Cheap homemade realistic fences - all gauges

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
ModelRailwayQuest

Cheap homemade realistic fences - all gauges

Post by ModelRailwayQuest »

How to make three types of fences for your layout - perfect for N, OO/HO and O gauge. Simple and easy - for beginners and intermediate level, ideal for modern industrial, garden fencing and rural field fencing.

https://youtu.be/G_jtrr4hJcs?si=hHABYw4a0tq6Gq1G
Dad-1

Re: Cheap homemade realistic fences - all gauges

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Dawn,

My favourite '00' fencing is using fine fishing nylon, or invisible sewing thread. Someone we
knew did home working on curtains and when she decided to pack it in she gave us 2 reels of
fine invisible sewing thread, a nylon material, but 1000 metres on each reel. Like 2 Km in 1 : 1
scale. So much more than a lifetimes fencing I gave one reel away.

Then either thread through drilled matchsticks, anything up to 7 strands. You can tension against a
curved line of nails, letting the tension hold in place from secure end anchors. The other option is
to wrap once around the nail leaving just a paint coat to gently secure on each post.

Drilled Matchsticks.

Tensioned against nails.

Wrapped around nails.

Geoff T.
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

The. Pictures just put up look really good, brand new nice and taut, I wish I could make real fencing look that good.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Is nice to use old track. Keep old Lima railjoiners! They are useful and actually my first choice if I had a choice when it comes to railjoiners! :D (But I do model in 0-16.5 so they kinda look good in the larger scale).

Thinking of it, I do sometimes end up with the plastic track base going spare when I make my own track, but sometimes it may end up being in a bit of a state... But some is salvagable.