Hornby P2 will no longer program

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
joshv8

Hornby P2 will no longer program

Post by joshv8 »

I have a Hornby P2 with TTS, it was running fine but has been packed away for 18 months.

Pulling her out the box this week it would not run, and will not repogram.
It will move on DC. All available to me is a Hornby select controller and the locomotive seems to keep reverting back to designation 03. My other 2 DCC loco's are running just fine.

For some reason has the decoder died or would a reset fix it?

And my understanding is at minimum I would need a Hornby Elite controller to reset it?

Cheers,
Josh
Roger (RJ)

Re: Hornby P2 will no longer program

Post by Roger (RJ) »

You could try resetting the Select, it has been known to cure many strange problems.

If you get your Select upgraded to the latest firmware version (V1.6) it will be able to write to CVs, reset decoders and get other enhancements. You have to send it to Hornby to be upgraded, the cost is £15. You need to get a returns number from Hornby before sending it in. Upgrading is well worth doing.

EDIT. Just noticed you are in Australia. Probably too expensive for you to send it off to have it done :(
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

Roger (RJ) wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:46 am You could try resetting the Select, it has been known to cure many strange problems.

If you get your Select upgraded to the latest firmware version (V1.6) it will be able to write to CVs, reset decoders and get other enhancements. You have to send it to Hornby to be upgraded, the cost is £15. You need to get a returns number from Hornby before sending it in. Upgrading is well worth doing.

EDIT. Just noticed you are in Australia. Probably too expensive for you to send it off to have it done :(
Thanks Roger,

Ultimately I'll have to have some sort of solution.
If sending the controller overseas turns out quite expensive, perhaps buying a new controller is the better option if it would have the latest firmware.

I like the DCC, the smooth running and the sounds are fun. But ultimately just looking to run trains, not use all the features. So the Select was ok.

Further thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Regards,
Josh
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

If you decide to buy a new Select you'll have to be quick as it's now discontinued.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

I have suggested to Hornby that they set up a local Oz dealer to be able to update the Select but it fell on deaf ears.
The annoying thing is it is a simple task to update the Select and it takes longer to crank up the PC and take the back off the Select for access than it takes to do the actual update. I have the necessary kit and the update file but I am in UK not in Oz thus of no help to you.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
centenary

Post by centenary »

joshv8 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:09 am I have a Hornby P2 with TTS, it was running fine but has been packed away for 18 months.

Pulling her out the box this week it would not run, and will not repogram.
It will move on DC. All available to me is a Hornby select controller and the locomotive seems to keep reverting back to designation 03. My other 2 DCC loco's are running just fine.

For some reason has the decoder died or would a reset fix it?

And my understanding is at minimum I would need a Hornby Elite controller to reset it?

Cheers,
Josh
Can you not try any alternative decoder, even if it's only non sound? If you can fit another decoder and you can program it, that suggests the TTS is faulty. If it doesnt program, then possibly the DCC controller is faulty.
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

I have 2 other DCC Locos that are running just fine so I believe the controllers fine.
Im guessing the chips faulty or needs a reset.

Be lucky if that P2 has done 2 hours running so that's kind of a bummer.

I guess my options are buy a new decoder

Spend the money sending my select to Hornby

Or find and purchase an updated Select or an Elite or something else entirely allowing me to reset the chip.

All expensive options unfortunately. However if this happens again in the future I need to be able to rectify it then I suppose.

Cheers,
Josh
centenary

Post by centenary »

joshv8 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:35 am I have 2 other DCC Locos that are running just fine so I believe the controllers fine.
Im guessing the chips faulty or needs a reset.

Be lucky if that P2 has done 2 hours running so that's kind of a bummer.

I guess my options are buy a new decoder

Spend the money sending my select to Hornby

Or find and purchase an updated Select or an Elite or something else entirely allowing me to reset the chip.

All expensive options unfortunately. However if this happens again in the future I need to be able to rectify it then I suppose.

