St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post by End2end »

My free wood man came yesterday and although it might take a while, we've done the final measurements for the side and back boards.
21 feet and change. :shock:
He will try to get me birch ply, sanded and treated.
I've purchased 2 out of the 3 backscenes I need, only needing around 1 foot + from the 3rd backscene for complete coverage.
The backscenes ae 15 inches high whereas the boards will be 23 inches high. This will leave a gap at the lower 8 inches at the front lower edges of the boards which I will need to hid with a rock face or some such.
The rear boards scenery (and backscene) will sit 8 inches above track level so I can easily deal with trains and track cleaning in the storage tracks.

The 3 cans of grey undercoat I ordered have been delivered so I can move on to under coating more including the Linka platforms and water crane kit amongst others.

I've also ordered a "inthegreenwoodlaser" laser cut small school. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126017462480
Now I need to find a 3d old style stone "SCHOOL" sign to go on the front of it.
I think that's all for now.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Phred

Post by Phred »

End2end wrote:
My free wood man came yesterday
The possibilities are endless... :?
End2end

Post by End2end »

Phred wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:31 pm The possibilities are endless... :?
Not quite. SWMBO won't let me drill a massive hole in the kitchen wall to extend the layout any further. :lol:

In typical St Blazey's fashion my inthegreenlaser School kit turned up today with one of the bigger bits broken. :roll:
Message sent hoping for a replacement.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

The part for my school kit arrived. In fact they sent 2 but the weather hasn't been conducive for spraying the grey undercoat outside.
This also means I haven't managed to undercoat anything to make a start / move on with ongoing projects.
I'm also suffering from a trapped nerve in my back so I'm not up to par at moment as well as the inclement weather.

I think I've finally worked out how to paint the semi-circular shape on the upright of the water crane as can be seen in this photograph. (In the red box).
GWR Water Crane4.jpg
I've bought some metal punches to create a semi-circular paint mask using low tack tape. Well that's the plan. I just need to work out which size punch to use.

I received an email from Derails showing the forthcoming Bagnall "Port of Par" steam loco's from Rapido Trains. Looking at layout funds, I was about to put down the £20 deposit when Mrs End2end said I can't.... She's already ordered them for me. :mrgreen:
https://derails.co.uk/968002-Rapido-Par ... 0968%20Par

I'll need to work out how to add a stay alive capacitor in them.
Oddly the price AND the deposit amount on the Rapido Trains website is higher.

Mind modelling continues.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Still suffering from a trapped nerve so I can't stand / walk for long at the moment.
Regardless of the pain and also taking the opportunity as and when it arises weather wise, I managed to get a lot of spray undercoating done this week.
Both platforms excluding the end ramps of which I need to cast more of.
The laser cut school kit.
The water crane kit
2 x Shed kits
2 x Wheelbarrows.

It all took over 2 full spray cans.

The next port of call will be to start painting the items I can do immediately then making a start on the kits.
I have been considering whether or not it's worth it to add internal detailing to the school. I think this may be one of the rare occasions that I will not add internal lighting so are internal details important? Probably not.
I may add an external light to the building above the door.
I have also been looking around for a "SCHOOL" sign that would go on the front of the building like the "BOYS" and "GIRLS" signs you see on older schools but have yet to find anything. I may have to commission a 3D print from somewhere once I know the dimensions it needs to be.

I think that's all for now.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Phred

Post by Phred »

I admire your resilience, doing all that with a trapped nerve. I'd be lying down in a miserable heap if it was me. :(
End2end

Post by End2end »

It's more a case of doing as much as I can before the pain becomes too much Phred.
Then rest for a while.
Then repeat. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Still not much going on a St. Blazey's due to my trapped nerve.
I managed to paint the platforms I've created so far in a black wash to get into all the nooks and crannies but that's all really.
The whole track needs cleaning again as nothing will run properly but that means standing for a long period of time which I just cannot do at the moment. :roll:
Although medieval, it feels like I need to be stretched on the rack. :lol:

I picked up a copy of one of the model railway magazines over the Christmas period and found a great tip. :idea:
By adding copper tape (like the tape used to keep slugs off of growing food) to my Peco re-railer I can make it powered!
Has anyone else tried this already?

Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building