Speedlink livery - question about liveries and time periods

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Stokestation12

Speedlink livery - question about liveries and time periods

Post by Stokestation12 »

Hi all,

I'm planning a oo gauge layout that will be based on the early to mid nineties. I have a few rake of swallow intercity stock and locos, some mgr hoppers and some assorted railfreight stock.

I know that speedlink as a service died out in late 1991, but my question relates to the livery.
The red and grey liveried stock (ferry vans, box vans, etc) make up a good portion of my rolling stock (example pictured below). Whilst speedlink itself died in 91, would the red and grey livery have been used for long afterwards? I'm trying to gauge if my layout will be accurate beyond the death of speedlink or if the red and grey liveried wagons would have been used for years later.

Ultimately, I want to know because I'm debating on whether I could get away with my layout being late o0s during the intercity/virgin crossover?

Many thanks as always

Screenshot_20240529_180524_Chrome.jpg
Bufferstop

Re: Speedlink livery - question about liveries and time periods

Post by Bufferstop »

Repainting of non passenger rolling stock has always had a low priority, it's quite possible that some would outlast the new livery in their old colours.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
SRman

Post by SRman »

The liveries persisted for a good many years afterwards, although they often faded as well, so rather than red and medium grey, you could use pink and chalky grey!
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hi one traffic flow that remained using erstwhile Speedlink liveried wagons was was the various MOD trains, tge was an article in traction magazine earlier this year

https://gb.readly.com/magazines/tractio ... 9214701884

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

luckymucklebackit wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:28 pm Hi one traffic flow that remained using erstwhile Speedlink liveried wagons was was the various MOD trains, tge was an article in traction magazine earlier this year

https://gb.readly.com/magazines/tractio ... 9214701884

Jim
An interesting article, Jim. Wagons having a 'second life' after their original use.
Thanks for posting.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought