Slow progress on a Norwegian layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
rosenblad

Slow progress on a Norwegian layout

Postby rosenblad » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi!

This is the first time I post any of my work on a forum but here goes!

The layout was started in November 2005 and is an adaption of trackplan number 48 "Virginia & Truckee" from the book "101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders" by Kalmbach Publications.

Here it is:

Being slightly disabled I really do mean slow progress and perhaps one or two ideas that most people might like!

Best Wishes,
Tom

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi Tom,

Like the track plan - nice long runs there and some lovely sweeping curves. Also, plenty of scope for some mountains and fjords for the scenery.

What kind of era are you running? I'm not at all familiar with Norway's railways, so am interested to see the stock.

Best of luck, mate,

John.
There is no room inside a box.

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:27 pm

yeah me 2 looks great though does that layout.

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:28 pm

Hi Tom

Yep nice track plan you got there, is it N gauge? sorry if i missed it already.

anyway good luck with it mate
Cheers
Adam

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:02 pm

Hi Tom,
Nice trackplan, I'm guessing that its an american layout? Would look great with old fasioned steamers - could do a western film cameo.... :lol:
btw, like your avatar :wink:

edit just looked at the title of the thread sorry - its a norwegian layout, sorry! :oops:

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:09 pm

Hi!

Thank you all for your nice comments! I work in HO/OO scale in that very sense of the word! I enjoy British, American and Continental railways so I intend to try to make the railway capable of running all of them as convincingly as possible, obviously not at the same time. All curves are 24" radius and the gradients are 1 in 50. My favourite era is the steam/diesel transition era. I do love the sight, sounds and smells of steam, but find the growl of a big hard-working diesel equally fascinating!

As I said in my first posting, I'm slightly disabled so in order to be able to reach all parts of the railway I fitted all the legs (there are 6) with castors. That was such a brilliant solution that I hope someone else on this forum might find them useful! Here's a photo:

I'm glad you like my avatar! His name was Lobo and he was the best friend I've ever had, but unfortunately died on the 20th of March. He was an old gentleman at 15!

Best Wishes,
Tom

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:20 pm

Welcome to the forum, looks like a really interesting trackplan.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Layout looks like a good challenge with the reverse-loops!!! :D

Good luck with it and excellent work with the castors :wink:

Paul

Stuart Reid

Postby Stuart Reid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Looks very promising, but I wouldn't worry about slow progress. After all if you finish it tomorrow what will you do the day after? Its there to be enjoyed and this one looks like it could be fun.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:28 pm

Geezer wrote:Layout looks like a good challenge with the reverse-loops!!! :D

Good luck with it and excellent work with the castors :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul

The reverse loop challenge was solved very easily by using an automatic reverse unit - it's DCC. I guess I should have mentioned that earlier. I use a Digitrax Zephyr and one hand held UT4 throttle. It's fascinating to run the trains using infra-red control with no cables!

Best Wishes,
Tom

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:45 pm

I'm only just getting back into model railways again after 20-odd years away so I'm not even gonna go there on DCC!! :lol:

Paul

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue May 01, 2007 2:18 am

Hi Tom!

Good stuff old boy. Looks a very interesting plan. I hope you intend to show us some pix of your efforts!

Smart idea about the castors if you've got mobility probs. I'm lucky 'cos my disability doesn't affect me as badly as it once did. Tell you what though, this is the best hobby to pick you up when you're p*ssed off :wink: I actually started again 'cos my doctor reckoned I'd find it theraputic! Maybe they're not all dumb quacks, eh? :)

As for the speed thing: who cares mate, as long as you are happy with it. It's not a race. Some guys on here have very little time on their hands for long periods at a time. It's not a race! Sometimes, I work on mine most of the day and can't visibly see any difference. It's all worth it in the end though fella!

Oh yeah, that was a sweet lookin' dog. I'm glad he had a good long life! I bless every day of 'free' entertainment I get from the 'Health and Safety Executive (Feeline Branch)' as well as the 'invaluable' assistance they give in the construction of my garden railway :lol:

Always feel free to ask if you need any advice matey

Best regards

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Tue May 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi!

Thank you all for your comments! They really encourage me to get on with things and do some more work!

Couplers have always been a big issue to me. All my european stock is equipped with standard NEM 360 couplers and all my American stock is equipped with Kadee couplers or the clones, again pretty much standard. My British stock is in a different situation! I really like to stick to standard couplers and with British stock that means tension-locks, so for many years I've been happy with Hornby's "big D" and Dapol couplers. However, it seems that the smaller Bachmann type is rapidly becoming the new British standard, while getting more and more difficult to convert to the larger types. After a lot of experimenting I have decided to adopt the smaller types on all my British stock. Here is a photo of a Bachmann wagon with all three types:

As if all of you guys in the UK didn't already know!

Best Wishes,
Tom

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Thu May 03, 2007 10:36 am

Hi!

The table was built using the "L-girder" principle first used by Linn Westcott of Model Railroader magazine in the early 60's by screwing together two 1"X4" boards forming an "L" to which the legs are attached. The L's are then joined together with horizontal joists to which the risers supporting the track bed of chipboard is attached. On top of that I have chosen to use the Woodland Scenics roadbed fastened to the chipboard with low-temp glue applied with a hot glue gun. After that I glued the Peco Streamline code 100 track and medium radius electrofrog points to the roadbed with polyurethane glue without trackpins. Here is a photo that might help illustrate what I'm trying to say:

I then painted the rails with Humbrol 186 Brown matt enamel. After that I applied the Woodland Scenics ballast dry, soaked it with water with a simple hand spray from the garden centre and saturated the whole thing with PVA wood glue diluted with an equal amount of water and a little detergent to break the water's surface tension. The next day the track is ready for running the trains. Sit back and admire the work and feel proud of the achievement!

One day, as I sat in my railway room enjoying my trains, I had a brilliant idea. Why not make a couple of holders for beer mugs! Here is a photo of one I fastened to the railway's facia board:

Best Wishes,
Tom

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Thu May 03, 2007 11:07 am

rosenblad wrote:One day, as I sat in my railway room enjoying my trains, I had a brilliant idea. Why not make a couple of holders for beer mugs!
In terms of brilliant ideas, that's up there with the best of them :D

Nice work on the layout as well. That looks very sturdy.

John.
There is no room inside a box.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”