Souther Railway Non Passenger Coaching Stock

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
KIMBO

Souther Railway Non Passenger Coaching Stock

Post by KIMBO »

Southern Railway non passenger coaching stock.

I've recently painted a selection of SR utility vans made up from the Parkside (pre PECO stewardship) kits. I decided on Maunsell green livery to fit in with my pre nationalisation stock and locos.

Having done zero research into the matter until just before I need them (as usual) I find that the appropriate transfers (decals) are not available. The coaching stock of the era used a larger size of lettering than the utility vans as I found out to my cost when I tried the SR coach sheet from FOX transfers (absolutely no criticism of FOX at all - their products and service have always been first rate).

The top image shows the correct size lettering on a Ratio bogie van together with the larger, coaching stock, transfer from Fox. Incidentally this van is in Malachite Green and the lettering should not include the RAILWAY bit (I think) but I didn't know this at the time, being more interested in LNER/LMS subjects. The correct transfers on the bogie coach were supplied with it and are labeled " made by PC Models for Ratio", PC Models are long gone.

The bottom image shows the Fox coaching transfer in the gap it has to fit in, obviously too large.

I understand Ratio/PECO now supply the Parkside kits together with a transfer sheet but I'm told this is usually just for the BR period.

I'm hoping somebody might suggest a supplier of the correct SR transfers for the utility vans bearing in mind I've spent ages trawling the usual suppliers ranges.

Steve
cct 1.jpg
cct 2.jpg
Bigmet

Re: Southern Railway Non Passenger Coaching Stock

Post by Bigmet »

Cannot help directly with your request, best bet someone with a stash of old transfers? Maybe the quite wondrous SREMG site can provide leads? https://sremg.org.uk/

However, reference to colour pictures will reveal the wooden bodied SR utility vehicles rapidly became so dirty that nothing of the lettering was visible. Good illustration in 'The Big Four in Colour 1935-50' p158 of my copy: in a single photo in the bright sunlight of 1938 two such vehicles coupled up, one ex-works, one very definitely 'in service'. The clean one has 'Southern Railway' in full I think. The dirty one which is in about G1 scale, nothing doing.
KIMBO

Re: Souther Railway Non Passenger Coaching Stock

Post by KIMBO »

Thanks Bigmet, I've got that book as well and never thought to look into it. I fear that my option will be as you suggest to dirty them up like standard goods stock and include the odd clean item made by one of the RTR manufacturers.

There must be a gap in the market or this sort of transfer, I have a similar issue with LNER cattle wagon kits although POWSIDES seem to offer a set for these and will be getting a lump of cash from me shortly!

Steve
21C1

Post by 21C1 »

HMRS Pressfix transfers. https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers.html?p=3& ... type=11886 . Quite a range here both Maunsell and Bulleid types.
SRman

Post by SRman »

21C1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:41 pm HMRS Pressfix transfers. https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers.html?p=3& ... type=11886 . Quite a range here both Maunsell and Bulleid types.
You beat me to it! :D

The old PC transfer range continues under the HMRS banner, so they are, essentially, still available.
KIMBO

Post by KIMBO »

Thanks both for the HMRS suggestion. I've looked at these already and there's only one size of "SOUTHERN RAILWAY" on the sheet which I assume is for coaching stock, ie too big for my kits. I've emailed them with my particular request to see what size the lettering actually is. I know there must be something available as I see the occasional kit built wagon on ebay with the correct transfers in place (don't know how old they are though).

Steve
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Getting the right decals can sometimes be impossible.
You also have to be prepared to mix all sorts of decals. I have used HMRS LNER numbers
on a GWR in BR service build. Often a case of using the nearest you can find, even using
white when straw is needed - life 'aint perfect.

Then apart from yourself who else will notice, or even know. Particularly if it's rolling
around the track.

Geoff T.
KIMBO

Post by KIMBO »

Hi Geoff
Absolutely agree with you: "who else will notice". If I can't find something to sort it out then Bigmet's get them dirty comments will apply. It's really frustrating though, building and painting a kit of a fairly common prototype and then spending literally hours and pounds trying to sort out the transfers to finish it off when, as you say, who will notice! Sometimes suppliers list the transfer sheet title but if there's no full description or image to check through then you're buying something that may or may not contain what you want.

To illustrate my commitment rivet counting I've got a train of 10 HO scale Airfix/Dapol kit Interfrigo wagons and am looking around for a Spares or Repair SNCF or DB Diesel to haul them on my LNER/LMS based layout - just because I like the look of them - but am I glad they came with transfers!

Anyway at least I know I'm not the only one affected by transferitus!

Steve
SRman

Post by SRman »

Same here - near enough sometimes just has to be good enough, unless you can make up your own transfers to a satisfactory standard.

The HMRS Bulleid sheet has a few different sizes on it. I hope this doesn't breach their copyright by posting this. Note that I have mirrored this, because normally they are reversed to applied face down on the model.
20240329_170326_flipped.jpg
KIMBO

Post by KIMBO »

Thanks for that SRman, I just got a reply from the HMRS about the Maunsell sheet and they are specifically for coaches, as is the sheet from Fox transfers and hence the "Southern Railway" bits on these are are too big for my kits.

The sheet you've pictured is the Bulleid coach and loco sheet which does look promising with a smaller "Southern" and may be an option if I can't find the right Maunsell ones. From what I've gleaned Maunsell green npcs was labelled Southern Railway and later on when repainted Malachite this changed to simply Southern. What a minefield the kit building lark is!

Steve