Dublo Three Rail Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Wolseley

Re: Dublo Three Rail Layout

Post by Wolseley »

Wolseley wrote:I'll post some photos later.
Here are my two Castles. On the left, the earlier three rail Bristol Castle (an original and, apart from a paint chip on the tender, mint example) with the half inch motor, and the later Ringfield version (a three railed conversion of a Dublo two rail Cardiff Castle renamed and renumbered as Isambard Kingdom Brunel). The Ringfield motor takes up virtually all the space in the cab and then sticks out a bit into the bargain. Not a very good look, although if you use your imagination it does vaguely look like a boiler backhead......
P1010096.jpg
P1010095.jpg
And, to show what the Ringfield looks like underneath the body, here are my two West Country locomotives, Dorchester (the three rail version) on the left, and Barnstaple (the two rail version, but here converted to three rail) on the right. I used these locomotives to illustrate the appearance of the motor, as I've had my Ringfield Castle apart several times over the last few weeks due to a number of issues with its performance and, as it's now running perfectly, I wanted to leave it alone.
P1010097.jpg
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Just to show you that I haven't abandoned everything, here's what I'm working on at the moment. I just have a bit of detailing to do on the loco, but the coaches are very much a work in progress. It started off as a Dublo 0-6-2T but the rear got stretched a bit, a trailing bogie from a 2-6-4T was fitted, and a few changes were made to the boiler fittings.

Behold the Hornby Dublo Highland Railway 0-6-4T:
P1010179.jpg
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Wolseley wrote:...Behold the Hornby Dublo Highland Railway 0-6-4T.
The ribs over the cab roof and coal rails around the bunker to add? Good conversion of this old model which never looked much like the N2 thanks to the un-GNR cab roof profile!
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Bigmet wrote:The ribs over the cab roof and coal rails around the bunker to add?
I might put coal rails on it but, then again, maybe not. I am undecided on that, although I will be adding a coal load to the bunker.

I was originally going to add ribbing to the cab roof but decided against it due to the difficulty of fixing styrene or maybe brass, to a mazak casting. I had visions of the details becoming detached with handling. In any case, this was not going to be a 100% accurate scale model anyway. I have an unfinished Sutherland Castings white-metal kit that will eventually fulfil that role.
Bigmet wrote:this old model which never looked much like the N2 thanks to the un-GNR cab roof profile!
To be fair to Meccano Ltd, though, as far as I know they never called it an N2 (although they gave it the number of one), preferring instead to just call it an 0-6-2 tank.
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

The latest additions to the locomotive stud are not Dublo at all, nor are they British outline. They are a pair of Lima Australian outline NSWGR C38 class Pacifics. For their day (1970ish?) they weren't bad models, although they were let down by the tender, which wasn't a C38 tender at all, but was sourced from Lima's earlier SNCF 141R.

They have pickup from one rail via the locomotive, and the other rail via the tender, with the electrical connection through the tender drawbar. To enable them to run on 3 rail track, I fitted a Marklin skate to the locomotive, and replaced the tender bogies with ones from a couple of playworn Dublo bogie well wagons, to give electrical pickup on all eight tender wheels with no need to rewire anything other than connecting the skate to the motor (the wires had to be reversed to make the locomotive go in the right direction as with most two to three rail conversions). One of them can manage four Dublo coaches before it starts slipping, but the other one can only manage three for some reason. As my layout is 8' by 4', this isn't really a problem.

The model was produced in both lined green and plain black variants. Here is the green one:
3830.jpg
Last edited by Wolseley on Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

My current project is finishing a pair of GEM Cardeans, using three railed Tri-ang B12 chassis. As I have no need for two identical locomotives, I am finishing one in Caledonian blue and the other in early LMS red. I can see that the most time consuming exercise here is going to be the lining......
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I love seeing 3 rail with the scenery and the various conversions are excellent. Nice to see a 3 rail C38 too :D .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

A couple of recent photos:
P1010595.jpg
P1010594.jpg
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Here is one of my latest projects, slowly approaching completion. I had an old DJH Caledonian Railway 60 class kit - a very early one with a chassis that consisted of two rectangles of brass, with the holes drilled in slightly different places in each one, which didn't help in assembly. I gave up on making a working chassis from the parts provided and took a Tri-ang Albert Hall, which ran well but had very poor bodywork

First I converted the chassis to three rail, using a Marklin skate, then I removed all the locomotive's superstructure, leaving just the footplate and, after slightly shortening it at both ends, assembled the DJH 60 class bits on it. The tender is the DJH one but with an underframe from Caley Coaches, as the axle holes on the DJH kit did not line up.

Here is where I'm up to. Photographs are very unkind in that they show up flaws in the finish that the naked eye doesn't see......
P1020002.jpg
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's coming on very well. Real working steam locos, once they had put in a few months in service after construction or a major overhaul, had all sorts of 'flaws' in their external appearance, dents and creases in the claddings and other external sheet metalwork, bent handrails, coal rails, oil piping and the like, cladding band ends not properly anchored, and on some classes characteristic structure deformations: many eight coupleds exhibited a bend in the front frames resulting from the daily battering in heavy freight work.

As for the parts provided for mechanism construction in the late 1960s onwards whitemetal kits that I constructed; these relied on the assembler knowing that all dimensions had to be checked and the parts 'fettled' to make a sound working job. I had the good fortune that the father of a schoolfriend had commenced his ME career as a premium apprentice under Bulleid at Inchicore, and could explain the process by which real locomotives were erected in this manner. In this respect the old kits did somewhat reflect the reality of steam traction construction, frustrating though overcoming the resulting problems might have been...