Dad's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Blue_Dalek

Post by Blue_Dalek »

My Dad has finally started on the GWR extension.

Hidden storage/fiddle yard for the GWR.

And the Thomas & Friends branch station that will be located above the GWR hidden storage.

Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Ah, double decking!

A man that shares my vision :lol:

Cheers for the pix BD.Does your dad just like teasing us by forcing us to reach yet more heights of incredulity at how immense your dad's layout is? :wink:

Cheers mate. How's things on your project. Or are you 'just thinking' at the moment like me? :lol:

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Andrew Morrow

Post by Andrew Morrow »

i love the tunnel through the wall :D I must suggest doing that to my wife :P
Pete

Post by Pete »

I must suggest doing that to my wife
Why not just ask her to stand to one side as the train passes?

:|

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell
Andrew Morrow

Post by Andrew Morrow »

Pete wrote:
I must suggest doing that to my wife
Why not just ask her to stand to one side as the train passes?

:|

Pete
:lol: :lol: :lol: much more fun to tunnel through her :D
Blue_Dalek

Post by Blue_Dalek »

tinsleytmd
noticed some of the old triang engines especially the 0-4-0 pantograph locos are worth a bomb i have a freind who collects triang & he told me whats worth the most
Most of these were purchased new by my father 'back in the day'. What you have not seen in these pics are brand new, in the box, never been run, is one of the 0-4-0 steeplecab loco's, and a Dublo (I think) Co-Bo.
Ijdagger
Thats some cracking photos, Wsh my layout will look half as good, nice work, by your dad and you
those station sidings need a lawnmower dont they.
Also the council need to improve the paving by the bus stop some one will trip an injure themselves.
Thanks again for the great comments. Oakham is a backwater, barely used station. Maintenance is at a minimum, and the 3-times a week railcar service does not cause enough traffic to impact the groth enough. Same goes with the pavement.. it's one of those "we'll fix it when it causes a problem" things.
lofty
Burst water pipe scene is a nice touch and very original
Thanks. It was the result of trying to remove a footbridge that had been glued in place for 10+ years. Rather than try and cover up the hole, we thought to make it a point of interest instead.
Crusty
Is your dad looking to adopt another son?
He can't get rid of the three he has now.. lol
Pete
Nice pics, I do like the abandoned branch, very atmospheric.
I think the Health and Safety Executive would have something to say about those workmen though, I don't think a red flag would cut the mustard
How long has it taken to build the layout to this point?
Again, thanks for the great comments. Both my Father and I believe that a model railway is not just about the trains, but the little touches that bring it to life. This layout has been built, dismantled twice for house moves, and rebuilt. I'm 29, so the layout (in various incarnations) is atleast that old. The only section still intact as an 'original' is Brookfield Jct.
Dave777
Yes, that's my question too. I've mentioned on here about large layouts taking 5 or 10 years to 'complete' and I get the impression people think that's unrealistic. While this is a VERY large layout it should give us some idea (also useful to know if it was all done by one person, how much time they could commit to it each week, etc (eg, were they working))
The layout has been in it's current residence about 11-12yrs (i'm sure my Dad will correct me!) and is still nowhere near being complete. We try our best to show pics of the finished, or semi-finished area's. There are still VERY large parts of the layout that are just empty baseboards, or at the least un-decorated plaster. Now that my Father has retired at a very young 51, he will have more time to commit to working on the layout. However, before retirement, I would guess that at an average, anywhere from no time to upwards of 10+hrs a week
mumbles
can i come round to play?
also, i get the impression that parts of this layout have evolved, in that they have been 'finished' and then unmodelled to be able to start again?
Sure. Let me know when your in Ontario, Canada.. and we can setup a date.. ;) LOL And yes, parts do get ripped up and re-laid as the needs of the layout change.
Class 60
I would ask for the track plan but i think you would need a very big space to replicate this superb layout
Yea.. unfortunatly not within the realm of possibilities at the time. But, if this changes, this will be the first place it gets posted to. If it helps.. before the GWR extension was added, the layout took up Apx 11ft wide by 25ft long.
HO train man
what scale is it?
It's OO scale
peak
I bet your dad has hours of fun on this?
Except when your round there playing?
Oh yes.. lots of fun. Many a day has been lost to the depths of the basement :) When I am up visiting, there are upto three of us all operating and running trains at the same time.
Infrontcat
Oozes atmosphere. Love the Bachman 9Fs in a kind of 'I hate you 'cos I haven't got them myself and I'm frightfully jealsous' sort of way
My Dad just recieved both of them for Christmas. Evening Star came from my Mom, and the plain black one came as a joint gift from myself and my Grandfather.
Lovely old Lord of the Isles. I think that's the one my grandad 'gave' to my father because it didn't work (he was a tight old wotsit ). Sadly even the genius of Eddie next door couldn't get the little bas*ard to work
Mine works like a dream. Very smooth and quite a strong puller. It's been retired to the museum as the age of the loco prohibits regular running due to the heavy flanges on the drive wheel.
Ah, double decking! A man that shares my vision !
Just wait.. I'll get my Dad to take some pics.. just for you.. ;)
Cheers for the pix BD.Does your dad just like teasing us by forcing us to reach yet more heights of incredulity at how immense your dad's layout is?
Nah.. he does not show it off to many people in person. And the ones that do see it, can appreciate the skill and work that has been put it.. but nothing matches fellow BR modellers.
Cheers mate. How's things on your project. Or are you 'just thinking' at the moment like me?
I have done some work.. will be posting (hopefully) within the next day or two.
mmurnin900

Post by mmurnin900 »

some of that scenic work is out of this world. Love the water pipe scene and the one of the train going over a bridge behind heinz add. Scenary in that top drawer. One suggestion. In one of the pics there are bases on the people. From a distance look fine but for super detail i would cut them off and use a miniscule amount of hot glue or pva and a supprt mchanism.
Great layout
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5
cloudwalker921

Post by cloudwalker921 »

Absolutely amazing 8) Love the Thomas bit :D :D :lol:
Road Stone

Post by Road Stone »

Great looking track work

What I like about this layout is how real the Hornby building have been made to look. Gives me hope
I know Nothing!
Blue_Dalek

WD Loco's in action

Post by Blue_Dalek »

Here are some new pics.. inspired by the discussion about a WWII layout. They are not in Wartime livery, but here are a couple examples :

Q1 0-6-0 (Hornby)

8F 2-8-0 (Hornby)

Austerity 2-8-0 (Bachmann)

Photo Op at Brookfield Jct

Hope you all enjoy!
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Thanks BD

That was a splendid selection

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Blue_Dalek

Post by Blue_Dalek »

Your more than welcome, Tim.

--Derek
westbrom

Post by westbrom »

Great pics Derek, the more i see of this layout the more envious i get.

Neil
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Very good (as per normal) 8)

Lofty
Andrew Morrow

Post by Andrew Morrow »

it just gets better and better, I could spend the day just going through the photographs - brilliant.