Transfers for wagon kits

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
goodtimefeel

Transfers for wagon kits

Post by goodtimefeel »

I have a bought a couple of couple of wagon kits from exhibitions. These kits do not have any transfers with them. Can anyone advise me as to where I may be able to purchase suitable transfers?
The kits are:-
Ratio Ref.591 SR 12 ton box van.
and
Parkside Dundas PC28 BR Shock Absorbing Open Wagon.
Attachments
Ratio Ref.591 SR 12 ton box van
Ratio Ref.591 SR 12 ton box van
Bigmet

Re: Transfers for wagon kits

Post by Bigmet »

I suggest a search for stockists of Fox or HMRS 4mm scale BR wagon transfers if there will be more wagon kit building in your future. Whether any particular stockist actually has the sheet you need, after careful searching to make sure you are getting what's required, whether early BR, later BR, TOPS, etc. ; that's another matter. Supply appears somewhat erratic.

Peco may well be able to sell you suitable transfers specific to these wagons, which are in their 'assimilated' range.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi goodtimefeel

Parkside Dundas kits used to be supplied without decals. Peco took over the
the range and now DO include decals.
Ratio have been part of the Peco range for many years now and were usually
supplied with decals.
As a result they will probably be able to help, they are usually very customer
friendly.
Fox Transfers do a large range, but not always easy to find what you want, although
it's usually there somewhere !!
If you want to do all as BR period the HMRS sheet is very comprehensive, but they
are press-fix and are not water-slide transfers. You need good eyesight to pick and
make up wagon numbers from individual numbers that are white on a white background
and under a white tissue !!
Somewhere in the FAQ section I once did a thread on using press-fix.

Geoff T.
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Cambridge Custom Transfers do a very wide range of wagon transfers for the pre-airbrake era, generally about 2 dozen or more of a type or similar types to a sheet. Service is very good. Note that they don't actually do 'custom' (ie bespoke) transfers despite the name !

Railtec are also very good, mostly for more modern wagons but there are a few earlier ones in the range.

Modelmaster used to do a very comprehensive range but see threads on here and numerous similar ones on RMweb about whether you're actually likely to get anything these days.

For just the odd wagon try the routes described above first l. Failing that, depending which SR van it is I might actually have a spare set if you get stuck, I'll have a look later.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/