AJM Railways - anyone ever bought from them?

What do you want from a model railway shop?
InFullSteam

AJM Railways - anyone ever bought from them?

Post by InFullSteam »

I have bought a few locos from her but they always smelled like slightly like cigarette smoke when they came.

I've heard some negative things elsewhere on the model railway internet. I don't really understand her business model on how she's able to be a trader?
Mountain

Re: AJM Railways - anyone ever bought from them?

Post by Mountain »

She is allowed to trade just like any other law abiding individual is allowed to trade.

Smells, though they can be an issue, are not a criteria to be mentioned in a sale of this type of product and therefore is neither here or there in regards to the products sale-ability. (I am one who can get physical issues with certain smells but is not something I can complain to others about, as the smells that cause the issues are actually pleasant smells, even to me!)
But regardless of why, as long as the person is honest in their description and the item arrives in the condition the advert stated, the basic sales aspect of this one has nothing to complain about. The aspect of the smell is more an issue of if one personally wants to buy again. One also does not know if the smell relates to a pervious owner or the seller, but the simple conclusion is one does not have to buy another item if one is not happy, which actually saves both the seller and the buyer unpleasant feelings! (As no seller wants to sell to somebody who is not going to be happy recieving their product).
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

I buy a reasonable number of old kits - some smell of old sheds. 'old men' etc the and the brass is often quite tarnished. If I were not ok with that then I should just not buy them rather than demand perfection from sellers. It is what it is.
ColHut

Post by ColHut »

I buy from them occasionally. Only problem once was an item not in stock. Fast service and good postage out to here. Mind you I am in their target market, especially so given Hattons have gone. As always, YMMV.

Regards
SRman

Post by SRman »

ColHut wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:04 pm I buy from them occasionally. Only problem once was an item not in stock. Fast service and good postage out to here. Mind you I am in their target market, especially so given Hattons have gone. As always, YMMV.

Regards
Ditto here. I have used Amanda Jane over quite a few years: reasonable prices and postage and fairly quick service. VAT is taken off for items sent to Australia and New Zealand, at least.

In recent times I have bought several Accurascale items from her and all have turned up fairly promptly, with the most recent order taking only 7 days - much of the delay from any trader in the UK is down to Royal Mail, not the retailer. I have several items from other retailers sitting at the Langley Mail Centre, awaiting loading onto a plane to Australia, with one of those having been posted out from Rails of Sheffield the week before AJM's parcel.

I have found the odd AJM parcel does smell of cigarette smoke, which is unpleasant for me, but it's not a deal-killer and the contents are all fine.
ColHut

Post by ColHut »

In recent times I have bought several Accurascale items from her and all have turned up fairly promptly, with the most recent order taking only 7 days - much of the delay from any trader in the UK is down to Royal Mail, not the retailer. I have several items from other retailers sitting at the Langley Mail Centre, awaiting loading onto a plane to Australia, with one of those having been posted out from Rails of Sheffield the week before AJM's parcel.
Ditto.

Certainly interesting seeing stock parked at Langley :)

Regards
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

SRman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:00 am
ColHut wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:04 pm I buy from them occasionally. Only problem once was an item not in stock. Fast service and good postage out to here.
Ditto here. I have used Amanda Jane over quite a few years: reasonable prices and postage and fairly quick service. VAT is taken off for items sent to Australia and New Zealand, at least.
Similarly used AJM for new locos and coaches posted to AU on a few occasions. Reliable, good prices, adequately packed. No stale ciggy smoke detected here on those occasions that I recall though. Wouldn't hesitate to use again.