Cheers,
Josh
The only other thing I can suggest is, if you have a spare DC blanking plug, take the chip out and apply DC voltage to the loco wheels and see if the motor turns them. If you dont have a DC controller, a 9v battery held against the wheels will do.

If the wheels \ motor do not work and the battery is fine, then it's likely the motor that is faulty. You could also gently try moving the wheels back and forth to check if the gearing or connecting rods arent jammed.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

joshv8 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:47 am...Further thoughts and advice are appreciated...
Go for a DCC system from a brand with local support - probably an agency - that has built a good reputation in Oz over the couple of decades of DCC becoming a commonplace for model railway operation. That would be where I would start in your position.
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

centenary wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:26 pm
The only other thing I can suggest is, if you have a spare DC blanking plug, take the chip out and apply DC voltage to the loco wheels and see if the motor turns them. If you dont have a DC controller, a 9v battery held against the wheels will do.

If the wheels \ motor do not work and the battery is fine, then it's likely the motor that is faulty. You could also gently try moving the wheels back and forth to check if the gearing or connecting rods arent jammed.
Thanks mate,
The loco does run ok on DC, so definitely appears to be the chip.
Bigmet wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:12 pm
joshv8 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:47 am...Further thoughts and advice are appreciated...
Go for a DCC system from a brand with local support - probably an agency - that has built a good reputation in Oz over the couple of decades of DCC becoming a commonplace for model railway operation. That would be where I would start in your position.
Yeah, I think thats good advice. I'm not sure what we have down here so I will have to so some googling this morning. Unfortunately in May I missed our one big model rail covention, there would have been someone there Im sure.

Thats 3 basically new Hornby locos now that Ive had issues with.
They're making Loco's that are quieter, smoother running and more detailed than ever before yet the Chinese approach to use poor or at least inconsistant quality materials that have poor longevity seems to plague them. Soft metal compositions, plastics that shrink fast or go brittle and failing circuitry. And this is in Chinese manufacturing across the board. And you would put up with it if Hornby wasn't charging so much for their products. Give me good ol 'Made in Great Britain' anyday.
Sorry, I shall step down from my soap box.

Cheers,
Josh

Edit. After a good look around online this morning, there just isn't much obvious in the way of selling and servicing DCC here in Oz. There are lots of hobby shops as resellers but no real support or expertise. From memory it was part of the reason I never made the full jump from DC or converting away from Hornby.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Whereabouts do you live? I'm on Bribie Island in SE Qld.
Pete.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Could you take the loco to a shop and see if they would reset it for you. I realise such shops can be far between in terms of time to travel in Oz.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

Peterm wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:42 am Whereabouts do you live? I'm on Bribie Island in SE Qld.
Hey bud,
We're down near Browns Plains, I work in Brisbane.
RAF96 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:01 am Could you take the loco to a shop and see if they would reset it for you. I realise such shops can be far between in terms of time to travel in Oz.
Quite possibly a good solution also!

Cheers,
Josh
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

if you have access to a suitable PC you could do worse than get hold of an Arduino Mega, a generic motor shield and a USB lead, then install JMRI - this will give you something able to fully edit and interrogate DCC decoders, as well as drive them.

assembling it sounds scary but its not, DCC-EX has an installer than will configure the software on the arduino, JMRI is... interesting.. but Decoder Pro isn't that hard to use and there are plenty of videos

the hardware is also decently cheap on eBay. not hard if the PC is nowhere near the layout to have one of these beasties on a desk connected to a length of set track straight either
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Buckambool Trains down south sell Zimo decoders. If an MX600 would fit, you could try one of those in there. These ain't the cheapest, but really good value. If one of these works then you could take it up with Hornby.

A bit of a trek from Browns Plains to us, but a nice day out too. We're in England at the moment, but coming home soon. I have a Lenz system that can do all the reading/writing that you want. We'd just need the instructions from Hornby.

Let us know if you fancy a drive.
Pete.