factory fitted sound decoders

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
tomtom85

factory fitted sound decoders

Post by tomtom85 »

hi all, tried google with little success. can anyone tell me what make of decoders are standard fitted to dapol, bachmann, rapido . i would like to make sure that the decoder has a full list of cv options which i believe the Hornby tts does not have. thanks in advance for any info.
cheers
RAF96

Re: factory fitted sound decoders

Post by RAF96 »

TTS is as you say limited but the new Hornby TXS is fully featured apart from direct chuff synching, which can be refined by way of the complex speed curve.
No idea about the others.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
centenary

Post by centenary »

tomtom85 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:08 am hi all, tried google with little success. can anyone tell me what make of decoders are standard fitted to dapol, bachmann, rapido . i would like to make sure that the decoder has a full list of cv options which i believe the Hornby tts does not have. thanks in advance for any info.
cheers
Dapol recommend their own brand Imperium decoders to control the generally 6 function light control on their models. Bachmann tend to use ESU Loksound decoders. Hornby will generally be their TXS decoder going forward. No idea about Cavalex.

Id suggest you'd have to investigate for each model as there are many connection socket types.
tomtom85

Post by tomtom85 »

cheers to all many thanks. will carry on investigations as suggested.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I don't know if you want to spend the money on these, but I use Zimo sound decoders. These have everything you'll need for superb motor control and all the sound adjustments you'll want.
Pete.
SRman

Post by SRman »

centenary wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:48 am
tomtom85 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:08 am hi all, tried google with little success. can anyone tell me what make of decoders are standard fitted to dapol, bachmann, rapido . i would like to make sure that the decoder has a full list of cv options which i believe the Hornby tts does not have. thanks in advance for any info.
cheers
Dapol recommend their own brand Imperium decoders to control the generally 6 function light control on their models. Bachmann tend to use ESU Loksound decoders. Hornby will generally be their TXS decoder going forward. No idea about Cavalex.

Id suggest you'd have to investigate for each model as there are many connection socket types.
I agree about Dapol, although they don't make a sound decoder. I have only retro-fitted sound to Dapol locos using ESU, so I don't know for sure which brand they use for their sound locos - it will be eitehr ESU or Zimo, but I suspect it's the former.

Bachmann used to use ESU or their own rebranded older versions of ESU decoders, but nowadays they use Zimo (or, again, their own rebranded versions of Zimo). For a short period they used Soundtraxx for non-sound decoders, and very confusingly used the same catalogue number for the subsequent much better ESU-based decoder (36-557).

Hornby's older sound locos used ESU, usually 21-pin, but for quite a few years have only used their own brand, which I personally don't like. I would rather buy a non-fitted Hornby loco and fit my own good quality ESU/Zimo/Lenz decoder, unless I know it's an earlier sound one with ESU on board.

In short, it is a little bit of a minefield.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

I read on another forum that the Imperium is but a rebadged Liais decoder, which in itself is a knock off of someone else's decoder.
β-tester
centenary

Post by centenary »

RAF96 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:28 am I read on another forum that the Imperium is but a rebadged Liais decoder, which in itself is a knock off of someone else's decoder.
Id be exceptionally surprised if that's true. Think Dapol have far too much reputation to damage by using a knock off of a knock off.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

centenary wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:00 am
RAF96 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:28 am I read on another forum that the Imperium is but a rebadged Liais decoder, which in itself is a knock off of someone else's decoder.
Id be exceptionally surprised if that's true. Think Dapol have far too much reputation to damage by using a knock off of a knock off.
Rebadging is simply purchasing a brand packaged with your brand label.

As they say in Cyprus - a friend told me and I will not doubt his word, even if it is a lie.
There were however some folk who I would check up on - if they said the sun was shining in July, I would go outside to look.
β-tester
centenary

Post by centenary »

RAF96 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:57 am
centenary wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:00 am
Rebadging is simply purchasing a brand packaged with your brand label.

As they say in Cyprus - a friend told me and I will not doubt his word, even if it is a lie.
There were however some folk who I would check up on - if they said the sun was shining in July, I would go outside to look.
Well rebadging' isnt selling a knock off of a knock off though is it? Rebadging or rebranding is a legitimate way to sell essentially the same item under different brand names whereas the former, isnt legitimate. :lol: