NSE making a start

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Grayum

Re: NSE making a start

Post by Grayum »

Again, I too am looking forward to your new layout... I need to get my NSE inspiration from somewhere! :D

Edit: While I'm here Daz, when you had Shaftesbury did you ever manage to find a solution to run bachmann mk2s with 3rd rail? Ta
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Why would that be a problem? Bit confused TBH
Grayum

Post by Grayum »

The battery boxes on the underside are too big or they stick out to far so they strike the 3rd rail. Daz mentioned about it earlier on in this thread. ..I've just brought some bachmann mk2s having forgot about this problem :?
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Nope still confused as the battery boxes are no where near the rail. I know third rail is slightly higher but not much, are you sure the third rail is to scale?

http://www.p4newstreet.com/mark2

I notice the center one (on the TSO) might be a shade low but being seperate it would be no problem to pop it off and trim a smidge from the top before re-attaching. (it might be that it's not fitted properly in the first place)

Hth

Jim
Grayum

Post by Grayum »

I would take a photo but my layout is currently 130 miles south..! If you click my thread link and look at the last photo you can just see the battery box sitting on the third rail.

I'm using wooden sleeper code 75 track and the standard peco code 60 third rail and chairs, so it should be okay. All my EMUs with shoe gear sit just above the third rail comfortably without striking it.

Earlier Daz mentioned Big Dunc uses the same track as me (wooden sleeper code 75 as opposed to the concrete sleeper) but he has 1mm gap between the mk2 under frame and 3rd rail so I'm a bit confused as to why I don't have the same :? I think removal and some fine sanding down of the battery boxes is probably the most likely remedy to raise them up slightly.

Thanks, G
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Are you using pots designed for code 100 perhaps? Another problem is that the third rail might be the right distance from the running rail but too close in relation to the underframe details (your track is 3.5mm to a foot scale but your underframes are 4mm to a foot scale. This means that your third rails are over 1mm too close.

Modifying the battery boxes would be the easiest fix.

Hth

Jim
BIG DUNC

Post by BIG DUNC »

I did indeed use code 75 wooden sleeper.
I used the code 60 peco third rail without the extra pots.
I did have to use a larger drill bit to countersink the rail chair slightly (about 1mm) in the sleeper as it would foul on locos etc otherwise.

HTH

Duncan...
Dcollins26

Post by Dcollins26 »

Do Weymouth and the quay! :D
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi all

I hope Daz doesn't mind but prompted by the discussion about bachmann mk2s clattering third rails I have been doing some investigations.

My findings are on my workbench

http://www.p4newstreet.com/category/workbench

Cheers

Jim
Grayum

Post by Grayum »

Thanks Jim, I'll be doing the same to my rake in the near future.
NSE DAZ

Post by NSE DAZ »

Hi all,

6 months has now passed since the decision to create another 00 gauge layout and I can confirm I have started the planning 8) I also have a 7mm layout bubbling along this is a much longer term build and will not be able to run at home due to the size!! so now think that I will focus on creating the 00 gauge layout for every day home use :wink:

I would like to take this opportunity wish you all a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2014 :)

All the best Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast
Grayum

Post by Grayum »

Looking forward to seeing some of these new plans, and happy Christmas too.

G