New Stanier Black 5

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bigmet

New Stanier Black 5

Post by Bigmet »

I see the Hornby model is now on sale, anyone yet taken the plunge? First the 'Hurrah!', overall a convincing model based on the pictures I have seen, the front end in particular looks way better than all previous versions. That's despite the clumsy light up headcode lamps 'feature', something will have to be done to them. This is one I will buy when the opportunity offers, as they were regularly seen off home turf. (Just a 'standard' Walschaerts gear job, in overall LMR filth brown 'livery', numbers and most of the paintwork concealed; as a child I genuinely thought this appearance was a livery choice, I never saw a clean loco at Snorbens or Watford, whereas the traction on the ECML was black or green, other than the heavy freight types which were in the LMR 'livery''.)

The question for me, will Hornby do the sensible thing and renew the other truly ubiquitous Stanier loco, the 8F? And maybe one or two other LMS designs that have never yet had a RTR OO model? There's the Stanier 3P 2-6-2T and Fowler'Austin 7' 7F 0-8-0 going begging. I expect all this hangs on the sales of the Black 5.
centenary

Re: New Stanier Black 5

Post by centenary »

Seen a few YT vids where people have got their hands on this LMS version.

There's a bit too much silver on this model for my liking ie smoke box door hinges and driving wheel hubs and yes, I realise this loco was probably like that in 'real life.' I'll hang fire on this until the other livery versions are available before taking the plunge.

Reviews Ive seen appear to give it a big thumbs up.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Locomotion now have a far more 'sober' version available, which looks way better. This is in 'as preserved' condition, LMS livery Black 5 as 5428 'Eric Treacy'. (This loco was only named after the LMS had long ceased to exist, whip off the plates, paint out the OHL warning flashes, to make a start on 'LMS-ing it'.)
centenary

Post by centenary »

Bigmet wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am Locomotion now have a far more 'sober' version available, which looks way better. This is in 'as preserved' condition, LMS livery Black 5 as 5428 'Eric Treacy'. (This loco was only named after the LMS had long ceased to exist, whip off the plates, paint out the OHL warning flashes, to make a start on 'LMS-ing it'.)
Just pre ordered it from Rails! Wifey's birthday or Chrissie present depending when it is actually available! We rode behind 'Eric' a few years ago on the NYMR so yeah, ideal.