, but I think they spoil the lines of the shed.
As an exercise, I think I've done ok. It has shown me some alternative colours to try and the detailing of the doors is something to repeat again. It also means I could sell my Lyddle end shed and invest the proceeds in plastic sheet. I could also build some bigger matching buildings for a much more populous scene at a far more reasonable cost. Overall a success - happy days :)
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

Well, that looks like a cracking job to me, and
I agree yours looks more realistic than the original.

There's something about scratch building, it's very satisfying
and the items are also unique. I have just got into scratch building
myself, It is very rewarding knowing you have built something yourself.

Nice paint job too.

Jim.
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Your model does indeed look better than the horribly-expensive original 8) and I like the closed doors (a good idea that!)
The only constructive criticism I would offer is to give a wash over with light grey - just to tone down that red on the roof a bit. Of course it may be the colours are not faithfully reproduced in the photos and it is not required, but (for me) that would improve it even more :D
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

There were a few fundamental issues I had with my previous layout.
1) Some of the trains had trouble with the gradients, and to have enough speed to get up the inclines, they ran too fast in the scenic area (I like slow trains gliding by).
2) The scenic area was only about 25% of the track length, so half of the time was spent looking at an empty track.
3) The layout was too long for a 'normal' sized room
Moving house has prompted a re-think of these issues and an update of the design. A new frame was put together to allow a new set of modules in the front of the layout, the track would have no gradients and I would remove the storage capability, instead having trains stored in visible sidings. The curves at each end would be of a length that a full train could be out of view, so just after the tail entered a tunnel, the loco would emerge from the next tunnel just a second or so after, to give a more visual experience. By keeping all on one level, trains would remain at the speed they were set at for their whole journey. The overall length would also be able to fit into a more common room size.
My method of building on sheets of 50mm polystyrene gives modules of hardly any weight, so the frame could be simple and lightweight too:
New frame 1
New frame 1
New frame 2
New frame 2
New frame 3
New frame 3
As you can see, I have kept the existing module sections, which effectively form a background to the new front modules. Photos have my embarrassing clutter airbrushed out! :oops:
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

Once complete, the new polystyrene base sheets sit on top. This gives me a lot more space for new scenery.
New layout base 1
New layout base 1
New layout base 2
New layout base 2
New layout base 3
New layout base 3
New layout base 4
New layout base 4
Admittedly it will be a bit more 'train-set'-like, being a visible oval, but it may be a more fun layout to watch trains on. Overall width is now a shade over three metres (10feet) so should fit in any spare room if required. Depth is just over one metre, so plenty of scenery in the background to look at.
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

I've replaced the big end loops with simple 180degree curves. The principle of gripping the track with small cardboard pads is still the same, meaning the track is fully recoverable yet very well held. I used 2nd, 3rd and 4th radius setrack to position the grips to give a uniform curve at the ends, and any transition between them will be taken up by the flextrack
Measuring the track grips
Measuring the track grips
Once the glue had dried, I could then cut and fit the flextrack, using parts of setrack at the ends
Cutting the flextrack
Cutting the flextrack
The track was then removed and the whole lot sealed with paint. Grey and green were as good a colour choice as any, so it would look passable if the covers were taken off
Painted base
Painted base
Once dry the track could then be placed
Track re-fitted
Track re-fitted
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

The 180degree curves will allow trains to emerge from another tunnel back into the visible area. Here the through-lines will also have a passing line and two sidings. Being on the inner track, I can shuttle trains between the station sidings of the existing rear part of the layout for operational variety
Approaching the new visible area
Approaching the new visible area
Closer view of the sidings. The track is temporarily positioned between the brown cardboard spacers which locate them until the track gets glued down. They will be buried under the ballast, but ensure the track doesn't move out of position before the glue has set.
Sidings and through-lines of new visible area
To align the boards at their interface I embedded some wooden blocks to support the track and ensure a better connection. A bit primitive but simple and hopefully effective. They won't support much load, but since the boards are very lightweight, there aren't big forces so I think it should work.
Board alignment blocks
Board alignment blocks
Board alignment blocks
Board alignment blocks
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

For info, here is my intended layout plan. It allows two trains to alternate between the blue lines, whilst the other is parked up at the station. There is also a passing loop on the red line, again to allow two trains to run this line. The orange sidings can allow two trains to shuttle between the front sidings and the station sidings/terminus.
Layout plan
Layout plan
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

I've now made a start on the scenery of the new front module. Here I've cut the polystyrene for the river which will run in a channel from under the railway and under the small road crossing. There is also a ditch to separate the road from the rail lines
Starting the scenery
Starting the scenery
I then cut some brick sheet to make the retaining wall and sides to the road bridge. The rail bridge will not go right through the railway as this would weaken the board, but I think I only need an inch or so to give the desired effect. Painting the interior matt black should make the blind tunnel convincing
Beginnings of the road bridge
Beginnings of the road bridge
A quick hut was easy to put together using the previous techniques, making good use of some scrap slivers
Hut in the siding area
Hut in the siding area
The channel sides are wooden sticks cut into the polystyrene
The river channel
The river channel
Next to apply some light filler to smooth the sides and fill the gaps. As you can see, I've used two cut-off wall plugs to give the piped stream somewhere to emerge from (saving another bridge for the smaller stream!)
Filling the channel
Filling the channel
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

The tunnel approach embankments were then built up with layers of polystyrene
Building up the tunnel approach
Building up the tunnel approach
Gaps then filled with lightweight filler and left to dry
Smoothing the polystyrene with filler
Smoothing the polystyrene with filler
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

The Peco tunnel openings are pretty ubiquitous but at the moment I'm not bothered about making my own. To try to make them look a little less 'from-the-packet' I also painted these in a totally different colour scheme resembling the rock faces around the layout (the local stone that would have been used). The standard sides never really feel right for me and I found this one on ebay as part of a job lot with more right sides than lefts, so I decided to take one side and turn it upside down, cutting the cap stones off and refitting on the new top (left side of the tunnel). I also glued it to the tunnel mouth to give a rising embankment and a level top. Unfortunately the plastic is quite thick so it didn't come off in one piece, however the bits went back together ok. There was a small chip missing, but after painting it looked like a damaged cap stone just as you might expect in real life so I'm claiming it was deliberate to make a more realistic model! :D
Painted Peco tunnel opening
Painted Peco tunnel opening
The background wash colour gave the mortar, then I spent a very happy Sunday afternoon with a tiny brush randomly painting individual bricks. In its un-weathered state it does look a bit like a dodgey 1970s stone cladding, but weathering with a very dilute wash of black takes this away and I'm happy with the result. I used vertical strokes, starting at the top and followed a path that you might expect natural rain to make dirtier. These are now ready to place on the layout after the rest of the scenery is done
Weathered tunnel opening
Weathered tunnel opening