From a "Hunt" to a "Shire"

What are you up to on your workbench
Ex-Pat

Re: Shed rear door detail

Post by Ex-Pat »

Belated thanks Dad-1.

The next step was a small detail.
this “bracket” above the shed rear door rather intrigued me – is it a de-commissioned lamp bracket, or what?  Anyway it was a challenge!
this “bracket” above the shed rear door rather intrigued me – is it a de-commissioned lamp bracket, or what? Anyway it was a challenge!
The head of this brass lace-making pin was...
The head of this brass lace-making pin was...
battered flat on a steel set-square and drilled through (probably one of the smallest holes I’ve ever drilled!)
battered flat on a steel set-square and drilled through (probably one of the smallest holes I’ve ever drilled!)
A cocktail stick cross-section provided the collar (albeit a bit on the large size).
A cocktail stick cross-section provided the collar (albeit a bit on the large size).
The final product
The final product
T.B.C.
Ex-Pat

Re: Painting the Shed Roof

Post by Ex-Pat »

Following on from the introduction in my layout thread at: https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 74#p701274

re-painting was considered necessary.
Here I went to the other extreme using Tamiya “Dark Iron”- this proved to be far too dark and, very annoyingly, it came out quite shiny in various lighting conditions despite the application of matt varnish.
Here I went to the other extreme using Tamiya “Dark Iron”- this proved to be far too dark and, very annoyingly, it came out quite shiny in various lighting conditions despite the application of matt varnish.
So I next lightened it by mixing in a little white paint, and came out with this more acceptable version
So I next lightened it by mixing in a little white paint, and came out with this more acceptable version
Tamiya “Dry Rust” was used to pick out the edges of the sheets.  (That's not dry rust paint on the rug!)
Tamiya “Dry Rust” was used to pick out the edges of the sheets. (That's not dry rust paint on the rug!)
My black & white photo indicates a large renewed/repaired area on the station side of the shed and several of the louvre roof sheets also having been replaced.  These can be seen here having been picked out in a lighter colour.  Not having a photo of the yard side of the shed I have just plumped for the odd sheet replacement here & there.
My black & white photo indicates a large renewed/repaired area on the station side of the shed and several of the louvre roof sheets also having been replaced. These can be seen here having been picked out in a lighter colour. Not having a photo of the yard side of the shed I have just plumped for the odd sheet replacement here & there.
This overhead view shows the contrast of new and old sheeting.
This overhead view shows the contrast of new and old sheeting.
for the time being at least I am happy with the outcome, but may review the position after I have painted the shed itself.