Anyone currently buying?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bigmet

Re: Anyone currently buying?

Post by Bigmet »

peterws wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm ...I didn't feel inclined to test-run my previous discarded models any longer, or start fiddling with them. One slip from my fingers and it suddenly becomes non returnable...
It's not for me to tell you what you should do, but I would suggest that is worthwhile becoming sufficiently familiar with model constructions so you can open them up and fiddle about with confidence to make them work properly. It's a great path to cheaply acquiring useful models.
peterws wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm ...has now been sent back to the manufacturer who'll decide, in the fulness of time (marvellous expression) on its fate...
Either fixed for a discounted 'sold as seen' item on their stand at a show, or dismantled to stock their spares supply. Both useful features of this brand's operation.
peterws wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm ...I feel it for the train shops now. Like piano outlets, they're finding it hard to keep afloat. But online purchasing, 'specially with Ebay or The Zon, do carry greater assurances for the buyer...
Assuming you are in the UK, customer protection means no trouble at all. It's been 32 years since I resumed buying new model railway products (the usual mid-life break!) and over this period I have had no difficulty returning for refund every 'not fit for purpose' new purchase from retailers - all of them with bricks and mortar premises - and the really good news is that the failure rate has reduced significantly over the years. (I am in the process of returning a model railway product at present, handled courteously and promptly by the vendor, and this is after a gap of five years since the previous such event.)

That's not to say everything is perfect. But since my most recent RTR OO loco failure (2004, Hornby Q1, split axle gear: by agreement between us the retailer obtained from Hornby a complete spare wheelset which I fitted myself) there have been no failure defects requiring replacement parts to fix, in any of my new loco purchases. Plenty of aspects needing attention for optimal performance, which I have dealt with over the years: wiper pick up adjustments, poor wiring arrangements, insufficient weight for traction, wayward springing on carrying wheels, topping the list.

Now some will say 'We shouldn't need to do any of this'; but here's the rub, we still get RTR OO for less cash than the comparable HO from the same manufacturing base. I'll take that saving, thanks: a little learning of the 'how to' goes a long way.
peterws

Post by peterws »

Yeah, I agree. Minor issues are better dealt with at home. But as one ages, minor becomes major rather quickly (eyesight and fingers, damn it) and I have to be judicious in some cases.
Just wondering at the moment, if Hornby's Fowler 4F has the coreless (5 pole) motor; I've sent 2 back. The latest was lined sublimely in deep red, and looked stunning, which was why I took a chance on it.
The new to be J36 in brilliant green livery is expensive, I've ordered it, and am wondering if it, too, might have the coreless motor. Maybe the J15 has it, too. Interesting to find out . . . maybe pne day.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Neither of the J15, J36 or 700 classes from Hornby's 0-6-0 types have coreless motors, in the specimens I own and have seen, but carelessly I have never yet checked the Oxford Rail J27: all are fine performers, as are the Bachmann 3F, J11 and C classes, which also have regular iron core motors. So much choice now in smaller pre-group 0-6-0 designs, I still haven't got over the shock.
peterws wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am ...But as one ages, minor becomes major rather quickly (eyesight and fingers, damn it) and I have to be judicious in some cases...
Aha, we are in the same boat. I have a couple of very bright task lighting lamps, as 'variable with light level' astigmatism is my main bugbear.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Nothing ?
No not quite nothing.
Today I ordered 5 packs of Kadee couplers mostly No.20's
All my kits had closer coupling mounts, now I'm adding to some Dapol longer buffered stock
where longer couplers are needed.
Not far under £60 to modify just 10 pieces of rollingstock !!

Geoff T.

Post by 4472 »

Just a heads up. Using discount code SAVE15 you can get 15% off all in stock at Hornby
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

4472 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:34 pm Just a heads up. Using discount code SAVE15 you can get 15% off all in stock at Hornby
Nice! I'd be tempted to try "Save £100" . :D

But a good offer for Hornby to give.
centenary

Post by centenary »

TMC doing brand new, Bachmann OO scale large logo Class 37, Loch Lomond, DCC sound fitted, £224.21

https://www.themodelcentre.com/35-304sf
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

Dad-1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:26 am Nothing ?
No not quite nothing.
Today I ordered 5 packs of Kadee couplers mostly No.20's
All my kits had closer coupling mounts, now I'm adding to some Dapol longer buffered stock
where longer couplers are needed.
Not far under £60 to modify just 10 pieces of rollingstock !!

Geoff T.
could be worse, there are jokers on Aliexpress flogging knock off Kadee.. they look good, until you realise the metal bar that hangs down is made of plastic