What I get up to:

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
KIMBO

What I get up to:

Post by KIMBO »

I've decided to post a few pics of my recent restoration projects which I hope may be of interest to the folks on here. They are all based on stuff that was well past their prime and possibly one step from the scrap bin (or on to eBay with some dodgy pics and an enhanced description)!
The 09 is obviously Lima, it has extra wipers on the middle wheels and all the hand rails have been replaced by wire. The glazing is quite obviously by S.E. Finecast (form your own opinion on that), the transfers are by Railtec (I needed a magnifying glass to identify the smaller ones) and the paint is sprayed on by airbrush using Phoenix Precision paints. A coat of Matt varnish protects the transfers. Buffers are off a random Airfix model that was in the scrap box.
The two Lima Westerns are pictured to show the Railtec name transfers. Buccaneer has traditional etched plates, Sovereign has the "3D plates" by Railtec which allow for duffers like me to slide them about a bit - they are applied like a normal transfer. Like the 09 they've got separate hand rails and extra pick ups.
The Lima warship had the headcode assembly missing with a badly cut out hole in its place and the only option was for me to have a bash at a very early loco which was built without headcodes. Again separate hand rails and extra pick ups plus a set of white metal buffers finish it off.
So basically I've derived a lot of pleasure from these old Lima locos, I don't forget they are kids toys from maybe as long as 30 years ago so they will never be as realistic or run as well as what's on offer now. I'm happy with them and if we can all say that about our stuff then that's OK!
Steve
Attachments
LIMA WARSHIP 2.jpg
LIMA WARSHIP 1.jpg
LIMA WESTERN 2.jpg
LIMA WESTERN 1.jpg
LIMA 09.1.jpg
Dad-1

Re: What I get up to:

Post by Dad-1 »

Nothing wrong with some old stuff. I've re-claimed 3 pieces of Triang
and a few Wrenn wagons. All now with modern wheel sets and NEM pockets
so I can use Kadees, or tension-lock as I fancy, more like if I can be bothered
to snap in and out !! How lazy can you get ?

Geoff T.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Lovely old locos and excellent restoration! :)
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

They look OK to me.
Pete.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Cracking job. Nice to see oldies getting refurbished :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:01 pm Nothing wrong with some old stuff...
I would go further, 'everything right with some old stuff'. Various specimens on my operation, tooled 40 or more years ago, from H-D/Wrenn, Triang, Airfix GMR, Dapol, Lima, which look perfectly good against current RTR OO productions, and some actually better than much more recently tooled versions of the same subjects. I have a feeling that some of these older toolings which excel in apperance, do so because those involved in design and tooling had actually regularly seen the subject matter, and 'got it' as a result.

And as for kits, I still look for good builds of the long discontinued 3H wagon range in particular.
BHD

Post by BHD »

Very happy with my detailed Lima 09 and Western, there is more to be done in terms of buffer beam detail etc. but the 'look and feel' of them is fine - as are your efforts.

They are great runners too - with my 09 being mainly used on trip freights rather than stop/start traditional shunting.

I can also recommend for similar reason the Lima 33 (OO version), Class 20 and class 40.

Keep up the good work.

All the best
Pete
KIMBO

Post by KIMBO »

Thank you all for taking the time to comment, very much appreciated!

Steve