Best layout room lighting colour

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
crab

Best layout room lighting colour

Post by crab »

Hi, I'm setting up a new large (single garage) layout and have been wondering what is the best colour temperature for the overhead lighting. Do I go for 5000K replicating outdoor light, which looks almost too cold, or 3000K cosy and warm colour? Or 4000K in the middle of the range? Has anyone experimented? Planning on using LED lights of course.

Cheers
Crab
Jaz

Re: Best layout room lighting colour

Post by Jaz »

The best which is not cheap is ‘real light’ aquarium it keeps plants alive as it has ‘real’ light effects…I suspect prices have gone up a lot since I last looked you may need smelling salts!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Mine is still lit by 3 x. 5ft florescent daylight white tubes as used in design studios for correct colouring. When they need replacing I'll have to investigate LED equivalents.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
centenary

Post by centenary »

crab wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:08 am Hi, I'm setting up a new large (single garage) layout and have been wondering what is the best colour temperature for the overhead lighting. Do I go for 5000K replicating outdoor light, which looks almost too cold, or 3000K cosy and warm colour? Or 4000K in the middle of the range? Has anyone experimented? Planning on using LED lights of course.

Cheers
Crab
Id say it depends what you want: Do you want the layout to be in constant, bright light so you can see in each corner of the garage but not see any lights you may have on rolling stock or, do you want subtle lighting so you can see your loco lights etc?

I tend to find LED lighting too bright even in normal household situations with the so called LED 'equivalent' to incandescent lighting far brighter.

If you can, Id install dimable LED lighting so you can get the best of all situations or as near as possible that you want. If your lights are off the mains, you will probably have to install a dimmer switch. It's easy to do although if it's not something you want to do, may have to get an electrician in to fit.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I use the daylight fluorescent tubes. These give good colour rendering which is good for normal use and photography.
Pete.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

That's why I use them - standard flourescents and incandescents make colour matching a nightmare. Some layouts at shows have odd coloured grass and various rolling stock liveries that are definitely "off" because they were built and maintained in a clubroom lit by standard flourescents. The BBC used to have a short demo film of the effect which was done by "locking" the camera after it had been set up inside a shop, then taking it out onto the street.. Routemasters and pillar boxes in mauve anyone? You don't notice the extent to which your eyes adapt to the spectrum of available light.
Tom@Crewe

Post by Tom@Crewe »

Just seen this and very interesting. At the moment I have a single 30w 6500k daylight bulb in a modern swan neck standard lamp. which has been great while I build the layout (nice and bright)but really I want the layout to be a bright cloudy day a more diffused light.

I am looking to LED's but like Original Poster asks How do I determine the correct temperature?

I was also thinking more complex with a changing mix of light temperatures to emulate cloud moving across the area.

As for daylight fluorescent tubes I thought they had gone the way of the candescent bulbs.
Never enough time...........

Coppenhall Goods https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 22&t=50174
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

As for daylight fluorescent tubes I thought they had gone the way of the candescent bulbs.
That will be the problem when these need replacing. When I first bought them they were only available mail order in packs of six. I put the second three in about four years ago. Who knows these may see me out, but I like to be positive, so I'll look for the LED replacements.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bufferstop wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:17 pm... "locking" the camera after it had been set up inside a shop, then taking it out onto the street.. Routemasters and pillar boxes in mauve anyone? You don't notice the extent to which your eyes adapt to the spectrum of available light.
Thanks Bufferstop. Hence, I suppose, the idea that one wear the new suit/dress out of the shop to check it in natural light.
Not that that will do you any good once you enter the ballroom.

I am fascinated by the brain, and had not realized that our brains adjust to different lighting, maintaining a standard idea of "colour".
Cheers, Chris
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

It might be worth looking at the Wi-Fi LED bulbs which can be colour changed to suit what you are doing. I have some Wi-Fi LED flood lights that have three sets of LEDs in them giving the choice of daylight, warm white, and any colour you can make from RGB. None of these are expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Floodl ... B08L38TY3G

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-WiFi-Goo ... /ref=sr_1_