Steam Trains to Sovereign Street on a 1914/1919 theme

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: Steam Trains to Sovereign Street on a 1914/1919 theme

Post by glencairn »

captrees wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:19 am That snow didn't last long?
It is still there. Just not reported in the news. :lol:
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Been away 'tasting hospital food'. Told to really take it easy otherwise I would go back 'long term'.

It is 1914/1919, a war effort to attend to.

Crown Point Goods Yard
IMG_2955.JPG
Former Rothwell Railway carriages repainted in Lancashire & Yorkshire colours seen at Clarence Dock Station.
IMG_2959.JPG
A Kirkstall & East Seacroft Railway train seen at Leeds Sovereign Street Station.
IMG_2961.JPG
Glencairn
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Good that you have an indoor hobby where you can entertain yourself without excessive effort. All the best for a swift recovery, with no further sampling of the hospital food.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Steady does it .......
I try not to 'Do' Hospitals !

Geoff T.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Yeah, I try to avoid hospitals as well. They're full of sick people. It's depressing.
Get well Glencairn! :)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

DO as they say mate! Personally I never need a second invitation to take it easy.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Bigmet wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:35 pm Good that you have an indoor hobby where you can entertain yourself without excessive effort. All the best for a swift recovery, with no further sampling of the hospital food.
Dad-1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:56 pm Steady does it .......
I try not to 'Do' Hospitals !

Geoff T.
Phred wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:48 pm Yeah, I try to avoid hospitals as well. They're full of sick people. It's depressing.
Get well Glencairn! :)
Bufferstop wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:54 pm DO as they say mate! Personally I never need a second invitation to take it easy.
Thank you gentlemen. I am not fond of hospitals, but they do like to see me now and again.

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

I have three clockwork locomotives which I run on my small garden layout. I wondered if I could run them on my indoor layout successfully?
Playing around I could double head trains; one loco electric, the other clockwork driven.
Double Headed.JPG
Glencairn
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Hopefully this post is a sign that you are on the mend? A clockwork loco that doesn't short out 2-rail, was it designed for operation on electrified track?

Now that you have escaped I can mention my FiL's reaction to hospitalisation - first time ever, well into his eighties to have his coronary plumbing revised with transplanted vessels and new parts - first visit post-op, only two at a time visiting in the high tech ultra high dependency unit, so his wife and younger daughter went first, then my wife (older daughter) and myself. Wife immediately dispatched to "Please, find me a decent cup of coffee"; which left me, and immediately I got the bombardment about everything causing him problems and please could I find someone who might adjust conditions to 'tolerable'?

Interview with splendid ward sister who remarked that he didn't seem very cheerful, so had to explain that with his limited tunnel vision in one eye not working due to the lighting unavoidably right in it, and his hearing aid picking up all workings of the bed and sundry ward equipment, so he couldn't hear what the staff were saying, and all the food curried/pasta/rice when he was a trad Yorkshireman of meat, spuds and two veg persuasion, and several other matters related to can't see or hear and thus cannot communicate. Ward sister then says 'He's not recovering as fast as we would like'. In the ensuing conversation it transpired that his GP had booked him in as 67, when he was actually 87. "Oh, she says, in that case he is doing very well indeed". She got it all sorted before we left, thus my rating of splendid. And he got the best part of another decade so he then had to cope with the inconveniences of the Covid lockdowns...

You really do need someone as an advocate was our final conclusion, if the 'medical machine' is engaged in a serious repair job.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Bigmet wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:44 pm Hopefully this post is a sign that you are on the mend? A clockwork loco that doesn't short out 2-rail, was it designed for operation on electrified track?
Hi Bigmet. I feel a lot better, thanks. I still have to undergo more x-rays towards the end of the month.

As for the clockwork locomotives; it is all an experiment that seems to work. I put the lever (at the top of the cab) to free running wheels. Doing so the electric locomotive pushes the free running one whilst 'hauling' wagons behind. Double heading. :)

Today I received two new railway wagons from 'Medway Queen Preservation Society'; a cause I support.

'Medway Queen' was built at the Ailsa Shipbuilding Yard 100 years ago hence the 'Ailsa' wagons.
IMG_2994.JPG
Glencairn
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Do those clockwork locos have all plastic wheels, provided the flanges go through flangeways they'll run on anything. It's probably easier to injection mold a thin flange than it is to diecast one.
How old are they? Anything produced in the last couple of decades would almost certainly have a cheapo can motor and battery holder. Making a steel drive spring in small quantities is going to cost more than a no specific 3V motor produced on demand in runs of thousands. Look after them, we'll probably not see their like again. :D
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Bufferstop wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:53 pm Do those clockwork locos have all plastic wheels, provided the flanges go through flangeways they'll run on anything. It's probably easier to injection mold a thin flange than it is to diecast one.
How old are they? Anything produced in the last couple of decades would almost certainly have a cheapo can motor and battery holder. Making a steel drive spring in small quantities is going to cost more than a no specific 3V motor produced on demand in runs of thousands. Look after them, we'll probably not see their like again. :D
.Hi Bufferstop. No idea how old they are or maker. (Maybe Mountain knows. I got them from him. The wheels are plastic.

One loco is already in Kirkstall & East Seacroft Railway green. A black one is 'in the workshops being repainted to green. A red one will be next.
All my K&ESR locomotives have names from Greek mythology, so an order will be placed at Narrow Planet.

Roll on for decent weather and they will be run on the small garden layout as well.

Glencairn
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Loads of atmosphere, I like the well weathered areas, i any people have not reached this point and look very sterile, so this is so much more natural imo
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Jaz wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:46 pm Loads of atmosphere, I like the well weathered areas, i any people have not reached this point and look very sterile, so this is so much more natural imo
Thank you. Jaz for your kind comments. Its all just little scenes of what I like.

I purchased two railway wagons from Medway Queen Paddle Steamer Preservation Society, a cause I support.
IMG_2996.JPG
I mentioned previously having three clockwork locomotives. One was already coloured green with red lining. One was black and is now painted green, awaiting red lining. The third one was a garish red. I have painted it matt black. It will be also painted green with red lining like its sisters. Then new names added.
IMG_2995.JPG
Glencairn
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

glencairn po[quote=Jaz wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:46 pm ...It will be also painted green with red lining like its sisters. Then new names added.
May I suggest naming them Nocon, Necti and Ngrods.